Yokohama S Drive 185/55R14

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Here we go again....

As most of you know.....finding decent tires lately for our X1/9s has become difficult.

In 13"....current offerings in a 185/60R13 seems to be ( well aside from racing type tires ) limited to some Federal SS595 (look at first glance to be okay but real life feedback is mostly terrible ), some Achilles 122 ( decent quality but really more suitable to a Corolla ), and some other Chinese low end tires. Only decent option seems be a Yokohama A539, still available but only in England. Expensive to have shipped over here to North America with high shipping costs, duties, brokerage, etc.. And they are not DOT approved.

In 14".....not much better. Most suitable size is a 185/55R14. The more popular 185/60R14 is too large diameter. Not much around these days either. Again the Federal SS595 and some other low end Chinese tires. Yes, also a Vredstein, but just an all season tire more suited to a Camry.

By far the best option - well at least here in North America - has been the Yokohama S Drive 185/55R14. Was available in the USA but strangely never in Canada. This is Yokohama's "ultra performance summer tire". But still a "street tire" and not a road legal race tire. Just the ticket for most X1/9 owners who seek good performance. Great reviews from those that have tried them.

It was....well was....widely available a year or 2 ago from Tire Rack, Tires Easy, Ebay, etc. And about $90 per tire, very reasonably priced.

But....it seems a year or so ago....Yokohama USA discontinued this tire. In fact...it appears that Yokohama discontinued it world-wide. Tire Rack stopped offering them. From time to time some would appear - i'm guessing leftover stock - on Ebay and from various other sources. Back last fall you could still find some if you looked hard enough. But then those sources dried up and for the last few months ...nothing nowhere....

But then... a couple of weeks ago...a casual search of Tire Rack found this:

Holy crap !!!! Available on a special clearout.....at the time for $57 per tire. A couple of days later at $59 per tire. And now at $60 per tire.

As i possess a nice set of Maserati Biturbo 14" x 6" wheels.......I couldn't resist and ordered a set !!!

Some strange goings-on Tire Rack though......note the listing says the tires are in-stock...but shown as delivery in 4 to 10 weeks !!! And stock is only shown in their Wisconsin warehouse. But my tires were shipped to me all the way to Canada in only 3 days !! And note the price that seems to fluctuate almost daily.....

Even stranger was the shipping cost. Usually for stuff i get from the USA, I have it shipped to a drop facility in Niagara Falls, New York. That is only an hour away for me. Quite often ( and i think it is in this case ) that is free shipping. I've learned the hard way that shipping to me in Canada is VERY pricey with shipping cost and duties and brokerage fees, etc. But with of course the border being still closed that is not possible at this time. I feared that Tire Rack would run out of stock by the time the border opened again.

So what to do ?? Tire Rack would indeed ship directly to me in Canada. And prepay all the duties, HST, etc.. Punched in my postal code and ouch.....$85 US for shipping, $20 for brokerage, $16 duty, and HST. That was to my work address at a business address in Mississauga ( a suburb of Toronto ). Just for a joke I entered my home address postal code (still in Mississauga close to my work ). Expected the shipping to be somewhat higher as all the couriers charge more for a residential delivery. But....the shipping charge was now only $25 US for all 4 tires !!!!. Not bad as the drop facility in New York charges $11 per tire. And I would likely still have to the HST when crossing the border with them.

So yeah....I ordered them shipped directly to me. Even with the pandemic slowdowns, I had them at my front door in 3 days....Told you all this so if you are thinking of ordering tires from Tire Rack...try a few different postal codes to see the result !!!!

Some various thoughts. I am quite happy with tires after seeing them in person

I was concerned about the age of them. But all were date coded as being made in 15th week of 2018. so fairly fresh.

Very nice tread pattern. Looks quite sporty and suitable. Quite a deep tread with decent grooves for wet roads.

Nicely rounded at the tread edges. Should be good with an X1/9's not ideal camber change.

I mounted one up and it spins nicely on the balancer with no run-out. Required very little weight to balance.

Seems a bit wider than I expected. When mounted on a 6" wide wheel, the section width actually measured as a bit over 195mm !!! And a diameter of about 560mm ( 22.0" )

total weight of tire and wheel was only 28 lbs.

