X1/9 Diff whine problem?

GregS

ProjectX
I got to watch my Track X1/9 while someone else drove it recently, and I noticed a high pitched whine that I don't hear from in the car with a helmet on. It can be heard on the youtube video from the start/finish line onwards, changing from 4th to 5th (it's more noticeable in real life). Trans is a regular X1/9 5 speed with standard 5th and diff ratio (3rd and 4th are lower geared).
My question is, what is this likely to be caused by? How serious is it? (is it likely to go bang). I am hoping to keep using it as it is for a while longer yet.

For what it's worth, my car has a noticeable whine in 5th. The other gears are fine. The transmission has all new bearings and the gears looked good when I overhauled the transmission.

Brian

Thanks for the feedback guys, I haven't heard of that before. Although I'm not convinced it's only 5th gear making the noise, I think I can hear it in 4th, just before the change.

I got to watch my Track X1/9 while someone else drove it recently, and I noticed a high pitched whine that I don't hear from in the car with a helmet on. It can be heard on the youtube video from the start/finish line onwards, changing from 4th to 5th (it's more noticeable in real life). Trans is a regular X1/9 5 speed with standard 5th and diff ratio (3rd and 4th are lower geared).
My question is, what is this likely to be caused by? How serious is it? (is it likely to go bang). I am hoping to keep using it as it is for a while longer yet.

My guess is ring and pinion not meshing right.
If you use ring from one trans and pinion from another the wear points are different and can cause a whine.
Rebuilt a five speed installing new synchros but using original gears and it whined.
Reset the pre-load and back lash on ring fixed it.

I used the original ring gear and pinion from the 5 speed transmission so that shouldn't be a problem. But I did buy it already dismantled and have no idea of it's history or what it was like previously.
The diff bearing preload was set as per the manual, but I don't think that would affect the meshing of the ring gear and pinion anyway?
I used the main shaft and the lower gears from a different transmission, but 5th gears from the original box.

Back