Yugo GV Fiat X19 1.5L Swap

Good job on sorting the wire harness. That can be a real mess.

Yes, the fuel hoses are just a simple barb push-on connection. The metal collars you see are the factory style of clamp. Technically they should be reusable but I find they are often in poor shape. Plus I find them difficult to reinstall properly. So I just cut them off and use the clamps Karl referred to; they are specifically designed for high pressure fuel injection systems. I find them to be much better than the collars, they look like this:
fi6.jpg

Sometimes referred to as "mini clamps", or "high pressure clamps", or "fuel injection clamps". Available inexpensively online or at most parts stores. The size will read in millimeters for the outside diameter of the fuel hose you get. And as suggested, be sure to get high pressure fuel injection hose for everything from the pump forward (up to the pump can be regular fuel hose). As for the hose size, as stated it is 7.5 not 8mm. You will find some hose makers offer a size that is marked as both 7.5mm and 5/16", or both 7.5 and 8mm; it is actually a nominal size in between the two and I have used it successfully with the clamps shown above (but it won't work well with the stock 'metal ring' clamps). But if you can find true 7.5mm it is best. The lengths of hoses you will need probably are not the same as any 'pre-made' kit due to your engine swap. I'd measure the lengths of each type needed and buy it in bulk (get extra). Also, as Karl said that pump will work fine....it is actually better than the stock replacement Fiat FI pump as far as the specs go.

A BMW/VW friend recommended that pump as cheap and reliable.

At the injectors and fuel rail, there are little metal collars on the hoses. Do I just pull the hoses off with pliers or what?

You need to carefully use an exact #11 blade knife to work your way down through the hose but not into the plastic barb connection of the injector.

You can did the hose out of the metal collar as the last bit of fun.

A #11 has a very fine point and is very sharp, I have the scars to prove it. It is the best tool for the job, you can get them from Hobby Lobby and other places. It is just short of a scalpel.

Personally I just cut the collars and pry them off, then I can use a single edge razor to carefully slice the hose as Karl describes. But the collars aren't super easy to cut, I use a powered cut-off wheel. So it may depend on what you have available to use.

If you can, it is worth checking/testing the injectors before reusing them. Old injectors tend to get fouled and don't spray well. But to check them you will need to set up a little test rig. The easiest and cheapest way is to get one of these on eBay (shop around, I've seen them for less then $10):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Car-Fu...er-Kit-Set-Vehicle-Cleaners-Tool/172823073408

That little gizmo is good for viewing the spray pattern, and it will do a little cleaning with the use of aerosol carb cleaner (plan on using at least one full can on each injector). But honestly it won't fix them if they are more than just a little dirty. If that's the case you can either get them serviced or buy new ones. Bad injectors not only cause poor running and poor fuel mileage, but can actually damage your engine.

To add a little insight to what I was saying about fuel injectors. Take a look at the comments in this post:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/original-1986-fuel-injectors.37248/
Especially the last few responses, talking about injectors working properly. While you already have them out to change the hoses is the best time to check them, or have them serviced or replaced. They are often overlooked but perhaps the most important aspect of the induction system. I realize they are not cheap, but I have found them at times on RockAuto for under $40 each (possibly listed for other vehicles...the same injectors were used on many cars).

Getting them cleaned and matched is not terribly expensive 18-25 bucks each. If the engine was running well before, having them cleaned will just ensure they are up to snuff for you.

Thanks Karl. I made a test/cleaning rig to service my own injectors. Between that and the ultrasound it does a good job. And if that doesn't work I usually buy new ones (if the price is right). So I've never used a outside service for them and had the impression it was much more expensive (maybe it used to be when there was only a couple of sources?). But at these prices it would be worth it to send them out.

Back