Tires made in Japan. That should be good from a quality and performance standpoint.

If you have been wavering on getting some new 14" tires.......perhaps now is the time !!! Now i certainly realize that even at only $60 each, that is well above the price point most of you folks are willing to pay for tires. But if you have thinking about getting some S Drives...something tells me this just might be your last chance.....

Some pics for your viewing pleasure. Even my cat approves of them........

Attachments

• IMG_4570.JPG
    IMG_4570.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 166
  • yokohama s drive 185 001.JPG
    yokohama s drive 185 001.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 191
  • yokohama s drive 185 002.JPG
    yokohama s drive 185 002.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 150
  • yokohama s drive 185 003.JPG
    yokohama s drive 185 003.JPG
    561.2 KB · Views: 252
  • yokohama s drive 185 004.JPG
    yokohama s drive 185 004.JPG
    477 KB · Views: 471
  • yokohama s drive 185 005.JPG
    yokohama s drive 185 005.JPG
    478.5 KB · Views: 765
  • yokohama s drive 185 006.JPG
    yokohama s drive 185 006.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 200
Hi Doug,
Nice you found this good alternative. I used the YokoS Drive on my Volvo C30 for years and was happy with them, only finding their life was a little short, but that's fine with me, I like my tires to be sticking.

In fact, I'm one one the few who can live with R-Compound tires daily on the street, so in 13" I'm still running Toyo Proxes R888. In fact, the last time I used regular street tires on a X19 was probably 25 years ago!

Thanks for your report on price and quality.

I saw that as well. Along with the price fluctuation.

I have a set of 14” 5 spoke rims from Revolution Wheels which could make good use of these tires. I live only about two hours from their main office.

Perhaps it is time to refinish the rims and get some good tires on them.

Last edited:
I saw that as well. Along with the price fluctuation.

I have a set of 14” 5 spoke rims from Revolution Wheels which could make good use of these tires. I live only about an two hours from their main office.

Perhaps it is time to refinish the rims and get some good tires onto them.

Well gosh Karl...you could have told us !!! And just how low did you see the Tire Rack price fluctuate ? Although on second thought...that might just bring me to tears.....

I always loved the Revolution wheels. Those and the S Drives would be a perfect combo. Yeah.....it's time......

Well, Karl "old enough to know better" will probably have to do a clean-up of his garage to dig for those wheels... Stay tune.

Well one wheel is in the garage so I can measure the bolt seats, the others are in the storage unit where I have a whole pile of crap.

7C6939C3-2B8D-4103-BC53-5128914A79B8.jpeg

Daniel is however all too close to correct. Whenever I need to get something I need to pull half the garage out to get to it. The overhead racks were a great idea to store all my parts above the 850 and the red X but I can’t get either one out without literally pulling out a section of items 4’ wide by 20‘ long. A number of those things were intended to be donated but the virus put a hold on that, soon though.

5000D7DD-0469-464D-9B84-98A9E9C0816F.jpeg

I will get them ordered before they disappear. The tires Jeff VanDyke gifted me when his X departed for the great junkyard are now well past their replacement date.

Thanks for the reminder!

BA6C549C-04EE-45F8-A215-3EAEB5598D1D.jpeg74AE3E5E-6EF9-4812-AF1C-FE1039B56CA6.jpeg

Last edited:
Well gosh Karl...you could have told us !!! And just how low did you see the Tire Rack price fluctuate ? Although on second thought...that might just bring me to tears.....

I always loved the Revolution wheels. Those and the S Drives would be a perfect combo. Yeah.....it's time......

You and I saw exactly the same thing. I had been out looking at my quite old tires and was thinking I wonder what tires are available this season so just did a search on the Yokohamas (I used to have a set of A509s which I loved) and there they were at 57 bucks, I then did a search a few days later and it was up to 60. Likely now you have hit the trip wire and they are up now...

I will report back.

60.35 per tire with free shipping. Or 40 bucks shipping assuming the difference between me pickup in South Bend is what I am paying in shipping...

Thank you for the reminder and now I need to get the proper centering rings and verify the bolts I have will work with the rims. They appear to be standard conical seats in the rims which is good.

