JNewm

True Classic
I just finished replacing my front pads and rotors (a first!), and although it was not hard, it did have a surprising number of twists and turns. As usual, everyone on here is operating at a level far beyond me--which may help explain why I couldn't find a dumbed-down, step-by-step explainer on here. On the off-chance that anyone else might find this helpful going forward, I figured I'd put together an "X1/9 Brake Jobs for Dummies"-level walk-through.

The Workshop Manual explains how to disassemble everything. So I won't walk through that. Just remove the wheel and spacer, pull the cotter pins out of the sliding lock wedges, tap the wedges out with a hammer and some kind of drift (I used the tip of a needlenose pliers held sideways against the wedge), work the caliper free and hang it from something, remove the caliper mounting bracket, then remove the rotor.

That was the easy part. But the YouTube videos I'd watched about brake jobs just didn't seem to apply, once I was staring at all the different parts. Turns out the X brakes have a few odd wrinkles to them.

Shopping List
Rotors
Brake pads (I used MWB's semi-metallic. Ceramic pads are available from big parts stores--apparently less dusty, but not as good at stopping.)
Replacement sliding lock wedges (optional, I used the later Bertone-style wedges, available from MWB)
Replacement anti-rattle springs (optional)
Replacement cotter pins for lock wedges (optional)
Replacement rubber nipples for bleed screws (optional)
Silicone lubricant (I used Sil-Glyde, available here)
Anti-seize
High-temp spray paint if painting calipers, dust shields, rotors, etc.

The Job Itself

As a starting point, I found this diagram helpful for explaining how floating, single-piston calipers work:

1612647371740.png

You can find conflicting advice about whether to lubricate using anti-seize or silicone paste/lube. Both a NAPA explainer and the consensus on an r/mechanics thread said do not use anti-seize on any moving parts. Anti-seize can be used on the hub-to-rotor surface, but that's about it. Use silicone lubricant for everything else.

So after everything is disassembled, I'd start by applying anti-seize to the hub.

Next, you can see why applying a layer of silicone to the backs of the pads is important by comparing the old to the new:
1612647881743.png

It's very important that the caliper itself be able to slide back and forth, so that both pads actually "pinch" the rotor (see diagram above). When I disassembled my brakes, the sliding lock wedges had oxidized to the calipers. I'm pretty sure the calipers weren't sliding. So while everything is disassembled, examine the part of the calipers where the wedges press into place and clean if necessary. (And if you're painting the calipers, don't paint the mating surface like I did. 😳 If you already did that, time to bust out the 400-grit and start sanding.) Apply a thin layer of silicone lubricant to both the caliper surface and the locking wedges.

As noted, I used the later-style sliding wedges. You can see the difference below. They're longer and supposedly better. I figured some engineer who's much smarter than I am made the design change for *some* reason, so why not go with the later ones. They also only require one cotter pin clip, which is nice.
1612648421102.png

Now you're ready to start reinstalling everything. First, reinstall the dust shield if you took that off to paint it. Don't forget to tighten the little screw all the way before mounting the rotor. I think it's okay to apply a light coat of spray paint to the hub.

1612648643602.png

Next install the rotor. You can paint the areas I painted here, since they don't rub on the pads.

1612648698495.png

Next install the caliper mounting bracket. I put some thread locker (blue Loctite) on the bolts. Remember that the bolts should be pushed through from the "back," i.e., the side of the bracket that you can't see normally, on the inboard wheel-well side.. Torque them to 35 ft./lbs.

1612648793609.png

Apply a thin layer of silicone lubricant on the mounting bracket mating surfaces on which the pads slide back and forth, being careful not to get any on the pad surfaces or on the rotor. If you haven't already, lubricate the backs of the pads and install.

1612649023901.png

Compress the brake piston with a C-clamp or compressor tool. Slide the calipers into place. You can see in this photo where I accidentally painted the caliper-to-sliding-wedge mating surface and had to sand it down.
1612649183938.png

Next install the sliding wedges. They are pretty damn snug in there, so I found it helpful to use a Quick-Grip clamp to squeeze the caliper against the bracket to make enough room to get the wedge started. Don't try to just force/pound them in. The caliper is aluminum, so it's super soft and can gouge easily. I used one of the old wedges as a drift to tap the new ones in. Once it's in, install the cotter pin clip.

(This also gives a better view of where you should apply lubricant to the caliper, but should not apply paint 🙃)

1612649491516.png

Done!
1612649643758.png

And there you have it! Even on a short test-drive in the garage, I found that stopping power was increased and pedal feel was much better. A lot of that was likely due to the calipers having formerly been stuck in place, but now being able to move freely.

And as a bonus: pretty calipers. The automotive equivalent of Louboutin's famous red-soled heels.
1612649714766.png

Attachments

• 1612647884790.png
    1612647884790.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 133
  • 1612649380080.png
    1612649380080.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 140
Nice job!

