WTB - Bosch ignition module heat sink for Yugo

johnph

True Classic
I NO LONGER need two of these aluminum heat sinks. They fit the common Bosch ignition module 0 227 100 123 or 9 222 007 021, etc.
Also, what paste is used between the module and the heat sink? PARTS FOUND!DSCN1788.JPGDSCN1788.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1787.JPG
    DSCN1787.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I used the heat sink paste commonly sold for PC chip heat sinks

I may have a couple of the heat sinks, every Volvo in late 80s - early 90s had them

Edit - I have two , but that's all I have left. I would sell the pair for $20 shipped - the power stages aren't much use without them

16034022419717831035532369602870.jpg

Last edited:
The sinks are also used in Volvo 740s (mine was a turbo wagon); the compound is the same thing you would use for a computer CPU or high-current transistor, I use Thermalink 1000 silicone thermal joint compound.
Edit, looks like Hussein beat me by a few minutes.

Question about heat sink paste/compound. I like to add heat sinks to many of the electronic modules in my builds. In the past I've always used that heat transfer paste like described for computer chips. But the last time I went to shop for some I saw a new (to me anyway) product that claims to be much better. It is a film that you stick to the back of the component, placed between it and the heat sink. Any of you IT nerds know about this stuff? Here is one example of what I'm referring to:

Yikes Doc, that's a lot of $$$ for a nine inch square; the micro-diamond paste I used last on my computer was under $20 and has done 3 or 4 processor installs so far...

that's a lot of $$$ for a nine inch square
I just used that link as an example of what it is, but actually that might not be the same product I was looking at earlier. The one I saw was not expensive - like a couple dollars for about 6" square. So based on the price I'm not certain if the linked one is the same or not. But hopefully it is close enough to see if anyone knows about it, and how it compares to the paste type. By the way, I've also seen some pastes advertised with really high prices for extremely small quantities. I think there is a lot of "marketing" going on with anything related to 'technology'.

Thanks for posting that.

Listening to the product description toward the beginning of the video I recall more about what I was referring to in my original post (#4 above). The video is testing a particular type of graphite that is different from what I saw - which is also a (different) type of graphite compound. If you listen they even say it is not the same as the one currently on the market (the one I saw), which apparently they tested in the past with good results. So this test may not relate, but it would be interesting to see the prior test of the same product I saw.

Something else I noticed is there is a huge range of thermal conductivity ratings between different pastes. That might explain the big cost variance for them, but also might come into play when comparing a graphite pad product to any of the pastes - depending on which paste you compare with.

By the way, I also recognize the type of graphite they are discussing here. When I read about it a couple years ago it wasn't so much about its insulating properties as its incredible strength to weight and size (thickness) properties. Pretty cool stuff but extremely expensive to make.

that's a lot of $$$ for a nine inch square
After viewing the video @Chaostoy posted, I realized the product I linked in my first post (#4) was wrong. The description on that site says it is some sort of silicone material. The one I was thinking of is a graphite material. So the price of the one in the link isn't relevant. I looked back at what I saw and it is about $8 for a 4" x 6" sheet.

Hey @Chaostoy, I'm not much of a "YouTuber". Any chance you know of the other test those guys ran on the prior graphite material? He discusses it toward the beginning of this video, at about the 5 minute mark. The caption says April 29, 2018. If you are familiar with their videos maybe you know how to find a link to that test? Thanks.

Poking around on Youtube, I found something called "Carbonaut", a carbon heat transfer pad for CPUs etc.

Hey @Chaostoy, I'm not much of a "YouTuber". Any chance you know of the other test those guys ran on the prior graphite material? He discusses it toward the beginning of this video, at about the 5 minute mark. The caption says April 29, 2018. If you are familiar with their videos maybe you know how to find a link to that test? Thanks.
Here it is. If you click on the channel name, Linus Tech Tips, and then the magnifying glass, type in thermal paste and you will get several more recent results. Glad I could help in some small way!

Here it is.
Thanks. I tried to find it but didn't see this one. I did find one by someone else that said these films were good, but they were from one of the product makers so that doesn't mean anything.

I just reviewed the video and it sounds like the "thermal transfer" performance is basically equal to the better pastes. However it also has a couple of other advantages that might make it good for use in automotive applications. For example there is no liquid (as there is with paste, etc) so it won't dry out. And it can be reused, so if you need to do some electrical work that involves removing a module from its heatsink then you can just put everything back together without needing to apply new stuff. I'll see if I can find the other videos you refer to.

Last edited:
Curious. What's the reason for "upgrading" to the Yugo ignition module?

I used regular thermal transfer paste purchased at Best Buy when I had to replace one of the two ignition modules on my Lancia Thema. The car came to me with one missing--who knows why. Magneti Marelli BKL 3B. Found one on eBay for a Jag XJ12 for $20....but I had to reinstall it on the heat sink using the thermal paste.

9973D75B-EACD-464E-BF3D-BCCA61A7083D.jpeg

The reason I upgrade to the Yugo Bosch ignition is to get rid of the points ignition Ducellier distributor that came on 74 to 78 X 1/9 in the USA.
It looks like the heat sink for the Thema(V-8 ?) or Jaguar V12 is much bigger. The electronics engineers here can explain why that is needed. On some single seat race cars the module/heat sink are out in the airstream next to the head rest, so the tiny Yugo heat sink will do just fine there (I hope).

The reason I upgrade to the Yugo Bosch ignition is to get rid of the points ignition Ducellier distributor that came on 74 to 78 X 1/9 in the USA.
It looks like the heat sink for the Thema(V-8 ?) or Jaguar V12 is much bigger.

Cool. I was curious. Regarding my Thema, it's a 2 liter 16v turbo....the famous Fiat Lampredi twin cam found in the Integrale and many others. Has two modules for four cylinders....go figure.

Back