You know how one job leads to another.

docpan

True Classic
you know how you start to change the trans, then you say since I am there should change the clutch and might as well do the throw out bearing and pressure plate. Then should resurface the flywheel. Take the flywheel out and see an oil leak around the crank. Change the crank seal. And since we have access to the starter, change that as well. Then while I wait on parts, I should clean up all the transmission panels and repaint, and since I am repainting, and the rear brakes are apart, clean and paint the bracket. The list never seems to end.

Attachments

• 20200918_145459.jpg
    20200918_145459.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200918_145431.jpg
    20200918_145431.jpg
    904.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200918_133243.jpg
    20200918_133243.jpg
    828.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 16004560045308343312773602469940.jpg
    16004560045308343312773602469940.jpg
    781.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 16004560388495233119176197650506.jpg
    16004560388495233119176197650506.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 86
That's how my full blown restoration/modification/customization projects always start out. And end up taking years to complete.

I assume you used the vibratory cleaner machine for the brake brackets, etc - as shown in the "before" and "after" pics? What sort of solution did you use in it? I have one of those machines and tried it a couple of times, but it wasn't too successful. So I'm thinking the cleaning solution may make the difference. Also, how long did those parts have to run in it? I ended up leaving mine running overnight. Thanks for the info.

While you're that close (Ha!) you can check the end play on your crank, and see if you might need thrust washers, too...

That's how my full blown restoration/modification/customization projects always start out. And end up taking years to complete.

I assume you used the vibratory cleaner machine for the brake brackets, etc - as shown in the "before" and "after" pics? What sort of solution did you use in it? I have one of those machines and tried it a couple of times, but it wasn't too successful. So I'm thinking the cleaning solution may make the difference. Also, how long did those parts have to run in it? I ended up leaving mine running overnight. Thanks for the info.
I only ran them for 20-30 minutes mostly dawn detergent and vinegar. Steel brush after they come out.

While you're that close (Ha!) you can check the end play on your crank, and see if you might need thrust washers, too...
Oh man.... I didn't know that Satan himself, the Great Tempter, hung out on our forum. (I always assumed he was a Porsche guy).
:) :) :) :) :) :)

We all know this problem; "...while I have it apart, I might as well ___ and ___, and while its out I'll just clean this too.... and.... and....."

Several years ago I built a transmission for a customer who I later met at a race. I was working but he and his wife were there as spectators. I remember her telling me "I wish you hadn't made it so pretty. Now spends all of his time trying to make the rest of the car match".

Mission creep, it's a very dangerous thing. Turns adjusting your point gap into a restoration for Amelia Island.
Oddly enough, I am not tempted by this phenomenon and can stay focused on the job at hand. I think it normal that if you are changing the clutch you would pull the flywheel, have it surfaced if warranted and change the rear seal.
If you get a Steve H. trans, immediately spray it with WD40 so it will attract road grime and look like a normal box...or are you the type who paints your brake calipers red.

Recently I've come across a few articles discussing this same basic phenomena, but relative to vehicle restorations (opposed to only servicing as discussed here). Basically it's the notion of "I'll just have the car restored to a nice driver level", turns into "I spent $XXX for a concours show level restoration". All of the articles described three general situations; spend much more than the car will ever be worth to fully restore it, try to spend less and end up with a never finished project sitting in a corner, or pay more initially to buy one that's a decent driver and leave it as is (unrestored). They also describe a couple of exceptions to the first scenario; fully restoring a car with other value (beyond money) such as a family heirloom or historical significance, or having the disposable funds to enjoy the restoration process in itself regardless of the financial aspect. All of the articles were pretty much suggesting NOT to consider a classic car restoration. The funny thing is most of their sources for the articles were restoration shops.

Plenty of shops restoring and restomoding cars for owners with so much money, apparently, that common sense does not even figure in.
Most of us here have decent sense but no money (after all, we are playing with Fiats).
I figure the guys who spend 10 years restoring a car off the road that when it's done they are too scared to drive it or forgot how to drive stick shift.

Back