X1/9 paint options

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Some time ago I posted about a factory car color that I had been noticing on many modern small cars (Mazdas and such) that I thought would look good on the X1/9. It is a deep red metallic that really shines in the sunlight. Today I noticed another one. Naturally paint choice is very subjective, but I've never been a big fan of many bright ("dayglo") colors, like the orange or lime green seen on some "muscle cars"...especially on a car as small as the X. Kind of makes it look like a toy to me. But the car I saw had a rather bright color that might work on the X. I'd call it copper, no idea what the manufacturer calls it. It has a lot of metallic in it and a hint of orange. I saw it on a small crossover SUV, but I think this is the same color:
6a00d83451b3c669e2022ad36c8d73200c.jpg

As I said it looked more copper than orange to me when seen in person.

I don't know if you got the 1978 Series Speciale 1300 in North America, but they were the first X's that came to Australia, first time RH was available, they came in 3 metalic colours, orange being one of them, all with matching seat trim and ladder stripes on the sides. Here's a recent photo from our club in South Australia, only the orange one still has the original stripes. The blue one is mine. (This green one is actually a later model)
161658677_985962475273385_3585687746108175405_n.jpg

Attachments

• seats-403-403-1.jpg
    seats-403-403-1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 65
Some time ago I posted about a factory car color that I had been noticing on many modern small cars (Mazdas and such) that I thought would look good on the X1/9. It is a deep red metallic that really shines in the sunlight. Today I noticed another one. Naturally paint choice is very subjective, but I've never been a big fan of many bright ("dayglo") colors, like the orange or lime green seen on some "muscle cars"...especially on a car as small as the X. Kind of makes it look like a toy to me. But the car I saw had a rather bright color that might work on the X. I'd call it copper, no idea what the manufacturer calls it. It has a lot of metallic in it and a hint of orange. I saw it on a small crossover SUV, but I think this is the same color:
View attachment 46387
As I said it looked more copper than orange to me when seen in person.

That Nissan Titan color would be "Moab Sunset".

Many of these oranges have been around over the years. They were really popular in the early to mid-00s. Nissan 350Z, Miata, many, many others, some of which have been posted here.

To me there is a difference between various "oranges" and "coppers". Not sure how to describe it but the color I saw (original post) wasn't as "bright" as any orange hue. Definitely more of a copper with a bit of red to it. I guess maybe it also has to do with being a 'modern' color; more metallic, more depth, more shine, more dazzle in the sun. I remember back in the 80's BMW had a "Firemist" color on some models, like the 320I. It was considered a red but did not look red, more copper. I could not find a good example of it but this is close:
9e62449df2a5527906ad2ef9c7180771.jpg

If you have forza 4? I believe has the x1/9 and you can put it in any color you can imagine, fun using those games to see what a color would look like on a car, not extremely accurate but neat none the kess

Back in the late 80's, I had a Toyota AE-86 Corolla SR-5 in "Toyota Red". It was a redish copper color.

Looked really good all polished up.
Although that does have a red hue to it, it's interesting how much difference there is in describing car colors like we are discussing. Especially with some automobiles. Apparently anything from red to orange to bronze to gold to copper can all be given the same name by car companies.

For example I just noticed a model of Ford with a similar "copper" color. What's interesting is they call it "Canyon Ridge Metallic RED", but to me this is not red:

53578.jpg

Last edited:
Given the amount of black on the X, I think bright (DayGlo) colors look really good. Lime Sherbet Green, Metallic Orange, Yellow, Bright Metallic Blue, etc... Seems to balance out the black.

Back