X1/9 homologation papers

Alex19

Low Mileage
Hi,

I know this is a bit of a long shot but I am in the process of moving to Tenerife in Spain, from the UK and want to bring my beloved X1/9 with me.

Now as far as I know the X1/9 was not sold in Spain and to bring it here I need to have the manufacturers technical specifications, or I believe they are also called homologation papers.

Does anyone have a copy of these for an X1/9?

Cheers

Alex

Homologation is a process that race sanctioning bodies use to certify that a competition vehicle is truly based on a roadcar and is not an outright race car, so I don't think those are the papers you need.

The technical specs of the X1/9 should be available in any factory service manual, and lots of us have those. Perhaps you could be more specific on what Spain is requiring of you?

Pete

I am in communication with a local garage here in Tenerife so I will see what they say, but this is a quote from a site that deals with importing cars to Spain.

"Can I import a vehicle from the UK or any other country?
In most cases, yes. However recent tightening of the legislation means that only vehicles that can fulfil the following criteria can be imported 1/ The vehicle has European type approval (homologation) 2/ If no type approval, it may be possible to import as a unique vehicle (called SVA in the UK), though this is more expensive and a lengthier process than normal If resident, before buying a vehicle registered in any country other than Spain, we would strongly recommend that you seek advice to ensure that it can be imported before committing to the expense"

So when I say homologation, this is what I mean. I want to minimise the cost of import. Was the X1/9 ever sold in a Spanish speaking country, maybe Mexico?

I did a little Googling and found this article on the topic. All I can say is "Good luck!". It is obviously the Spanish governments way of increasing car sales locally. :) Nothing unusual about govts doing this type of thing, just unfortunate that they made it so costly and complicated to take your X with you.

I did see the word "homologation" in the article, but it was referring to importing non-EU vehicles. Regarding the tech specs, it says you need a Spanish translation of the technical specs. :rolleyes:

I found a couple Xs for sale in Spain, maybe that would be the easy way to drive an X in Spain?

Every year when there is a regular ITV (annual safety inspection) then you need to produce these documents so they can inspect the car and make sure it matches these documents.

They are very strict on this Spain. Even down to the size of the tyres fitted, they have to be a factory approved size.

This is the sort of thing that is supposed to be easy within the EU, but alas... Perhaps it would save some headache to do this before Brexit is final? In the US there are all sorts of requirements when importing cars, and there are companies set up to do it for you. It looks like www.car-registrations-spain.com specializes in importing UK cars to Spain. Maybe ask them for a quote? A fair number of Brits retire in southern Spain, so this must be a somewhat common occurance.

No we normally buy a LHD car over here, but after having owned my X for nearly 25 years if I can I want to bring her with me.

I agree with Bjorn, I'd seek the help of a service in Spain that specializes in importing vehicles. They are experienced with it and understand exactly how to proceed. In the long run it will likely save you money, time, and certainly headaches. I do not know about Spain in particular but this type of process typically is not straightforward or simple. Back in the 80's I was involved with importing "grey market" European cars to the US. It was a real pain dealing with the Government regulations. The rules were not clear, there was no uniform interpretation of them, and enforcement was random at best. Each time it all came down to the specific Government individual you happened to be dealing with and what they insisted on. But perhaps our Government is much worse than Spain's, I don't know.

if your still in need of the F.I.A. homologation papers for the X19, which model do you need?

I think perhaps the registration authorities might just want "specifications and data" supplement to confirm some facts about the car (weight / fiscal HP etc)

SteveC

Back