X1/9 struts on Scorpion -- what's the consensus?

RJ80

True Classic
While I've got the brakes torn apart on my Scorpion, it seems like it could be a good time to change out the original struts. I keep hearing that X1/9 struts will work, but will lower the car about an inch due to the height of the mounting brackets on the strut tubes.

What's the real story? Seems if that was the case, everyone would be using X1/9 struts. Are there other modifications needed? Are there significant drawbacks?

I am unsure. I have used x1/9 struts on scorpions as direct replacements. I do have both. Original x1/9 and scorpion struts i will check monday. I am running x 1/9 coil overs so ride height is my issue to choose

I am unsure. I have used x1/9 struts on scorpions as direct replacements. I do have both. Original x1/9 and scorpion struts i will check monday. I am running x 1/9 coil overs so ride height is my issue to choose

Interesting! The primary reason I was asking is that there was a set of GAZ X1/9 coilovers on eBay, but they sold for more than I was willing to spend. Still, I may have interest in just replacing my current struts with GR2s or something if X1/9 units work.

IIRC, length maybe different between X and Scorpion. Can't tell more cause I never had a Scorpion (not that I don't wish...). Coil-overs will not give you answers but at least, if you don't care about playing with lowering, that may confirm they fit.

I might be ignorant/misinformed here, but I’ve read that the MC has a lower ride height than the Scorpion, would X struts give a ride height closer to MC spec?

Is it the strut, the mounting position on the strut, or the mounting position on the car that gives the MC a lower ride height? Maybe X struts would be too low for the MC, but not the Scorpion?

I might be ignorant/misinformed here, but I’ve read that the MC has a lower ride height than the Scorpion, would X struts give a ride height closer to MC spec?

Is it the strut, the mounting position on the strut, or the mounting position on the car that gives the MC a lower ride height? Maybe X struts would be too low for the MC, but not the Scorpion?

I think the springs are simply taller on Scorpions to give the car an extra inch or so of ride height. I know TMH sells Euro-spec Monte springs...

Thanks, I saw your coilovers but they look like they might be too aggressively valved for what will primarily be a road car.

Konis were rebuilt by TrueChoice.
No mention of re-valving on the receipt.
So I'd wager valving is standard OE Koni.

I've run a few sets of Konis over the decades
& various spring rates: stock,

moderate street springs (IAP reds),

stiffer street/track FAZA Stage II springs,

& finally the killer coilover spring rates.
No dampening issues with any of them.
In fact, Konis on soft setting & stock springs
are less harsh than KYBs/stock springs.

Have come to realize race springs have no value in X market,
so I'll lower price to free springs...just buy the Konis.
$500 cash & carry...a common price for used Konis,
that aren't rebuilt or coilover converted, as these are.

You're welcome to try 'em on for ride height adjustment range.

Konis were rebuilt by TrueChoice.
No mention of re-valving on the receipt.
So I'd wager valving is standard OE Koni.

I've run a few sets of Konis over the decades
& various spring rates: stock,

moderate street springs (IAP reds),

stiffer street/track FAZA Stage II springs,

& finally the killer coilover spring rates.
No dampening issues with any of them.
In fact, Konis on soft setting & stock springs
are less harsh than KYBs/stock springs.

Have come to realize race springs have no value in X market,
so I'll lower price to free springs...just buy the Konis.
$500 cash & carry...a common price for used Konis,
that aren't rebuilt or coilover converted, as these are.

You're welcome to try 'em on for ride height adjustment range.

Thanks, my Scorpion isn't operable for another month or two at least so I can't really get down your way to check fitment. Besides that, I just don't see how dampers that work well with race springs would work well with spring rates that are a quarter of those. $500 sounds like a great price for a track coilover set up, but this car will only see the track or auto-x maybe a few times per year.

Back