Yugo - No spark from coil, what am I missing?

OBS0LETE

Low Mileage
Hey all,

Have a 1987 Yugo that I'm trying to revive. I haven't played around with Fiats in years, so I'm a little hazy on what's what. Long story short, picked this car up for scrap value ($150) from an older lady that's owned it since 1989. Someone told her the timing belt had broken and it needed it's head pulled. Those are the pretenses I bought the car under. Turns out its timing belt is just fine, but we have a no spark scenario. First thing I thought was the ignition module had failed. Replaced the original bosch module, no luck. Got out the multimeter and had a poke around at the wiring at the coil, both wires on (+) had 12ish volts with key on, ground wire from ICM looks to be intact, all wiring looks good. Tested coil in my Saab 900, worked fine. Borrowed new plug wires for it from my MK2 GTI, still no luck. Decided hall effect sensor in the distributor was no good, nothing triggering the coil to fire. Replaced distributor with a known good one, hooked everything up, and.. nothing. At this point I'm kind of at a loss. Some mechanic has been playing around in there before, and I'm wondering if perhaps some wiring was put back incorrectly. It's been some time since I've played with Yugos and Fiats, so im not sure if I entirely remember which colour wire goes where. As it sits right now, this is the configuration.

Coil wiring, blue w/blk stripe and solid red wire on (+) side of coil. Solid green wire on (-) side of coil.

Coming from the ICM, beginning from left o right are 1, green, 2, brown. Both to hall effect plug on distributor, 3, red, 4 is a bare wire that runs in the same insulation as the hall effect connector wires, 5 is black, 6 is an aqua blue colour.

Does this sound right? And if that is wired properly, is it possible that that ignition switch could have shorted inside and is no longer powering the ignition? "Start" position had already failed, and P/O wired in a starter button. I don't think we tested for current on pin 4 for the ICM as it was nearly 105 degrees outside and under the hood of a Yugo wasn't really where I wanted to be after a couple hours. But I do believe we tested for continuity on all 6 wires and everything seemed to be intact. Only the bare wire didnt confirm continuity. As I said, kind of at a loss.. which is weird considering how humble and simple the car is to begin with. Any and all thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. I really miss driving Yugos and I'm pumped to get this one back on the road.

Thanks,
Joe G
Nü Umbrella Automotive Detailing

Coil wiring, blue w/blk stripe and solid red wire on (+) side of coil. Solid green wire on (-) side of coil.

Coming from the ICM, beginning from left o right are 1, green, 2, brown. Both to hall effect plug on distributor, 3, red, 4 is a bare wire that runs in the same insulation as the hall effect connector wires, 5 is black, 6 is an aqua blue colour.

Does this sound right?

While I can't help with your ignition switch wiring, I can at least confirm your coil/distributor wiring. ;)

The wiring from the ICM to the coil is usually bundled in a black vinyl insulation covering, this containing a red wire, a green wire (your "aqua blue" wire, I suspect) & a black wire - all 3 wires are same gauge/size. The red wire goes to coil (+), the green wire to coil (-) & the black wire to Ground (car body). From the ICM to the black plug on the distributor, there are 2 thinner-gauge wires bundled within a gray vinyl insulation covering; 1 green wire & 1 brown wire. No 6th wire that I know of...

yugoboschei.JPG

Thanks for the reply. Ok, so that rules out the wiring being incorrect. Am I looking at ignition switch being faulty at this point?

Is an 87 Yugo EFI or carb'd? I have no idea. Does it crank, just no fire?

Did you check the main ground strap to be sure it was connected or had a good solid connection? On an X1/9 it is between the transmission housing and the frame, not sure where it is on a Yugo.

I have not checked on the main ground strap yet.. so next time I get to go work on it that will be my first order of business..

I'm not familiar with Yugo ground straps either but later 128s had the battery ground cable branch off to the transmission bellhousing, attached with one of the starter bolts.

A silly question. Did you check for 12 volts at the coil when cranking? I know you checked it when the key was on, but just asking. Easier to use a test light to see sometimes.

Thanks for the replies. I dont.. remember if we tested for 12v at the coil while cranking. Next time I heat down to work on it, I'll find and investigate the main ground strap, I'll check for (+) 12v at the coil when cranking.. but I think the ultimate point of failure is internally in the ignition switch. So I think overriding the switch entirely is in order and hooking it all to a toggle switch like I had done with my X1/9 years ago.

Did we ever solve this problem? I got the same thing and I'm ready to send out the distrubutor for rebuild in texas

Back