X1/9 AC Restoration and Upgrade - What the wife wants, she gets

There was some talk about it on this thread, but mostly surrounding guys doing k-swaps. I would imagine that the power output on the stock x1/9 would be limited not sure on this though. https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/k20-swap-with-air-conditioning.35380/
Thanks. Looks like nobody has done one yet. I like that it would only put a drain on it if it is being used.
We did talk about it a few other times. The issue is that an electric system requires a lot of electricity which cars like the Prius and others have in some volume. They either run large alternators or notable battery with some impressive amperage.

They have improved since that last discussion so. Perhaps now is the time.

To me the main problem with an electric drive AC would be efficiency. When you convert mechanical energy into electrical you lose some of that energy. I would guess if you do this in the X you would lose around 20% in the conversion. Now when you think about the engines in these cars being underpowered additional energy loss would be extra painful.

Last edited:
The quotes they gave me for aluminum is $200 and for copper (which I chose) for $260 a piece for the core or evaporator. Once I get it back and check the quality and I’ll update here.
So I should find out Monday how good of a quality these are just received the tracking info on them and will update the thread with photos and pertinent information on them. Took them about a week to produce, but a week’s shipping time each way. Not a terrible wait and hopefully they’ll have them online where they can be produced for anyone else that may need them.

Since this A/C thread has been brought back. Has anyone had any experience with electric 12V A/C compressors? It gets hot here in Florida.
So just to throw another option into this discussion!
I looked into electric compressor and decided that the current demand utilising the 12v format was too great to be affective in a hot environment such as Australia.
I since switched my research to a
“Variable Displacement Control Compressor” which is used in modern cars.
Problem here is they are usually tied into a cars BUS and utilise PWM to control the displacement based on sensor around the car, again not really suitable for a vintage x1/9 but there is also Variable Displacement Control Compressors that use a mechanical pressure valve rather than electronics to control the displacement of the A/C compressor and these would be very suitable for the X1/9!
Anyone gone down this route or investigated?

So just to throw another option into this discussion!
I looked into electric compressor and decided that the current demand utilising the 12v format was too great to be affective in a hot environment such as Australia.
I since switched my research to a
“Variable Displacement Control Compressor” which is used in modern cars.
Problem here is they are usually tied into a cars BUS and utilise PWM to control the displacement based on sensor around the car, again not really suitable for a vintage x1/9 but there is also Variable Displacement Control Compressors that use a mechanical pressure valve rather than electronics to control the displacement of the A/C compressor and these would be very suitable for the X1/9!
Anyone gone down this route or investigated?
Several years ago my parents bought a later model American vehicle with one of those variable compressors. It was problematic from the beginning, and only got worse. When it came time to replace it (after only about 15,000 miles) the cost was ridiculously high. And doing a little research I found this was a extremely common issue. I also found it is common to modify them to lock out the "variable" feature due to it not cooling very well in hot climates. Apparently variable compressors are not very reliable nor effective. However that may not apply to all of them. And yes, it was tied into a "automatic climate control" system that was quite complex and also problematic (I never cared for that either).

So I should find out Monday how good of a quality these are just received the tracking info on them and will update the thread with photos and pertinent information on them. Took them about a week to produce, but a week’s shipping time each way. Not a terrible wait and hopefully they’ll have them online where they can be produced for anyone else that may need them.
I am really having a good time following this thread. Looking forward to the pictures of what you receive.

Frankly I think the electric compressor is another rabbit hole. What would really increase the output is a mega-condenser. Figure that out with the limited space in the front of the X 1/9 and you will be much farther along the track to getting high performance type results. But for me the ones I used work just fine, everybody happy, everybody go home with full belly.

Frankly I think the electric compressor is another rabbit hole. What would really increase the output is a mega-condenser. Figure that out with the limited space in the front of the X 1/9 and you will be much farther along the track to getting high performance type results. But for me the ones I used work just fine, everybody happy, everybody go home with full belly.
I'd have to go back and look up the details, but the aftermarket ("universal") condenser I bought for my AC install is significantly larger than the tiny stock one. In fact it is larger than the new aftermarket radiator, which is also much larger than the stock radiator. I think I posted a pic before, I'll see if I have one saved. But the new condenser completely fills the area where the radiator lives in every dimension. The increased radiator size also allows me to use larger electric fans than the stock ones. The fans are another factor in terms of AC efficiency.