One little niggle. Painting the one part of the caliper bracket and the caliper the wedges slide against may cause you some pain in the future as the paint may stick to the wedge and cause the wedge to not slide properly. If there is sufficient caliper grease on both faces of the wedge it may not be an issue.

Personally I file and buff the two surfaces in question when I do my installs.

Great job and thank you for documenting this!

Thank you for the kind words! And that's a good niggle. I painted everything before it occurred to me. I tried my best to sand off all the paint using 400-grit on those areas. But as the pics show, there's still traces left behind... Hoping I removed enough + used enough grease that it won't be an issue.

Do those little white boxes under the thread's title mean this has already been added to the "best of" section? If not it should be. ;)

Not sure?? I didn't add it. Curious about those boxes now; are they auto-generated keywords? That's a cool feature, if so.

Do those little white boxes under the thread's title mean this has already been added to the "best of" section? If not it should be. ;)
Yes I added them when I read the post. Those are called tags, so if you go to the advanced search setting (its a box you check in the Search tool) and put in any of those tag terms you will get all the posts that have been tagged with that term.

Any person who creates a thread can add tags. I was given the ability to add tags to threads I find appropriate to Best of Xweb (BOX) which will then be searchable using the tags feature or in the BOX. If you see something that is BOX worthy and the author, myself or a moderator have not tagged it feel free to let me know.

I do try to follow links to old threads or look back at old threads just as a reading and learning activity to find BOXable threads.

Trying to make BOX do some of the things the WIKI does with less effort by the authors or the leaders. That we now have embedded images, threads have much more long term durable value than they did in the past.

The WIKI is really excellent for specific articles and well edited content (the timing belt setup is a wonderful example of this) or PDFs on a specific subject like the repair manual.

Tags are great for being able to easily classify and then find broader info on a subject, our threads are wide ranging so it is possible for a thread to have more than one BOX tag.

Yes I added them when I read the post. Those are called tags, so if you go to the advanced search setting (its a box you check in the Search tool) and put in any of those tag terms you will get all the posts that have been tagged with that term.

Any person who creates a thread can add tags. I was given the ability to add tags to threads I find appropriate to Best of Xweb (BOX) which will then be searchable using the tags feature or in the BOX. If you see something that is BOX worthy and the author, myself or a moderator have not tagged it feel free to let me know.

I do try to follow links to old threads or look back at old threads just as a reading and learning activity to find BOXable threads.

Trying to make BOX do some of the things the WIKI does with less effort by the authors or the leaders. That we now have embedded images, threads have much more long term durable value than they did in the past.

The WIKI is really excellent for specific articles and well edited content (the timing belt setup is a wonderful example of this) or PDFs on a specific subject like the repair manual.

Tags are great for being able to easily classify and then find broader info on a subject, our threads are wide ranging so it is possible for a thread to have more than one BOX tag.
Karl, thank you for doing that. :)

One little niggle. Painting the one part of the caliper bracket [may] cause the wedge to not slide properly.

I've been thinking about this a bit more. After foolishly painting everything, I sanded the caliper, as noted above. But did not sand down the mounting bracket, as highlighted below.

My thought was that the slider "locks" to the mounting bracket, then the caliper slides back and forth on the wedge. If that's all, then painting the bracket shouldn't matter. (I think.) Even if the paint gets tacky from heat and sticks the wedge in place, the caliper can still slide. I kinda inferred this from the bracket surface being somewhat bumpy/less finished, whereas the caliper surface was clearly supposed to be smooth and slide-able.

Is that right? Or is the wedge also supposed to be able to slide back and forth on the mounting bracket? In which case, I should probably pull the calipers off and sand these areas as well:

1612713299661.png

It should be able to slide on both. The bearing surfaces are that angled surface and the flat next to it the spring is ‘facing’.

It’s not the end of the world.

As you have discovered you can easily lift the one corner of the car and in 5 minutes have the caliper in your hand. So if you start to feel the one side or the other ‘grabbing’ pulling the steering wheel in that direction you can easily go in and tidy things up.

It may also take care of itself, the forces the caliper can generate are pretty impressive so it will likely resolve itself if there is a problem but the solution is pretty easy to do as well.

