X1/9 with real Dallara engine for sale.

Hey Dom... that's a kit like I've never seen...

... before...

My grandmother's name was Vincenza... and at 15,000 what? Maybe I should bid on it. HA!

That engine is like none other I've seen also!

Dallara engine.

Hi Tony,

that engine is a real Dallara (head). Typically people like to copy the body kits from this car, but in my opinion the engine was the master piece.

Gounon_2.jpg

I only posted as I've never seen a car with this engine for sale before. 15,000 Euros is a lot of money on the other hand...

Apparently this engine could get 210 hp at 8300 rpm.

Cheers,
Dom.

So...

What yur saying is this is a typical 1300/1500 SOHC block that has been modified to a through-pass type breather... still with a SOHC?

Head.

Looks like a cross flow Hemi head with Mechanical fuel injection and a flat slider plate for throttle bodies.

I have to see how big of a chunk of Aluminum I have kicking around in the shop.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

You know.....

That is just such a funky thing....makes perfect sense considering the times. This is as close a picture as I can find, of a blue Dallara...and it is consistent. Dallara did not take a stock X and rebuild it, he used only the passenger housing. The Dallara car was produced out of factory as a purpose built race car and was concurrent with the newly minted car. There were only around 30-40 actual Dallara's....yet people put a kit on a stock X and erroneously call it a Dallara....which it is not, it's a replica, actually just a "Dallara body kit"......but...everyone alludes to history in the most intimate way.

I guess this is just a slightly more polished...but it looks the same, with what look like velocity stacks but are actually mechanical injection ports....how cool is that? The original deal. It was worth right at 190HP.

dallara_heads.jpg

Just for grins by chance did you notice the rear structure is stock in the photo? Ummm... like this is a stock car. Kinda challenges your definition. Just an observation from a guy who has a replica. Also the rear of my car is more like your definiton of the Dallara with tube structure etc, except my car is a replica built by me. I think the only real Dallara is a real Dallara. Just for smiles not all Dallaras have flared bodies too.

More pictures.

Does anyone have more pictures of the engine head from different views and or specs. I know it has 16 valves.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

From what I see.

There are two shafts here. A camshaft and a displaced shaft driving the mechanical fuel injection pump. With the spark plug located where it is,I will guess that the exhaust valves straddle the spark plug. This would suggest a second shaft either gear driven, or rocker arms of significant length to open the exhaust valves. Rocker arms are doubtful. The massive size of the casting suggests that a second shaft is in the cam box driven by the other shaft by the timing belt.

Depending on the alloy of Aluminum wear in the head can be extensive. Higher amounts of silicon are required to remove the softness of the alloy.

A few years ago on ebay was the patterns for a Dallara head, however I think after purchased the patterns were for an 1100 engine. I am not sure if anything became of the tooling.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

There were only around 30-40 actual Dallara's....yet people put a kit on a stock X and erroneously call it a Dallara....which it is not, it's a replica, actually just a "Dallara body kit"......but...everyone alludes to history in the most intimate way.

Dallara claims to have built two. There were an additional 35 built under license. My source (my late wife, who he liked very much) was unable to find out just who built the approved 35. He was very hessitant to even tell this information to her.
When I had spoken personally with him years before when he was a guest judge at Pebble Beach he refused to even talk about the project. I don't think he was very proud of it.
Everthing else.... is a replica.
Especially mine!

Dallara engine...

I only said that the engine was a real Dallara (which is already very interesting). This engine was produced for cars other than the X1/9. In fact, on page 102 of Al Consentino's "Race World" book you see one installed in a Dallara "sidewinder" (1973).

Note that there were both 1300 and 1600 versions of this engine. There is a good write up in the March 2005 Auto Italia.

Cheers,
Dom.

Proud?

Hi Chris,

apparently (again, quoting Auto Italia) when Dallara was asked which of his cars was his favourite his response was the Miura, but the X1/9 came second.

Dom.

Back