But there is such a thing as too big of condenser for the given size of the evaporator. And the size of the evaporator is the limiting factor on the X, with the factory AC-heater box. The Sanden 508 compressor is over sized for such a small car. Combined with the increased condenser size and other upgrades throughout the AC system, even with the limited size of the evaporator it will have no problem keeping the tiny cabin space frosty cold.

These arrived today. I am beyond impressed with the quality. The only thing I question is the use of tubes on the heater core. I wonder how that would impact performance on the heat? I know it should definitely hold up to the pressures. The standoff locations on the evaporator will need some work, but I can work around that with minimal issues. I have to say they packaged these really great! They fit within the box, and I do love on the heater core how they made copper tubes instead of the plastic ones that were used in the original design.

Attachments

• IMG_8205 copy.png
    IMG_8205 copy.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_8204 copy.png
    IMG_8204 copy.png
    806.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8203.jpg
    IMG_8203.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_8206 copy.png
    IMG_8206 copy.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8207 copy.png
    IMG_8207 copy.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8208 copy.png
    IMG_8208 copy.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8209 copy.png
    IMG_8209 copy.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8211 copy.png
    IMG_8211 copy.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8213 copy.png
    IMG_8213 copy.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8214 copy.png
    IMG_8214 copy.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
A lot of older heater cores used tubes like that. It will work fine - especially with the X's tiny cabin space to heat. In fact it might be more durable than the stock style.

I also prefer the tube hose connections on the heater rather than the bolt on plastic ones. Definitely a huge improvement there.

This looks to be a great resource for the otherwise unavailable cores.

A lot of older heater cores used tubes like that. It will work fine - especially with the X's tiny cabin space to heat. In fact it might be more durable than the stock style.

I also prefer the tube hose connections on the heater rather than the bolt on plastic ones. Definitely a huge improvement there.

This looks to be a great resource for the otherwise unavailable cores.
I know I’ve seen a lot of old radiators that looked that way, and I definitely think it may be more durable. I’m glad I chose copper over aluminum. Here is the company information and they’re looking at adding them to their eBay store to make ordering easier.

Attachments

• IMG_8216.jpeg
    IMG_8216.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I know I’ve seen a lot of old radiators that looked that way, and I definitely think it may be more durable. I’m glad I chose copper over aluminum. Here is the company information and they’re looking at adding them to their eBay store to make ordering easier.
Thank you for sharing. Nice work finding them and getting those first parts.

Big thumbs up!

Yes, nice job finding that source. And thanks for posting. Fortunately for me all the AC evap core and lines as well as the heater are copper. I was in fact shocked when I first noticed that later models apparently used aluminum in those components. Copper is king for fluids in this case.

Yes, nice job finding that source. And thanks for posting. Fortunately for me all the AC evap core and lines as well as the heater are copper. I was in fact shocked when I first noticed that later models apparently used aluminum in those components. Copper is king for fluids in this case.
Mine were copper too. But the evap had a very tiny pin hole but didn’t want risk where it was at to have it silver soldered up. I had my hc repaired, but they said they could do it I thought that would be good for everyone else as well. I agree with the copper is king statement. If the original lasted 40 years I think it would be smart to go back that way.

I once tried repairing a tiny hole in a copper AC evap coil (non Fiat application). I researched it, got all the right products, and followed the recommended techniques. Before I could get enough heat for the solder to flow the copper pipe suddenly melted, creating a huge hole. :confused:

I once tried repairing a tiny hole in a copper AC evap coil (non Fiat application). I researched it, got all the right products, and followed the recommended techniques. Before I could get enough heat for the solder to flow the copper pipe suddenly melted, creating a huge hole. :confused:
It’s extremely hard especially in the joints. Some really really good hvac guys if they keep the heat low and feather it in can make it happen. My neanderthal hands is not good at that 😂. As hard as it was to track someone down to make it I found that to be easier. Not to mention that as soon as you fix one area the pressure causes another. The juice wasn’t worth the squeeze in my case the hole was right at the joint.

"The juice wasn’t worth the squeeze..." Another sage phrase there. I am going to put it in my back pocket! So defines much of what has taken place in my life.

Back