XXX1/9 Build *Update 8/18/22 Tech Dive Video*

Yes indeed, Tom was the driver/mechanic, my father was the mechanic/pit crew haha.

I went with him to a few races, he is actually getting the car back int racing shape it had been stored for a long time and in California but is back in Michigan now. I think he plans to race it again now that he is retired and has more time.

Kurt,

I have met your father and his brother. I have gotten to know Tom since.

The photo is from a dinner we all had the weekend of the 2014 Pirelli World Challenge at Mid Ohio. I had a support contract with the series at the time and Tom was there supporting Realtime Racing and the Honda IndyCar program. The people in the photo are (L to R). One of the other Honda engineer's who's name escapes me. Your dad (obvious to you) then me, Tom, Matt Brannon, Brayden Connolly and Marnie Brannon.

0730142209.jpg

You may know this car. It made its PWC debut that same weekend at Mid Ohio. I have learned a lot from your uncle.

0801141037.jpg

That's Peter Cunningham, owner of Realtime Racing and the Honda engineer you see in both photos is another friend of mine named Steve Gough.

0801141047b.jpg

Subscribed!

Thank you for sharing your father's work here. Do you and your brother share his interest in cars and/or racing or fabrication? There is an awful lot of learning to be gleaned from your dad. From my own experience though, dad's aren't always the best teachers sometimes preferring to just knock the work out themselves alone without distraction.

Very nicely done :)
That composite floor makes this exxe that much more special.. and the suspension appears to be done from ground up..
will be very curious how this project turns out.

Bernice

I agree with Bernice on this. The suspension looks great, at least from what we can see. Double wishbone... Always wanted to try that, especially on the Rotary X I use to have. Very cool.

Keep it up!

The suspension is almost completely custom, it is modeled after the NASCAR race cars, he used to build the chassis for NASCAR so he’s made a couple hundred of them.

My brother works for Pratt and Miller and is one of the most knowledgeable people in terms of tires for NASCAR, he runs simulations both in real life and computer simulated for tire wear/grip.

I love cars but didn’t take my career down that road. He shares any and everything we would ever ask or want to know, don’t have much time as we all have little ones running around.

Also add the link to your prior thread showing a lot of the build details prior to this video.
Great stuff. I'd say the best X1/9 build to ever be done!

I love this build but at what point does it cease to be an X1/9!

Hah, so it is a silhouette car, I am good with that.

I think it passed beyond being an X a while ago but it definitely carries forward what an X is in terms of intent and flavor even if it veers greatly from exactly how an X was built once upon a time.

This is an X built as a full on race car to a high standard.

it Has a x1/9 vin so that’s all the Michigan DMV needs for it to be considered one haha

There isn’t much. Main cabin area, might end up getting an x1/9 dash. I believe he will keep the stock grill and hood (out of fiberglass or carbon I believe.)

Not sure what his plans are for the rear but I’m assuming it will have a fiberglass engine cover and rear boot lid that are all attached for easy access.

Once you guys weigh an X dash, there is no way you will keep it....maybe a fiberglass clone.

Have a good long look at how NASCAR and other similar "production based" race cars are made... other than the body shape and brand what remains of the oem production car?

Could these production based race cars be used as a daily public road driver?

Bernice

it Has a x1/9 vin so that’s all the Michigan DMV needs for it to be considered one haha

There isn’t much. Main cabin area, might end up getting an x1/9 dash. I believe he will keep the stock grill and hood (out of fiberglass or carbon I believe.)

Not sure what his plans are for the rear but I’m assuming it will have a fiberglass engine cover and rear boot lid that are all attached for easy access.
Gotta love our state when it comes to cars!!
Odie

I suppose you could ask that question for any X with a drivetrain swap, race track prep, customized body or interior, wide larger diameter wheels, etc. I imagine the purests that favor a stock original X would answer that differently than a X hacker like me. 🙃

Once you guys weigh an X dash, there is no way you will keep it....maybe a fiberglass clone.

This is all very interesting. On the rear suspension, it does look like you have built in some toe in gain for "roll understeer" effect. It also appears that you have no provision for adjusting toe in gain. Assuming that the builder knows vastly more about suspension design than I do, I am curious as to how one arrives at a good decision for building in tow gain.

Back