X1/9 AC Restoration and Upgrade - What the wife wants, she gets

Ya, usually expansion valves (and other 'cold side' parts) are wrapped with a roll of sticky insulation material that is commonly used for AC stuff.
I imagine that black plastic tray is really more of a cover to clean up the looks...otherwise you can see some of the valve hanging down.

Recall that this project was started last August when the wife requested that I tackle the X1/9s AC and get it going again (http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/18173/).
So these are the "ingredients." In the next installment I will start reviewing details of each of the components and any tricks that I discovered along the way. Stay tuned!

Hey Larry

I'm going to do away with the hard line (below) - I'm assuming the fitting on that is MOR (not as illustrated), since the line attached is FOR? Can you verify?

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 7.41.41 PM.png

EDIT - looking at a pic of mine with that hard line, I guess it makes more sense to leave it alone & make a new line to attach where the Frost valve currently exists.

Last edited:
Good catch. Correct it looks like I switched the description of the fitting types for the high pressure and low pressure fittings in the diagram. That should be a MIOR #10.

Good catch. Correct it looks like I switched the description of the fitting types for the high pressure and low pressure fittings in the diagram. That should be a MIOR #10.

Thanks for the update, Larry.

Does that mean that if a hose fitting is listed as FOR the male side is always MIOR? I’m a little confused since there is only one version Female oring (or am I missing something?).

Edit: I realized my question only exists in the event that a stock hose is being adapted to extend/bypass a component in the manner I am considering, as that is where the question of mating fitting arises.

Last edited:
Help me out. Isn't MIOR ("male insert o-ring") the same as male o-ring (MOR)? Or is this another male o-ring type fitting that is identified specifically as "insert"?

Like Huss, I will not be using all of the stock pressure switches and add-on valves in the system. My original plan was to completely eliminate the hardlines and build everything new using just barrier hose. But I am considering keeping the hardlines (only) and making new hoses to utilize them, without the extra stuff. Are the stock fittings metric or standard sizes?

Help me out. Isn't MIOR ("male insert o-ring") the same as male o-ring (MOR)? Or is this another male o-ring type fitting that is identified specifically as "insert"?

Like Huss, I will not be using all of the stock pressure switches and add-on valves in the system. My original plan was to completely eliminate the hardlines and build everything new using just barrier hose. But I am considering keeping the hardlines (only) and making new hoses to utilize them, without the extra stuff. Are the stock fittings metric or standard sizes?

Hey Jeff

MIOR is not the same as MOR -

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 5.16.29 PM.png

Line fittings are all "American" (can't remember what they we called them in England, Imperial, maybe :D )

I am certainly not an expert on these things, but.. the best that I can tell the difference between the male o-ring fitting and the male insert o-ring is that the “male” versus “female” part of the fitting name refers to the threads on the outside versus threads on the inside part of the fitting. The part carrying the actual o-ring can be on the female or male side. When it is on the female side, it is called male insert o-ring. Apparently when the female fitting is rigidly attached, like say on the condenser, it is generally just called the female side, although in the first image they call it a female insert o-ring. :eek:The images below are better at conveying that difference. Most of our fittings look like the first one below with the swivel on the male side. But due to the constraints of the hard line coming off the low pressure switch, the male side is rigidly attached to the hard line and thus the fitting becomes a MIOR. I am glad that I am not a plumber. Their world gets even crazier.

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 119
Ya, that particular terminology can get a bit confusing. And to make things worse, some sources utilize different nomenclature altogether.
I might be mistaken but I believe I've seen the swivel type and rigid type with either/both O-ring types. In other words, being rigid or swivel does not necessarily affect the O-ring location. That makes even more variables (if I'm right about it, been awhile since I looked at this stuff).
Another area of confusion with AC parts is the barrier hose sizes. Typically the fittings go by -AN sizes, with standard sizes of hose that match. However the actual size of the hose is not the same as the AN name indicates. For example a -8 AN is a 1/2" fitting, but the matching barrier hose isn't 1/2". Although the hose is often referred to as 1/2" hose. Then there is the thin wall barrier hose. It has different dimensions and uses different fittings. But the fittings are still referred to by the same -AN sizes.
Although the hose and fitting sizes tend to be somewhat standardized for their application (i.e. the sizes used for the high pressure side vs the low pressure side, etc), that isn't always the case.
You really have to watch carefully what you order when buying this stuff online. This is one reason I planned to scrap all of the old system and make new lines throughout. Still haven't decided if I want to reuse the hardline portion. I'll have to look into their fitting sizes more first.
You can buy new "bare" rigid line in basic lengths and weld on new fittings to suit your needs. But I'm not confident enough with my welding skills to do that.
Like Larry said, plumbers have it even worse.

And now that I have recalled the details from this mental exercise, I should correct my original correction and note that the labels on my original AC schematic are actually correct. That number 8 high pressure fitting is a male insert o-ring. It is the only one like it in the system, so it is easy to get it correct.

And now that I have recalled the details from this mental exercise, I should correct my original correction and note that the labels on my original AC schematic are actually correct. That number 8 high pressure fitting is a male insert o-ring. It is the only one like it in the system, so it is easy to get it correct.

You mean #10 MIOR, if we are talking about the one I clipped in the pic above , the one where the illustration shows a female nut inside the firewall on the line to the frost valve? :)

I finally got out in the garage after a long week, and checked. Yes, the line coming from the evaporator is terminated with a #10 MIOR fitting. Revised schematic attached. So both lines, the one from the condenser and the one from the evaporator are MIOR.
AC_schematic_parts_2.jpg

I finally got out in the garage after a long week, and checked. Yes, the line coming from the evaporator is terminated with a #10 MIOR fitting. Revised schematic attached. So both lines, the one from the condenser and the one from the evaporator are MIOR. View attachment 20436

Eventually I'll get around to doing this retrofit. What a fantastic, thorough guide!

I am working on this as a part of my project. I may have a source to remanufacture the original evaporator if yours leaks. They can do copper or aluminum. I chose to go with copper since these lasted so long, typically speaking. I'm sending mine out today and will let everyone know once I get it back.

I am working on this as a part of my project. I may have a source to remanufacture the original evaporator if yours leaks. They can do copper or aluminum. I chose to go with copper since these lasted so long, typically speaking. I'm sending mine out today and will let everyone know once I get it back.
Just to clarify, it sounds like they can make a new duplicate unit to replace the old one, and not a repair to the old unit? Thanks.

Just to clarify, it sounds like they can make a new duplicate unit to replace the old one, and not a repair to the old unit? Thanks.
Correct, and they can do the heater core as well. My heatercore I just had repaired, and went on a bound and determined mission to find someone to make them. I’m sending them both units for them to duplicate.

Correct, and they can do the heater core as well. My heatercore I just had repaired, and went on a bound and determined mission to find someone to make them. I’m sending them both units for them to duplicate.
Thanks for the info. As you say, AC style heater cores are not available new. And although I've not looked, I seriously doubt evap cores are either. So having them made seems to be the only way to get new replacements. Please let up know how it goes and what the cost ends up being for each one. :)

Thanks for the info. As you say, AC style heater cores are not available new. And although I've not looked, I seriously doubt evap cores are either. So having them made seems to be the only way to get new replacements. Please let up know how it goes and what the cost ends up being for each one. :)
The quotes they gave me for aluminum is $200 and for copper (which I chose) for $260 a piece for the core or evaporator. Once I get it back and check the quality and I’ll update here.

Since this A/C thread has been brought back. Has anyone had any experience with electric 12V A/C compressors? It gets hot here in Florida.

Back