X1/9 speedometer cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]X1/9 speedometer cable<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 29 1999 at 6:35 AM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "u"; document.write("Dr. Steven Doellefeld"); // --> </SCRIPT>Dr. Steven Doellefeld <NOSCRIPT> Dr. Steven Doellefeld </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hello everyone! I just discovered this group, and I am delighted at the wealth of information that I have found so far. I live in NY, and purchased my first X1/9 on Saturday... got it inspected and on the road yesterday... it is a delight to drive! It's an 83, with light rust in the usual places (as I have learned from readig the group).

Anyway, my questions are these:

1) I ordered a speedometer cable from IAP, and I was wondering if anyone has installed one themselves? It looks straightforward, but tight to install... any advice would be appreciated! Given that my other "play" car is a HUGE 1951 Plymouth, with tons of room to work, the close quarters of the X1/9 are rather foreign to me. Basically, is this a part I should take to my mechanic, or is it easy enough to tackle on my own?

2) There is a "clicking" noise coming from the area of the rear passengers tire. It sounds rather like a stone caught in the treads, but I checked carefully, and it isn't. Perhaps a bad wheel bearing? If so, is this an expensive fix?

Thanks in advance, and I am looking forward to being a part of this discussion group.

Steven<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "z";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Bob"); // --> </SCRIPT>Bob <NOSCRIPT> Bob </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->noises<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 30 1999, 12:59 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->the clicking noise could be a wheel bearing as you think or it could be the cv joint. to check the wheel bearing put your hands on the top of the wheel and pull/push it in and out. if it moves/makes noise it is probably the wheel bearing (use the left rear corner as a reference). if the wheel feels solid crawl under the car and look at the boot over the cv joint if it is cracked the the grease for the cv joint is probably gone and has caused ware on the piece... the part should cost about $95 to replace.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "4";n54_em = n54_em + "5";n54_em = n54_em + "7";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("John"); // --> </SCRIPT>John <NOSCRIPT> John </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->IAP speedo cable<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 2 1999, 10:14 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi Steven,

I installed an IAP one-piece speedo cable on my '87 X last year. As you noticed it is pretty tight
especially in the front trunk where it shares the passageway with the brake lines, but it is doable.

The first step is to remove the old 2-piece cable (I presume that's what's there) - unscrew the drivers' side black plastic grid between the windshield & front trunk, and you'll see where the 2 pieces connect. Pull the white plastic clip on the trunk side of the joint forward to disconnect the 2 sections. Then remove the rubber grommets between the cowl/dash area and the cowl/front trunk that the cable runs through. Next, remove the steering wheel and unscrew the dash instrument cluster (5 Allen screws) and pull it out far enough to disconnect the short cable section from the speedo gauge. To remove the long cable piece, first unscrew the connection at the rear of the transmission (most easily done by accessing and removing the rear trunk access panel - while you're in there, you might want to check for the common rust problems graphically detailed in earlier threads). Then put the car up on jackstands and unclip the cable from the various connectors etc. underneath the car, freeing it up and pulling it toward the front of the car. You'll see an oval-shaped grommet toward the front of the car where the cable goes up into the drivers side footwell - remove that as well. Once that is done, you should be able to pull the whole section out through the passageway in the front trunk.

To install the new cable, first lift up the carpeting in the drivers side footwell around the gas pedal to expose the hole the cable goes through. Then carefully feed the threaded-metal-cap end of the cable through the front trunk passageway into the footwell(I wrapped a little Duct tape around the cap & tip of the cable to try to prevent it from catching on anything), through the hole and toward the back of the car. Run the cable up over the transmission and screw the end on, but don't attach any clips yet - once it's screwed on feed all the available slack back to the front of the car so you'll have enough to work with to attach it to the instrument cluster. Then feed the other end through the cowl to the back of the gauge and clip it on. Screw the instrument cluster back in place, and then you can pull whatever slack is left through toward the back of the car, reattaching the various clips & grommets as you go. Reattach the trunk access panel & steering wheel, unjack the car
and you should be all set.

Well if my feeble memory serves, that's all there is to it - if you decide to try it & need more info, or if I forgot something, feel free to email -

Best of luck with the car,

John <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Another speedo cable tip<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 3 1999, 7:30 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I have replaced speedo cables before and have found that it can often be a tedious task to thread the new cable through its route. An easy way to do it is that BEFORE you remove the old one, you disconnect it at one end (front trunk or rear @ the tranny, whichever you prefer) and duct tape one end of the new cable to the end of the old, lining them up together so the ends mate up evenly. Wrap the tape around the ends and you've essentially turned your old cable into a towrope! Now just pull the old one out, and it threads the new one in at the same time. Once new is in you remove the tape and dispose of the old. Usually easier than doing the threading freehand. Other than this optional tidbit, John's advice is quite sound. It is also noteworthy to mention that not all X1/9s have a one piece cable. Some have a 2 piece cable which is connected thru a junction box in the front trunk. The only complexity of the 2 piece setup is knowing which piece has gone bad! -Mac.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "a"; document.write("jesse"); // --> </SCRIPT>jesse <NOSCRIPT> jesse </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->No need to remove steering wheel!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 28 1999, 5:54 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Have removed cluster many times. It will pull forward enough to do anything you have to! I have even removed and replaced the cluster without removal of the steering wheel.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back