X paint color and visibility

Most collisions are stupidity driven.
Late mom, texting teen, 2-beer blue collar dude lane changing your ass has nothing to do with color. Inattentiveness or risk taking starts the ball rolling, poor training finishes things off.

It's motion that catches the eye. Ask any patrolman investigating collisions, or writing a ****-ton of tickets. Whether a car is bright orange, or flat black makes no difference in a non clinical setting (although we all know red is the fastest).

Bright, dark, metallic, solid...the best paint is the one that makes you happy.
In this age of easy bluetooth implementation and a plethora of phone mounts to enable hands-free voice calling, I saw maybe 10 instances today of people holding phones to their ears, changing lanes without signaling all while driving 70mph. At least three of them were TEXTING! And people wonder why their insurance rates are so high….
My get-off-my-lawn idea: make all first-time drivers have to drive manual for their first five years.
Done.

I have come to the conclusion that the car is so small they misjudge the distance thinking I am further away than I really am.
I also think a very small vehicle may generally be perceived as being slow. Therefore they assume there is plenty of time before you reach them, so they go ahead and pull out in front of you. Furthermore there may be a psychological influence that being so small it is less of a threat, less dangerous, less damaging, and therefore less of a risk to take more chance with it.

Or to put all that in the opposite context, one of those huge menacing looking pickup trucks that's lifted way up in the air on gigantic wheels/tires may be perceived as being closer, faster, more threatening than it is.

My get-off-my-lawn idea: make all first-time drivers have to drive manual for their first five years.
Done.

That's not a get off my lawn idea, in fact, both of my daughters had no choice--I forced them to learn and their first cars were fun manuals---Mini Cooper for one, New Beetle fir the other. They are 18 and 16 now.

Both drive manuals just fine. I don't know why more parents--especially "car guys" don't do this for their kids, but many I know of seek out the nearest Toyota Highlander and off they go.

I think your idea is oerfect.

Thirty years of motorcycling taught me many things that apply to driving small cars. Drive like your X is invisible. Drive like a fighter pilot, head on a swivel and intense situational awareness. I make driving a game with good concentration. Assume the car at a side street WILL pull out in front of you and be prepared. Watch the outside rear view mirror of the car ahead but in the adjacent lane, you should see his eyes and he could easily be sending subliminal messages he will be moving into your lane. "but I was in the right" won't do you much on your trip to heaven.

Having said all that, and it worked very well for me, once I got into my 70s I find it hard to maintain that level of concentration and am constantly berating myself for letting my mind drift while driving thinking about such important things as "I wonder what color I should paint the X" or "what can I have for lunch that's gluten free?".

As pointed out, small cars will appear further away, motorcycles in front of a car seem invisible and the driver behind a bke is actually focusing on the car in front of the bike which is why most bike riders seem be tailgated all the time.

Cell phone has just added to the misery. Talking and texting on the phone means all the above is damn near useless at the celled driver is menatlly somewhere else, not in their car.

Fortunately, the X, as small as it is, is built like a tank.

When I worked with the local SCCA to host Street Survival schools, we would make the students just hold their phones (not call or text) and do the emergency lane change maneuver. Amazing how many cones they would kill!

Both my millennial kids own and prefer manual transmissions. At least one thing I did right in raising them. :)

Thirty years of motorcycling taught me many things that apply to driving small cars. Drive like your X is invisible. Drive like a fighter pilot, head on a swivel and intense situational awareness. I make driving a game with good concentration. Assume the car at a side street WILL pull out in front of you and be prepared. Watch the outside rear view mirror of the car ahead but in the adjacent lane, you should see his eyes and he could easily be sending subliminal messages he will be moving into your lane. "but I was in the right" won't do you much on your trip to heaven.

Having said all that, and it worked very well for me, once I got into my 70s I find it hard to maintain that level of concentration and am constantly berating myself for letting my mind drift while driving thinking about such important things as "I wonder what color I should paint the X" or "what can I have for lunch that's gluten free?".

As pointed out, small cars will appear further away, motorcycles in front of a car seem invisible and the driver behind a bke is actually focusing on the car in front of the bike which is why most bike riders seem be tailgated all the time.

Cell phone has just added to the misery. Talking and texting on the phone means all the above is damn near useless at the celled driver is menatlly somewhere else, not in their car.

Fortunately, the X, as small as it is, is built like a tank.
I'm 75 and very conscious about it. Give myself a talk to be aware before I drive be it my X19 or the Land Cruiser.
Past Motorcycle riding habits still apply.
I am always anticipating what the other driver is going to do.
On overcast or rainy days watch for the morons that drive dark colored car with no lights on.

Adding a little more to the 'science' behind this, having various lights on during the day will stimulate the human eye more than any color will. Extremely simplified, but color is the perception of various wavelengths bouncing off the surface. But there's more photoreceptors in the eye to detect direct "light" than particular wavelengths reflecting back. You mentioned having "yellow Hella 500 fog lights that I use as daytime running lights". That is a big help. Perhaps add additional lights if you still aren't being seen.

I think the yellow lights are different enough that they catch other driver's attention. The Hella 500s are hard to find with a yellow lens but easy enough to get the proper bulb in yellow.

Kermit Green ...
IMG_5928.JPG

Now THAT would catch anyone's eyes! But sadly the anyones are on their cellphones and aren't even looking out their windshield.

Back