X1/9 paint options

I when through a similar process when I restored my 1972 Triumph GT6. I had already decided that the original white was not what I was looking for. And since Triumph did not offer any color that really grabbed me in 1972.
I started looking at cars in dealers and on the road. I made a list of the year and model of the car.
Then went to my body shop and we looked at the paint color book for that manufacture, model and year.
I want a warm darker silver, between Gunmetal and regular silver.
We picked 5 colors from darkest, to the lightest silver, and did spray outs of all of the colors.
I picked a 2012 Porsche color, called platinum silver. And I do agree that some of the 1970’s colors, orange, green, yellow. Work nicely on our cars. My 1976 X1/9 is an orange red.

Attachments

• C2CDAF0C-AC93-456F-9F37-51A3D38963DE.jpeg
    C2CDAF0C-AC93-456F-9F37-51A3D38963DE.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 85
  • F6BAE321-2D18-4305-A0E2-93E9846640AF.jpeg
    F6BAE321-2D18-4305-A0E2-93E9846640AF.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Front-6.jpg
    Front-6.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 75
When my father and I acquired my car, it had long passed the point where originality meant anything, so there was no motivation to preserve the UPS-Truck Brown. The trick was deciding on a color we liked, that didn't conflict with the brown/parchment interior. Settled on 'Bronze Metalic' from an online, low-cost paint vendor. It was my first attempt at painting a car, and we learned a lot along the way. The quality of the paint was not the limiting factor. It's certainly not a perfect paint job, but it was quite satisfying and is in keeping with the quality of the rest of the 'restoration'. Having the stripes cut and applied at a local vendor (using Jim MacKenzie's patterns) cost nearly as much as the paint, but I think they add a lot.

Brian

honeysuckle X.jpg

When my father and I acquired my car, it had long passed the point where originality meant anything, so there was no motivation to preserve the UPS-Truck Brown. The trick was deciding on a color we liked, that didn't conflict with the brown/parchment interior. Settled on 'Bronze Metalic' from an online, low-cost paint vendor. It was my first attempt at painting a car, and we learned a lot along the way. The quality of the paint was not the limiting factor. It's certainly not a perfect paint job, but it was quite satisfying and is in keeping with the quality of the rest of the 'restoration'. Having the stripes cut and applied at a local vendor (using Jim MacKenzie's patterns) cost nearly as much as the paint, but I think they add a lot.

Brian

View attachment 49171
Very nice job Brian. That color is close to a factory color also. Definitely better than the "turd brown" from Fiat.

In another recent thread someone commented about the cost to have their X painted. The quotes he was getting were considerably more than the value of the car. One factor in that cost is the expense of the materials themselves; paint prices have skyrocketed. I referenced using lower cost options from online sellers. Your link is another excellent example of them.

I think doing it yourself is very rewarding. I've painted a few of my cars in the past and have three more lined up to do soon. I try to do as much of the restoration/modification/customization as possible on all of my builds...in every aspect. Challenging, and I may not be the best at some tasks, but to me it is satisfying to know I did it. Same for you.

Today while I was running errands I saw yet another "modern" car paint color that I thought might be good on a X1/9. Although I'm not a fan of really 'bright' colors on a classic car, I think this one might work....at least on someone else's X. :p

It was on a new Hyundai. I guess I'd call it metallic gold, but it has a lot of yellow, and even a hint of green. As usual the online pictures don't do it a lot of justice; in our intense desert sun the metallic really came alive, making it look brighter than in the pics. Here it is:

20Sonata-764A5142.jpg

hyundai-sonata_100694563_h.jpg

Back