X1/9 style/design custom modifications

I'm trying to figure out how to route my exhaust so they exit underneath the doors.
of course if you see all the "cool kids" now are routing out the front right out of the turbo. maybe I should get a yugo exhaust and pipe it up to the front :)

Odie

The exhaust "trend" I love (sarcasm) is where they emulate the sound of a Subaru (offset pipe lengths on boxster engine causes that 'flatulent' sound) by making a header with intentional unequal length tubes for other vehicles. They actually add one or two big loops into some of the cylinder's tubes to throw off the pulses, just so it makes the odd sound like the Subi's do. It is a weird 'burble' like something is wrong with the engine, akin to the uneven idle of a Harley (Japanese bike makers put offset cams in their Harley clones for the same effect). Here is an example what it looks like:

Stock Subi exhaust...
subaruexhaustmanifold.jpg

Aftermarket Honda exhaust header with "UEL" tubes...
maxresdefault.jpg

Another example...
24704.jpg

But I guess I'm not in a position to make fun of them; I do lots of stupid mods to my cars just for the 'look'.

Last edited:
all the "cool kids" now are routing out the front right out of the turbo
Or through the hood:
hoodexit1b_zpsb44caadf.jpg

But if you are going to do that, then might as well poke the turbo through also...
22280655_692193800991025_116626444328212-1.jpg

And for greater effect, connect a flamethrower to it...
T9281.jpg
maxresdefault (1).jpg

Or add a "turbo sound" to your NA exhaust with one of these added to the tailpipe tip:

sku_218683_1.jpg

Don't have a NA car to add that to?
Well you're in luck.
You can add a turbo sound to your bicycle as well. Remember using clothes pins to put playing cards in the spokes? That has gone high tech:

61f+618mYpL._SL1001_.jpg

Now I remember why the BMW 2002 forum is so great. They have a sense of humor but keep it intelligent, nothing like fourth grade level of humor here.
But then I recall I'm the one who started the 4th grade humor on this thread.

One topic of style and design that we haven't discussed too much in this thread yet is "finishes" - both exterior and interior.

Regarding exterior finishes, in addition to colors and graphic designs we can also consider things like paint vs wraps. It has been mentioned but not a lot. Vehicle wraps have come a long way in recent years. At the annual SEMA shows I am amazed at the progression every year, with regard to not only the materials but the installation process. There have been wrapped vehicles on display that even upon close inspection it was very difficult to tell they had not been painted. And the array of effects, designs, and finishes available in wrap products is amazing; things that cannot be replicated with paints. Like everything in life there are trade offs with a wrap vs paint...and vice versa. But the newer wraps are much more durable, easier to care for, go on better (and can come off better if desired), and much more affordable than paint. They still require prep work, but not to the extent that paint does. And the process is much quicker.

For some reason a popular pattern with wraps (as well as for clothing and many other things) is "camo". Personally I don't get it, but it has been a trend for awhile. It has deviated from the classic military pattern of "cowhide" blobs and forrest plants to all sorts of geometric shapes, images and designs:
hexagon-gray-geometric-camo-background-.jpg skull-camo-seamless-pattern-green-image_csp54412271.jpg image-450w-153370925.jpg 800px_COLOURBOX25828255.jpg image-450w-742636393.jpg like-modern-digital-camouflage-patternabstract-art-background--7407.jpg

If you want the "camo" vehicle look, then I say do it right:
CEqinhJUgAA1o6D.jpg

With wraps some get pretty far off into rather bold patterns and colors:
California-T-by-Marco-Casentini_003_800.jpg ProWraps-Cool-Cars-1-_35.jpg wraps_funkeefish3.jpg Lamborghini-Gallardo-9.jpg download.jpg ferrari-rainbow-car-wrap.jpg 001_ares_panther_34.jpg 36.jpg

And others go a very different direction with graphics:
42.jpg 21.jpg 19.jpg 15.jpg 22.jpg 39.jpg Hemi-Car-Wrap.jpg

But obviously it is also available in all manor of more classic finishes; pearls, candies, flakes, flats, etc. As well as traditional patterns; stripes, two-tones, pins, graphics, etc. Too many great examples to post really, including terrific stock restorations with original colors that are no longer available in paints.

I suppose I should show a couple nice wraps to illustrate the good side of it (which was my real intent).

Rwraps-Silver-Vehicle-Wrap-Film.jpg lamborghini-blue-metallic-color-change-wrap-400x225.jpg 51XE+wYF5vL._SX466_.jpg Gloss_Metallic_car_wrapping_vinyl_chromatic_foiler__97049.1464356872.jpg 2018-10-21-at-4.54.59-PM.png mercedes-amg-electric-blue-wrap.jpg car-wrap-miami.jpg design-car-wrap.jpg

The thing is there are so many, and such a variety of choices, that it is difficult to give a good representation of what can be done. And they tend to look better in person than in pictures.
I suppose the thing to be said is vehicle wraps have become an affordable alternative to paint.

I know Randy, awesome guy. He has a beautiful all original 1972 Fiat 124 spider.

He and his dad are in my autocross club.

Back