Yeah, I've been looking at these but I can't quite pull the trigger because I can't stand the tread pattern for a vintage car such as the X1/9.
I have been tempted by the Yokohama Advan A052 which is also available at Tire Rack, but are $152 each. Sounds expensive, but then again $600 for a set of tires isn't that bad--especially since EACH tire for my wife's Audi SQ5 costs $350+.

Wow Karl, I'm getting toxic shock from seeing YOUR garage!:eek:;)
Oh I was going to say something about that haha... My wife would KICK MY ASS if I let our garage look like that. I would be in trouuuuuuuble.

Last edited:
Imagine being my neighbor :p

I suspected that would be the reaction ;) Daniel’s pic that he pegged Carl for was nearly exactly what my garage looks like if you go back and look at that thread.

The garage is mine. She gets the rest of the house. Modern cars can stay outside. It got this way last fall when we moved out of our old house completely and I had to find places for everything. The 12 x 25 storage space I am renting looks similar (I actually built a second story inside it for another level of stuff above my 124 Coupe).

Who needs 5 shop vacs, ranging in age from 2 years to 27 years old? There is a bunch of stuff that will be going to the local Restore for Habitat where it can be used, they have been closed since March so I haven’t been able to offload all that stuff. It isn’t quite as bad as it first appears, there is the tall layer at the door, then the two cars with a straight run of this and that along the side of the 850 Coupe. The rest of the garage is actually quite organized and if you look carefully you can see the racks above the cars with boxes of parts.

The plan, oh the plan, the plan was to redo the kitchen this year and should have been in full swing by now. The new garages were supposed to be next year starting in the spring. Notice garages. The one will be an addition to our existing garage to bring it up to the maximum 832 sf which will be the work shop space 16 x 24 with a lift, heat and power. The other garage (also 832sf) will be primarily storage of cars, parts and light repair work that doesn’t need to be rushed. The shop space will be across the back of the existing garage and entered from the end. After all that for the first time since 1999 our daily cars will have a space inside, out of the weather when all this transpires.

The new plan is to hopefully have the kitchen done by this coming fall. The garages will get slow walked forward given that and the loss of income this year.

Fun times.

Last edited:
Guys, that was only a riff on Carl's comment about my tent in the "show us your garage" thread; just passing it along, not at all serious.
Heck Karl, it doesn't even look carpeted- and I'm wondering where the other 3 wheels are.
:cool:

Guys, that was only a riff on Carl's comment about my tent in the "show us your garage" thread; just passing it along, not at all serious.
Heck Karl, it doesn't even look carpeted- and I'm wondering where the other 3 wheels are.
:cool:

No harm no foul. I thought it was very funny.

The new plan is to hopefully have the kitchen done by this coming fall. T

Are you involved in any way in building that kitchen? I hope you are not going to need any tool that could be buried in that garage. Or is it part of the plan to convince your wife you really need that big garage?🤑

Geez Carl...are there really 2 cars in that garage ? I cant even see them...

And hey....if you are looking to donate some stuff to clean it up....I'd be happy to take those Revolutions off your hands.

And BJ.....the tires actually look nicer - and more suitable - in real life than in the pics. Tread pattern does not look "too modern" to me. A bit wider than I expected, so clearance is gonna be a challenge....

And Daniel.....stop picking on poor Karl. We are only supposed to torment on the other Carl....

Note folks the Tire Rack price has now fluctuated to $59.81. Seems to be going up and down like the price of gas. Now 54 cents each cheaper than when i bought them. I'm in tears.....

Yeah, I'm probably being overly whiny. I'd be mounting them to a set of 14x6 Cromodora CD50s. Right now they have 195/60/14s on them (for Alfetta GTV)....a bit thick for the X.

Last edited:
I dunno....kinda reminds me a bit of a vintage Pirelli P Zero from the 80's. And certainly better than driving around with "Achilles" on your sidewall. And yeah....a 195/60-14 would be way too large for an X1/9. And yeah...I'm still working on your euro bumper brackets. Hang in there....
pzero-700-z-4505512805578.png

Oh I'd be all about that P700Z tread. Total Countach. :)

Hah! Actually Audi Quattro. Interesting.

Last edited:
Back