1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X1/9 engine rebuild running

Discussion in 'Discussion Forum' started by RJH, May 11, 2018.

1. RJH

RJH True Classic

Thought interesting and wanted to share.

2. 7982X

7982X True Classic

Pretty cool. The excitement is building.....time to get it reinstalled & on the road!

3. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Nicely done. And I like the engine testing stand. :)

4. kmead

kmead True Classic

All the most important parts in one little place.

Very nice way to verify and trouble shoot when you can access everything directly.

5. lidox19

lidox19 Daily Driver

20180324_162833.jpg Nice build. Like the test stand. Great minds think alike!
    While my engine is out for rust repairs to the engine bay I thought I'd build a test stand for my next engine build using the current setup as a guide. It's not finished yet, I need to find a radiator and fuel tank. Hopefully as the dimensions are the same as the engine bay it will help with positioning aux components, AFM, intercooler, ecu etc.
    When I have finished with it as a test stand I plan to fit a steel top and us it as a mobile work bench.
    Andy

6. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

That is a massive stand! Perhaps just weld the whole affair into your engine bay for added chassis stiffness and rigidity? :p

7. lookforjoe

lookforjoe True Classic

Nice. I like the stripped down repurposed cluster too - why not, after all? :D

8. AKimball92

AKimball92 True Classic

I wish i could have/would have built an engine stand like that. My engine is fully rebuilt and midway through installation. I hope everything works out as well as yours did.

Could you provide your engine specs? Pistons, rods, cam, CR, carb, Cylinder head P/N and specs (I always have to ask that), etc.?

9. Rod Midkiff

Rod Midkiff True Classic

Hmm, I have never seen an X1/9 with a short extension shaft coming from the gearbox?

10. That's because its an Uno transmission.

11. lidox19

lidox19 Daily Driver

Rod, It's an X1/9 gearbox with an Uno turbo intermediate shaft. The reason for using it is to move the CV joint away from the exhaust down pipe.
    Andrew, Did you want my engine spec or RJHs ?

12. Rod Midkiff

Rod Midkiff True Classic

Hmm, where would I get that setup for the wife's car? Her header is right next to the boot.

13. dllubin

dllubin True Classic

They often add a shaft like that on FWD cars to equalize the halfshaft lengths to minimize torque steer.

Dr.Jeff likes this.
  14. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

For some reason that does not sound quite right if read out of context. :)

mkmini and Daniel Forest like this.
  15. olerascal

olerascal True Classic

Rod, I had same issue long ago. Made simple heat shield...worked fine for more than a decade.