X 1/9 Dallara kit 1:24

Henk Martens

True Classic
Hello X 1/9 friends,

Today I found a company in Germany that produces a Fiat Dallara
X 1/9 1:24 model kit in resine. They offer the kit with windows and interior (decals) The chassis with wheels etc. is available separately.
This is nice for every X 1/9 model collectionist

Ciao,
Henk Martens

Site says 49 Euro...

http://www.ditech-produktion.com/

So with shipping around $125US or so.

Henk thanks for posting ! Very Cool and I have not seen that Dallara yet :)

Datenblatt_Fiat_X_1_9_Gr_5_.jpg

Thanks Henk, even though this is for slot cars, I'm sure it can be kit bashed to be representative of the car. Great, I thought I was done building models:clap:

Angelo,
Your car looks awesome in your profile photo. Do you have any more photos especially of the front hood and what you did with the hood vents.

Thanks,
Pete

Angelo,
Your car looks awesome in your profile photo. Do you have any more photos especially of the front hood and what you did with the hood vents.

Thanks,
Pete

Not wanting to hi-jack this thread too much but what's on the car now is a hood by Franco Acacia. Honeycomb nomex, 6 lbs, with a fair amount of thought put into vent size, location, and curvature. He even did a custom for me by filling in the rear vents. Making ducting to match was a bit of a pain, but compared to what was on there before, it's better by every respect. Unfortunately, he only caters to racers as it took me 2+ years to get this and he's declined making them for non racers, even though I've prodded him on several occasions. I'll post up something better when I unvail my X Prepared (USA)/ C-MOD (CAN) car.

P1040168.jpg

I bought the 1/24 Dallara resin body from Ditech-Produktion and mounted it on a mini-z chassis.

avantvernis01.jpg

The mini-z is one of my hobbies. Basically they are high perf small scale remote controlled cars. They run at about 15-20 mph if the straights are long enough, on low pile carpet or foam tracks. They look like toys but are in fact highly engineered with suspensions front and rear, a differential, ball bearings in the wheels and axles, alloy and carbon fiber parts, and all you can imagine.
They are highly upgradable with aftermarket parts. Some hobbyists are good at setting, others at driving, others at building and painting bodies. The HQ electronic from the remote control gives the steering and throttle a very fine resolution that makes you feel like driving a real car. We race them (hard) at clubs or local or national events. Up to 8-10 cars can race together. The cars are timed with a RFID tag or IR transponders. Each heat is about 10-15mn (about the range of the rechargeable batteries).

My Dallara X1/9 at 1/24 scale is unique as far as I know (well as a Mini-z). I set the chassis to mock the real car, so I located the motor exactly like the real thing (transversal between seats and rear wheels) because mass centerings with the Mini-z play the same role as in reality.
For instance a Mini-z Porsche 911 would have the motor located behind the rear wheel axle just like its big sister, the rear centered weight of the "small Porsche" would result in a touchy rear end beaviour but provide more maneuvrability in tight corners.

There was some work to make the resin mould smooth, and some mods to make the body fit the chassis. I planned to mock the Di Fulvio Dallara but it turned out that the metallic dark blue is way to dark, almost black.
The body has 2 coats of primer, 1 coat of satin black, 2 coats of metallic dark blue and 2 coats of clear.

Pics of the build:
Sorry, just ignore the french but you can watch the pictures here:
http://www.nanospeeders.com/forum_z/index.php?showtopic=1474

The car running on our local Mini-z track:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnamph2g8JA"]YouTube- Mini-z with X1/9 Dallara body[/ame]
The surface of the track is industrial (short fiber) carpet. It is a bit slippy but fun. Usually the track surfaces (at least in the US) are dense foam tiles.

It is good to take the (big) X1/9 once a week to go to the local club to race a scaled down X1/9 against the friend's ferrari Enzos, Mc Laren F1s, Murcielagos.
I am the only one who has the 1/1 scale counterpart parked outside :D Well almost as I don't own a Dallara :sigh::worship:

Last edited:
So...

Alain...

Care to mention a rough idea of HOW MUCH it would take to build a similar car... in time and US dollars?

Excellent work, BTW... the scale speed looks to be at least 50% faster that real life though...

And... I never could steer an RC car coming towards me much less do turns like that. DId you have trouble getting used to it?

Tony,
A Kyosho Mini-z readyset, car + transmitter is around $150. It is sold with a standard body wich you could use as a basher.
Add to this the 1/24 Dallara resin body described above (I could get it with a 25% club rebate) $50.
Than you have to add the necessary parts to make a stock Mini-z perform well: optional X-speed motor $15, soft tires for more grip $15, carbon suspension plate $5, ball bearings $15.
I added a few parts that are not absolutly required: alloy motor holder $40, alloy wheels made on order in Japan $50.
Then you have the paint, 3 cans of spray paint $30.
That sums up to $370 (wow! did not figure it out until now :eek:mg:) not including the batteries and charger (4 AAA for the car, 8 AA for the transmitter).
In time it took me 3 or 4 evenings to prep the body (filling holes, sanding) and do the detailing, using printed photos to make the rear lights, building the wing out of bare plastic, etc. The upgrade of the chassis was the easiest, less than 15mn swaping parts.

Well the scale speed is higher than true scale due to the physics. But what you see is actually the limit, at a slightly higher speed the car would loose grip or tip over. Thats the fun part of the game, particulary when several people try to achieve the same thing :)

I also had this problem with the steering when I started. The tip is to constantly direct your body parallel to the car, for instance you would look over your shoulder when the car is passing you. This gives a direct hint on where to steer, like if you were inside the car. But thats just the few first days, with practice it becomes as natural as driving your X1/9... :lol:

Last edited:
Hi Karfrik,

For the price you will get a box with the resin body and that is pretty much it.
In the box there is a printed sheet of paper with the accessories on them, seat belts, interior, lights, grills.
There is also a clear plastic foil to cut the windows out and a rectangle piece of plastic for the wing. For my part I used none of them, only the body.

Thanks for the thorough answer...

... and sorry if I had REALITY slap you in the face.

$500 bucks is about what I expected... I know of others that have literally THOUSANDS invested it the hobby... and many are punk teenagers! HA!

I got caught up in restoring Pedal Cars a few years back supposedly for my g-kids... but now they don't fit in them either... but one... I spent $750 dollars on and that was for parts and the initial cost. Worth about $3500 when I was done, maybe still worth about $1500 today... but I kinda got over it.

I decided if I can't actually FIT in the car, I should stop doing things like that!

He he... It would be OK if the Dallara was my only investment in the hobby. But it is just the last model to date.
Here is my collection so far
Not all are R/C, well they all are bodies designed to fit a R/C chassis but only those with comments on them on the picture are actually mounted on a chassis.
Here you can have a closer look to a few of them

From now I will focus my investments on the Fiat X1/9. I realized that my 1500 needs far less money than what put in the R/C hobby to become perfect :)

OH MY GOD!!!

You are indeed in NEED of therapy...

Sick, sick, sick... and RICH, RICH, RICH... or at least you were at one time, rich!

HAHAHAHA!

What a great collection... I'll need to go through them again... I really loved the Delorean... Have you seen Paul's converted X1/9 he uses in parades?

Nah... I started the collection ten years ago... Some people put their money in other things that most of the time would not last that long :)
I am so glad I could finally add a X1/9 to the list...

Yep I have seen Paul's X Time (I think it is the name) on photos and video. It is a nice and funny conversion.

Yeah... a lot of fun...

This thing he did with the wheels with mirrors and all was really quite clever!

Congrats on such a cool car collection.

Back