X1/9 Heater Valve New

Rod Midkiff

True Classic
found this one e-bay

I have no connection to this, just sharing the link

found this one e-bay

I have no connection to this, just sharing the link

It should be noted that this will not fit a late model X1/9 with A/C. I don't know what earlier models with A/C used.

so I have been just using a small vicegrip around heater outlet hose in engine compartment to stop hot water from going to heater for over a decade since there is not replacement valve, my valve slight slows hot collent but not completely, I love the heat at night with the top off so I don't want to block it all together. I use a rag between the vicegrips to not damage the hose. QUESTION: Why won't any of the older style valves fit? is my old valve repairable if it's corroded inside? just doesn't seem to throw the way it used to. 1987 Bertone

so I have been just using a small vicegrip around heater outlet hose in engine compartment to stop hot water from going to heater for over a decade since there is not replacement valve, my valve slight slows hot collent but not completely, I love the heat at night with the top off so I don't want to block it all together. I use a rag between the vicegrips to not damage the hose. QUESTION: Why won't any of the older style valves fit? is my old valve repairable if it's corroded inside? just doesn't seem to throw the way it used to. 1987 Bertone
Is it an AC car?

MWB has the correct "new" heater valve for non-AC cars and this would need considerable modifications to work with a AC X1/9. I really don't see this as a viable option.

I had a unit "like" that in my car that I purchased from IAP - the control ratio was different, so that my '82 lever didn't travel fully in order to operate the valve. And it took a TON of effort to move the stupid valve, to the point where I broke one of the controls where the cable meets it. I found an OE Savara unit and it works perfectly!

yep, I got AC, old R gas
I just replaced mine and did a whole write up on it including recommendation for valve. It should make your life easier. PS I will say that I am presently restoring the car and have the seats and steering wheel out which may add a little more work for you.

I will look at my setup and review K's article, looks pretty detailed, I hope I don't have a valve setup like that, I thought I remember my valve being in passenger footwell, I hate working in footwells of any car, even my truck cause I get claustraphobic now!

I will look at my setup and review K's article, looks pretty detailed, I hope I don't have a valve setup like that, I thought I remember my valve being in passenger footwell, I hate working in footwells of any car, even my truck cause I get claustraphobic now!

All the boxes are the same as far as I'm aware, regardless of LH or RH drive, so there is no reason your valve would be anywhere other than on the back right side of the HVAC box.

You can always cut the return line to the engine & put a manual or electric heater valve in the circuit there - if your existing is stuck open & not leaking, that can be easier in some ways.

All the boxes are the same as far as I'm aware, regardless of LH or RH drive, so there is no reason your valve would be anywhere other than on the back right side of the HVAC box.

You can always cut the return line to the engine & put a manual or electric heater valve in the circuit there - if your existing is stuck open & not leaking, that can be easier in some ways.
yep, I was going to cut in a manual one, bought a plastic one at Home Depot over a decade ago but never want to splice in, I love that heat on a cool evening with the top off and want all the hot coolant. What can someone put in that is electric? a remote open/close valve?

There is apparently a different heater box for Heater only and AC/Heater units, the size of the box would have to be bigger to accomodate AC core, pipes, frost prevent valve and electrics so it's possible that the heater water valve is located in a different position, gonna check my 1987 this week/weekend and see how it compares to KBacocks Bertone and pictures, his control buttons are square and mine are round so I think he has a 1984 or 1985 model, there could be difference, I know door skins are different between 84 and 87, you wouldn't think so but they one has a straighter profile door skin in addition to the large black outter door moldings

I know door skins are different between 84 and 87, you wouldn't think so but they one has a straighter profile door skin in addition to the large black outter door moldings

I must disagree. The company that once made aftermarket door skins claimed the only difference in door skins is the holes for the plastic trim.
Complete doors, however, that's a different story.

There is apparently a different heater box for Heater only and AC/Heater units, the size of the box would have to be bigger to accomodate AC core, pipes, frost prevent valve and electrics so it's possible that the heater water valve is located in a different position, gonna check my 1987 this week/weekend and see how it compares to KBacocks Bertone and pictures, his control buttons are square and mine are round so I think he has a 1984 or 1985 model, there could be difference, I know door skins are different between 84 and 87, you wouldn't think so but they one has a straighter profile door skin in addition to the large black outter door moldings
I think what Hussein was referring to is that he doesn't think there's a difference in the HVAC box between right hand drive and left hand drive cars. There is of course a huge difference between non-A/C heater boxes and the HVAC box used on A/C equipped cars---a different fan (bladed heater-only vs squirrel-cage style on A/C), extra room needed for the A/C evaporator, and of course the A/C equipped heater control valve being on the left vs on the right with heater-only.

The A/C control panel got a face lift on the last cars (along with restyled instrument faces). The inner body shape of the push buttons is still square, but they were restyled to have a round-looking exterior. The previous buttons were more or less white while the last round ones got a black-out treatment with "AC Control" labeling.

Yes, the box is different form factor, but the valve is in the same place - the heater pipes are all the same, that dictates the location.

yep, I was going to cut in a manual one, bought a plastic one at Home Depot over a decade ago but never want to splice in, I love that heat on a cool evening with the top off and want all the hot coolant. What can someone put in that is electric? a remote open/close valve?

index.php

I must disagree. The company that once made aftermarket door skins claimed the only difference in door skins is the holes for the plastic trim.
Complete doors, however, that's a different story.
I did a paint job once in the 90's on my 1984 Bertone, installed a full door from an 87 and it did not conform the the body contour. I still have the door in primer and ended up installing to new doors on my 84 and had the whole car painted out, I thought it was bezare to, still got the door primed and ready for my 87 should I ever need it I still have my orginal 84 door cause I have yet to move the power windows into new doors, and the door I thought would fit but when bolted did not match body, will take pics side by side and see what it was I and my Fiat body shop saw back in the 90's

Last edited:
I did a paint job once in the 90's on my 1984 Bertone, installed a full door from an 87 and it did not conform the the body contour. I still have the door in primer and ended up installing to new doors on my 84 and had the whole car painted out, I thought it was bezare to, still got the door primed and ready for my 87 should I ever need it

I used doors from an early 80's X1/9 on my 87 Bertone - no issues with contour confirming to the fender & quarter panel. I had issues with the driver's door, but that was from damage, not the profile of the panel. Did you take any pics of the discrepancy? Curious to see what it was, for sure.

I'm running '85 doors on my '74 and have even put '87 doors on a '74. So I'm with Obert, the outer door skins are the same. There are definitely different interior skins due to the different window mechanisms and door latches, but the exterior are the same.

Back