X1/9 and Delorean

addictedpunk

Daily Driver
Some dude at work has one and he ended up parking next to me. Got a good chance at admiring the similarities between these two cars. I see a lot of X1/9 influence in the Delorean.

IIRC, someone on here has a few pictures of the X1/9 mule car that Delorean used to make his vision a reality. Also, there was a picture of John Delorean sitting on his desk or something with a design picture of an X1/9 behind him. Anyway, enjoy.
IMG_0395.JPEG IMG_0396.JPEG IMG_0397.JPEG IMG_0399.JPEG IMG_0400.JPEG

Delorean's handle like your moms station wagon, but with less power. Unless your classic car goal in life is to impress parking valets avoid the things. (Ok, those doors are lovely!)

I actually purchased one at an auction for a ludicrously low price due to a hung up driver door and low battery. The car's body was nearly perfect. But that PRV engine and poor handling left me cold. After fixing it up I sold it about 6 months later.

Last edited:
I've also heard of comparisons between the Lancia Scorpion and Delorean. If you look at those two side by side there is a strong resemblance in design style as well. However the whole "wedge" look was very popular around the time many of these cars were created.

gettyimages-57173042.jpg

It's an English design based on the Lotus Esprit (Giugaro?). Most of the car is fiberglass. The stainless steel is cosmetics and the reason it weighs so much. John Z and Colin were buddies. Colin was being indicted when he conveniently died of a massive heart attack.

When I was a little kid in the early '70s there was a really cool car called the Bricklin. It had these crazy gullwing doors I'd never seen before. I thought Malcolm Bricklin was the coolest guy in the world. The truth was a little less flattering. Then in high school there was all this talk about a new gullwing car John DeLorean was going to build. I thought John DeLorean was the coolest guy in the world. The truth was a little less flattering. I was likewise enamored when I met Carlos Ghosn while working at Renault. That guy was the coolest executive in the world. Yet again...the truth has recently become a little less flattering. I'm almost afraid to say that I think Elon Musk is the coolest guy in the world...

At least Lido Iaccoca was the real deal.

Back