XXX1/9 Build *Update 8/18/22 Tech Dive Video*

I'll try and get some videos next time. He does all of the work on his own so I'm not around when he is working on it.

He says he will get it running over the winter I'll get some vids of the startup and such. Probably won't have more pic/info for a while unfortunately. Slow working with one man crew.

this is a lot of fun to follow. By far the best statement was made on the dead pedal. The Addition of "Speed Holes". Love it!

The project started about 5 years ago, has been sidelined by various other projects that my father has been working on. I wish ,as I'm sure many of you do and my father, that progress will speed up! He claims to have it running by spring and will have more time this winter so hopefully I'll get some newer pics!

It has been in the condition of the original photos for a few years.

Thanks everyone for the compliments! Once it is finished it will be at one of the fiat freak outs with out a doubt.

I'm pretty confident it will not be completed by next years. Possibly the year after, anyone know where 2020's will be?

Also got some more pics I will upload them shortlyZ

More pictures I found!

Close up of the floor
IMG_0003.jpg

Custom gas tank
IMG_1095.jpg

One with the roof on.
IMG_1512.jpg

And here is one of the 74 1500
IMG_0019.jpg

Are the front wheels in the same location as stock? it sure looks like they are closer to the cab, however it could be a simple illusion as well. The floor is awesome, really nice work. In regards to the gas tank, there has been conversation about the location of it and it's proximity to the flywheel. Steve H. actually put a kevlar cover over his to protect it should the flywheel shred and become a mess of metal flying around. Any thoughts of doing something similar? 1000hp on Methanol is a lot of potential badness....

Again, this is really great to follow.

Yes, that floor is sexy.

Regarding the fuel tank. There appears to be a second aluminum skin over the rear portion of it. I'm guessing it allows a small air gap for a heat barrier. Although that would not offer protection from a disintegrated flywheel.
It might be better to add a "scatter shield" around the bell housing; that way everything is protected (eg. the driver) and not just the tank. A kevlar blend fabric cover would not be difficult to do.
In terms of the tank's location it would be interesting to hear if this was kept in the (semi) stock location intentionally? There has been a lot of talk about putting it in the front trunk area for weight distribution. But this build is so radical it's impossible to know what the distribution will be like.

Thank for sharing the additional pics.

Got some answers!

He says the fuel tank is there because it is on the center of gravity so it won't affect the handling characteristics.

And for the he flywheel, here is a direct quote.

"Racing flywheels don't blow up."

XD

It is on the center of gravity, however, that's not the ideal location. Moving weight forward helps with weight distribution and thus balance. That the fuel load varies can effect that dynamic, however, its of little consequence unless this is a serious racing car.

"racing flywheels don't blow up". Famous last words. Flywheels may not but clutches surely do. I never had a flywheel or clutch failure in my DSP X1/9 but using a significantly lightened OE flywheel made me nervous. Especially considering the abuse the clutch endured. If you have ever witnessed a flywheel/clutch explosion your perception of risk might change. I replaced the insulation blanket between the firewall and fuel tank with a ballistic mat used by bomb disposal crews to stop shrapnel. It wasn't heavy and the piece of mind was well worth it.

Oh, and I love the project. Very nice work. Well thought out and executed.

I'm sure if he were making it a competition racer the fuel tank would be in the front, I think he wanted to keep it in the stock location as well.

I hear you on the flywheel thing. He has built this motor to 1200+ hp for a fwd dragster so I'm sure he knows what he is dealing with in terms of durability/explodability of the components haha.

A few new pics!

Mock up for the intercoolers for the side intakes and a custom coolant reservoir.

Anyone know why these pics are showing up sideways? They aren't that way where they are hosted.

Custom Coolant reservoir
xn4.jpeg

xn3.jpeg

xn.jpeg

xn2.jpeg

Little update.

First my website that I have been posting pics on is out of commission temporarily and once I get it up and running the pics that have disappeared should be back.

Here I have a few new ones that I will temporarily host on imgur.

Not much has been done this winter as my father is doing a large overhaul of his instrument panel on his plane.

Here is the album of the new stuff mainly he front clip.
https://imgur.com/a/2cPZVst

The entire front clip will weigh less than 50 lbs.

This will be his front end with a slight modification. The base board that is holding everything will be carbon fiber.

The sides in front of the wheels will be extended another 2” on each side to cover the wheels. That front end is wider than the stock fiat as is and he will add 2” of width to it with foam and layers of fiberglass.

The entire front end is about 4.5” wider than a stock fiat and the rear is about 6” wider.

The wheel base is within an inch of stock. With only minor adjustments to allow more room for the engine.

All of the front end is custom high strength aluminum and will be riveted when finalized.

Tubes for cooling the brakes will be routed through the gaps on the sides of the radiator

Perhaps I've just forgotten, but I did not realize you have a seperate site about the car's build?

In those latest pictures, that lower nose section looks like the same one I bought for one of my X's. It was once referred to as the "Serpent Auto front dam". Although he is widening it for this project. I like that it retains the stock general design of the X but incorporates a large air dam with a spoiler that is similar to the stock one (but bigger). Bold and functional without being too overly obtrusive or hideous. I have some mods planned for mine as well, to make it a little more retro/period correct.

Looks like he built a custom radiator, nice. Very skilled craftsman.

Sorry the website I have is a personal one, not about the car but I just host pictures I use on it. The pictures will work once I fix the site.

Yes, it’s a pretty standard front end which is what he is going for so it doesn’t lose the X look completely. It is the front end they used on an x1/9 race car that his brother raced.

The front portion (and actually the entire car rather) will sit 2” lower than the stock X (lower total height) not including how low the car will be to the ground so it will be even lower than these cars are already.

It will also still retain the roof mounts to carry the roof under the front hood as well as the stock glove box.

He is hoping with his other work out of the way to get it started before winter, I think he only needs to mount the fuel pumps, and some wiring. Then he can get started on getting/finishing the bodywork and interior. Along with all the other odds and ends.

Quick update, my dad was kind of sidelined last winter as he was set to get his hip replaced and everything was pushed back due to covid so he didn’t get it replaced until this spring.

He just received the wiring harness to set everything up. After that is installed the engine can be put back in and test started as all the other plumbing is done.

That “should” be done by spring.

In the meantime I took some video of the build and will be starting a video series for the build on my YouTube channel. I will post the video here when it’s done. (I have the footage just need to edit and get information together for it)

Funny you should post today. For some reason I was just thinking about this project and wondered where it went. Glad to hear your dad is doing better. Keep us posted.

Back