Yes we have no spiders

I have no idea why decent spiders sell for much more money now, maybe all the brit stuff and Alfas are too expensive. Spider auto rears are pretty rare because there weren't that many auto spiders made and lots of guys want them for their 5-speed spiders to lower the highway rpm. My buddy did this to his spider and fourth is now where fifth used to be....drove it halfway around the DC beltway before I realized I had one more gear!
My wife and I drove home from New York two weeks ago and I found it amusing that my Kia Optima turbo was turning 2200 rpm at 85mph

Years ago I went to Carlisle Import show and at 80 mph I was turning about 5,500 rpm and oddly the motor got smoother and smoother as the rpm went up....even if I did have to wear earplugs.

Ah.. I missed the "auto Spider 5 speed", I just read Spider 5 speed. So that complicates things. I am glad you followed up carl.

Years ago I went to Carlisle Import show and at 80 mph I was turning about 5,500 rpm and oddly the motor got smoother and smoother as the rpm went up....even if I did have to wear earplugs.

You just described the driving experience of every 600 & 850 I've owned (post-modification, of course). :D

You just described the driving experience of every 600 & 850 I've owned (post-modification, of course). :D

Yeah at 90 plus (indicated) coming down the 210 hill back to Pasadena, I always wondered what would happen if I had a catastrophic engine failure at that speed and RPM.

I have no idea why decent spiders sell for much more money now, maybe all the brit stuff and Alfas are too expensive. Spider auto rears are pretty rare because there weren't that many auto spiders made and lots of guys want them for their 5-speed spiders to lower the highway rpm. My buddy did this to his spider and fourth is now where fifth used to be....drove it halfway around the DC beltway before I realized I had one more gear!
My wife and I drove home from New York two weeks ago and I found it amusing that my Kia Optima turbo was turning 2200 rpm at 85mph

Looks like a salvage 81 spider with an automatic just popped up on CL here in stl. Is an 81 Spider engine to large for a sedans engine bay?

You should be good with a 2L, you might need to use the crossmember to lower the engine.

I should probably get the car just to harvest parts for possible future projects. I don't really have the space or the time right now. I will at least go look at it.

I think the crank nuts are different size, I seem to recall using a different size socket. I could check but of course my spider is no longer here so I can't

Thanks carl. The seller doesn't seem too interested in selling, so probably a moot point.

At an asking price of only $200 I fail to see why he wouldn't want to sell. Kind of like the craigslist spider seller I have been trying to contact with no response via text, phone call or even email.

I agree carl. Why put up a CL ad and then not be cooperative. The sleet keeps telling me he is a business and won't change his price. I never questioned the price. I asked if I could come look at it. Odd.

There's a 79 spider that's been listed here for 700 for months but with no phone # or email. Maybe his wife made him put the ad up?

Just an update. The seller finally gave me a location, but I cant get there this week. I will try to make it early next week. Now that I know where it is I can actually see the car from Google Earth satellite pictures. That means it has been there a while.

Back