XWeb - State of the Forums

Discussion in 'XWeb Site Announcements' started by MarkF, Feb 10, 2018.

1. geekdaddy

geekdaddy X1/9 Learner's Permit...

Contribution sent! Thanks for all you do. This forum is the best!
    download.gif

2. MarkF

MarkF Administrator Staff Member Moderator

A quick update as of December 31, 2018:

The operating fund contains $1,210 thanks to many generous donations this year. Thanks!
    In order to support the increased usage, I've stepped our hosting tier up. This should slightly improve performance, but also adds needed storage for the forum and backups, as well as enhanced technical support assistance.
    • VPS hosting, support $410
    • CPanel license $120
    • Xenforo forum software maintenance $40
    • Domain registration fees (.com/.net/.org) ~$50
    • XWeb 1.0 (archives - N54 now at Tapatalk) these are now free-tier hosting since Tapatalk took over Network54
    With an annual cost of about $600, we have funds to cover expenses for a couple years :)
    Our forum software will need to migrate to a new version sometime in 2019. This is important to maintain product support and compatibility. It will take some effort, but this shouldn't incur any financial outlay.
    Please let me know if you have questions. My goal is full transparency around the forum operational budget!

Here's a snapshot of the YTD forums stats. Note that the user session count shows logged-in users only. With our typical read-only guest usage, the count is about 3x what is shown.
    Also attached, a list of posting stats by user. Congrats to @Dr.Jeff

Screenshot from 2018-12-31 09-54-02.png

Attached Files:

3. Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Dan Sarandrea (Phila) Waitin' On Parts...

Dr. Jeff made the rest of us look like wallflowers! LOL :)

4. Hasbro

Hasbro True Classic

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  5. CandBMotorworks

CandBMotorworks C&BMotorworks

Mark:

I have been away for a while and just saw your 2018 update. I made a donation this morning.

I might need help with Tapatalk. My username isn't recognized. Is only xweb 1.0 there?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  6. kmead

kmead Over half way.

Please keep us aware of the fund level. We don’t want to run low (out).

Thank you for all you and others do.

Karl

7. MarkF

Update as of March 1, 2020:

The operating fund contains $1,711 as of this morning. Thank You to all!
    • VPS hosting, support ~$35 /6 months = $70/year. This has decreased substantially this year and is great value.
    • CPanel license - pricing has changed to $14.50/month = $174/year
    • Xenforo forum software maintenance $40/year
    • Domain registration fees (.com/.net/.org) ~$50/year
    • XWeb 1.0 (archives - N54 now at Tapatalk) these are now free-tier hosting since Tapatalk took over Network54

Our current hosting tier seems to be coping well with the load for the forum. The increased use of image storage, and organic forum growth does mean we'll need to add storage either onsite or archival in 2020, primarily to maintain backups.

Annual cost of about $350, we have ample funds to cover expenses for the foreseeable future. As always, my goal is full transparency around the forum operations budget.

I made some recent OS and back-end upgrades in December to freshen and optimize what we currently use. The Xenforo 1.5 forum platform reaches end of support in May 2020 - we've had a good run on this major version release for 3+ years, but a migration to version 2.x needs to occur in 2020. This is not a trivial operation since some aspects have significant changes and some customizations may work differently, so testing will be needed.

Here's a snapshot of the YTD forums stats. Note that the user session count shows logged-in users only. With our typical read-only guest usage, the count is about 3x what is shown.

Also attached, a list of top 100 posting stats by user. Congrats to @Dr.Jeff (again!)

Attached Files:

Dr.Jeff and JimD like this.
  8. MarkF

Hi Jeff - when we moved XWeb to this platform in 2016, the decision was made at that time to not include Tapatalk support.
    Reasons in this thread https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/tapatalk.31434/ but basically some serious security and stability issues, along with the new platform already being more mobile-friendly.

autox19 likes this.
  9. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Mark, thanks once again for all of your wonderful support and effort. We are immensely indebted to you for everything you do here. Although we may not say it enough, it stands to reason that this forum would not be the fantastic experience it is without all the hard work and time put in by you and the other members of the administration. I've said it before but it warrants repeating, this is by far the best forum in existence. Thank you.

10. kmead

kmead Over half way.

Indeed thank you for the hard work on all our behalf in making this a great place for us all.

In regards to Tapatalk, there are few programs I dislike more. It constantly asks to be used (and doesn’t take no for an answer) and is buggy. I have no trouble with the formatting on my iPhone or iPad which use mobile browsers (I know thats me).

If there is anything non technical users like me can do to assist with the testing I would be pleased to assist.

autox19 likes this.