JNewm - I recently rebuilt my calipers as well. I painted the carrier and caliper but masked off the sliding surfaces. I use hi temp brake grease to lube those surfaces. Has worked for me on other cars. The X isn’t back together so can’t tell you how it’s working.
9C9AF475-2435-4729-BD7D-D0715507215D.jpeg

The calipers are pretty easy to rebuild. This was the first time I’ve done X brakes but they are like most others. Rebuilding mostly consists of replacing the rubber piston seal and the rubber boot at the end of the piston. If you haven’t taken the pistons out of a brake caliper before the secret is compressed air. Shoot a little compressed air into where the brake line connects to the caliper. Be careful and go slow as once pressure builds up the piston will pop out with quite a bit of force. You will need to put something in the caliper to cushion the piston so you don’t damage it. I like to use a bunch of shop rags or you could use a piece of wood. On the X this technique only works on the front calipers. The rears have a mechanism for the parking brake that prevents the piston from coming out. You have to screw it out. I used the shaft of a big screwdriver. There are two notches cut into the face of the piston that you use to screw the piston out. The rears are a bit more involved but if you pay attention to how they come apart you’ll be able to put it back together. These are all the pieces of the rears
EF6F7734-75C7-43EE-96B9-1DF5811375BF.jpeg

you can see the threaded shaft on the right. This screws into the back of piston. There are a few spring washers that get compressed when it’s together. This can be a bit of a challenge to get together. There might be someone here that has a good trick for holding that shaft in the compressed position while you assemble it. As far as rebuilding goes once the pistons are out you dig the old seal out of the cylinder and replace with a new one. Same goes for the fiat boot. On the rear caliper that threaded shaft has an O-ring that gets replaced. When you put the new rubber bits on you can lube them up with some fresh brake fluid. You can get replacement pistons but if your pistons are in decent shape (the sides are smooth and not corroded and pitted) you can reuse them. That’s just how I did it. I’m not a classically trained mechanic though. And sorry I’m not great at explaining the process. But it’s not too hard.

Most recent and current floating caliper systems float on pins, but older designs use a variety of methods. The wedge system on our exxies is not all that different from what Ford used on their '70s and '80s pickup trucks.

And sorry I’m not great at explaining the process.

This is great; thank you! I got the rear calipers off yesterday, and they are absolutely roasted. I'm guessing my dad and I did only the fronts when I bought this car back in high school. (Counting this time as my first brake job, b/c I did a lot of just standing around watching him do the work back then.) So the rears are probably either ~30 years old or (gulp) original to the car?! Yikes. At any rate, I just broke down and bought a new pair from Vick's for this time around. The walls around the pistons--like, the inside of the calipers--are so rusty/corroded that I'm not sure it's worth rebuilding them. But I'd also have to rent garage space to get access to an air compressor, which adds to the time & expense of rebuilding vs. replacing.

That said, I may give rebuilding a go when I pull the fronts after awhile to check how they're wearing on the (incorrectly) painted mounting brackets. Thanks again for this. The visual is especially helpful. I love the old technical drawings in the workshop manual, but they're not quite the same as a high-res color photo.

This is great; thank you! I got the rear calipers off yesterday, and they are absolutely roasted. I'm guessing my dad and I did only the fronts when I bought this car back in high school. (Counting this time as my first brake job, b/c I did a lot of just standing around watching him do the work back then.) So the rears are probably either ~30 years old or (gulp) original to the car?! Yikes. At any rate, I just broke down and bought a new pair from Vick's for this time around. The walls around the pistons--like, the inside of the calipers--are so rusty/corroded that I'm not sure it's worth rebuilding them. But I'd also have to rent garage space to get access to an air compressor, which adds to the time & expense of rebuilding vs. replacing.

That said, I may give rebuilding a go when I pull the fronts after awhile to check how they're wearing on the (incorrectly) painted mounting brackets. Thanks again for this. The visual is especially helpful. I love the old technical drawings in the workshop manual, but they're not quite the same as a high-res color photo.
Just an FYI...You absolutely do not need an air compressor for ANY aspect of a rear caliper rebuild https://xwebforums.com/wiki/images/2/23/Rear_Caliper_Rebuild_rev4.pdf

Just an FYI...You absolutely do not need an air compressor for ANY aspect of a rear caliper rebuild https://xwebforums.com/wiki/images/2/23/Rear_Caliper_Rebuild_rev4.pdf
Damn, I did not know this was in the Wiki. This is great. Thank you for sharing! Though I already ordered new calipers, this is going to be really helpful in understanding how to take apart/reassemble the e-brake + caliper. The workshop manual--though useful--is a bit sparse on those points.

JNewm - sounds like new rears are what you are doing. Probably not a bad choice. I wouldn’t rent garage space to get access to an air compressor for this job. Using an air compressor just makes getting the pistons out a bit easier on the fronts. It doesn’t take a lot of air. Even a bike tire air pump could probably work if you could create a good seal at the fluid inlet. Heck, a large syringe or turkey baster might work. Good luck!

Slider question:

I'm starting assembly of my refinished calipers and noticed that 4 of my sliders have curved mating surfaces:

SliderComparison.jpg

Anybody seen these before?
From what I gather the slider on the right is correct. The slider on the left is the same dimensionally but with that curved surface. Here's what it looks like assembled.

FrontCaliperTrialFit.jpg

MB describes the later longer sliders as better for their longer mating surface reducing uneven wear. So the small mating surface of these curved sliders while having less friction would cause uneven wear?

Roy
'78 Black

Back