WTB: Lightened flywheel for 1500

Rodger

True Classic
Since I have the transaxle off, I thought it would be a good time to change to a lightened flywheel. Anyone have one for sale or know of a source for one? Vick's lists one, but it is out of stock.

Check with your local machine shops that resurface flywheels. I've had them lighten and reface it at the same. Been a few years but seems like it was an extra $40 for the lightening work.

remember to bring the flywheel and the clutch Pressure plate to someone who can balance them for you. Unless you want to experience vibration above 6 grand.

After thinking about it more, I believe $40 was for the regular service of the flywheel; check for cracks, true and reface the mounting surface, true and reface the clutch engagement surface and balance after all machine work (as JJ said, bring the clutch for balancing). To get it lightened was another $55-60. I know the total was just under $100 for basically a new and lightened flywheel. Plus it is still an original equipment part, unlike most of the aftermarket light wheels. Over the last 10 years or so I've noticed a lot of problems with aftermarket light weight flywheels, and they cost a whole lot more than having your wheel done.

After thinking about it more, I believe $40 was for the regular service of the flywheel; check for cracks, true and reface the mounting surface, true and reface the clutch engagement surface and balance after all machine work (as JJ said, bring the clutch for balancing). To get it lightened was another $55-60. I know the total was just under $100 for basically a new and lightened flywheel. Plus it is still an original equipment part, unlike most of the aftermarket light wheels. Over the last 10 years or so I've noticed a lot of problems with aftermarket light weight flywheels, and they cost a whole lot more than having your wheel done.
+1 Dr Jeff! That is about the exact schedule for pricing when I had mine lightened etc. The factory flywheel will very likely be slightly heavier than a purpose built lightened flywheel but there is a trade off in everything we do to our cars. Since I have no intention of building the 250hp beauty Poppa Tony posted the video of I have no need of a flywheel prepped to that level. Nearly every person posting, concerning any build, mentioned "balance" in your approach. Actual balance as well as matching components so no part exceeds other part capability to a huge degree. Just my .02.
Regards

Thanks for the advice. I will try the machine shop that I had reface it when I replaced the clutch last time.

Last edited:
As Rocco stated, likely you will not be able to get your stock flywheel lightened to the same weight as some aftermarket wheels. But there are a few considerations to that. 1) It really won't make any notable difference on a street driven vehicle. 2) Part of the reason for all of the problems with aftermarket light-weight flywheels is associated with the methods in which they achieve that weight. 3) Unless you are in a position where money is no object, then the difference in cost will far more than offset the difference in weight. 4) A lightened factory flywheel will be more reliable and provide a longer service life than a aftermarket one.

Well, the drawbacks to living in a small town. I checked with three machine shops and no one does that anymore and they did not have any idea of who does.

the drawbacks to living in a small town
Unfortunately it might not just be a function of living in a small town. I'm finding more and more that similar services are becoming fewer in existence.

Another example is shops that will rebuild your starter or alternator, as opposed to selling you a rebuilt one and shipping your core back to an unknown facility. One primary difference in this example is my local re-builder could custom build it for me, such as rewind my alternator for higher output. The other difference is in the quality of components used and workmanship.

If you can locate some place in a nearby larger city it might be worth the trip. For family reasons I've had to relocate to a neighboring state. I have the same problem here; cannot get a lot of the things I used to get back home. So a couple times a year I make a trip back for a day or two and get everything taken care of there.

Back