Electronic Ignition Conversion Question

WildWilly

True Classic
From my builder....

I have a question about the distributor, and the conversion to the XR3000, maybe you can ask on the forum? Your car is using the Ducellier distributor, not clear on what I should do here.

When removing the points to do this conversion, are we disabling the vacuum advance as well?

Removing the points disables this? As it advances the points to create an advance at cruise or high vacuum.

Upgrading to the XR3000 does not allow for vacuum advance anymore?

Thanks for any and all advice, I know next to nothing about this stuff.

Update....

We called Crane Cams and they said it will not work. So progress will be slowed until we sort this out. What options do I have? A different ignition unit? A different dizzy?

Many thanks for the advice...

Interesting....

Called the vendor and they said it should work fine, so we're going to put it in and give it a go and ignore they vacuum line as per their advice. Here's to hoping ti all works. If anyone wants to chime and and it explain it all to me, that would be great.

It works fine

I use the XR3000 kit in a Ducillier distributor.

Remove all the vacuum bits and place a screw so that it locks the movable plate.

Also install a grub screw in the optical interrupter (you'll need to drill and tap the plastic) to ensure it does not move and is timed to the motion of the rotor button. i.e. the LED beam is just exposed as the rotor approaches the cap terminal. Then the rotor will be swinging past the terminal for all that lovely spark. Also less chance of jumping across to an adjacent terminal that way.

This system works best with the PS91 coil.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Rob

If you want a non vacuum advance (ie full mechanical) Marelli unit I have a few here that would be good cores...

SteveC

Dizzy

Steve,

Thanks for the offer. Butch is a little baffled by this one at the moment, we may just put the points and condenser back in to get her going and try and figure it out over the winter. I'm not sure I (or Butch) want to start hacking parts to make them work when the right stuff is out there. I'm not even convinced that the XR3000 is the right way to go, but we'll do some more digging. The guys at the vendor say it should work quite easily, but I' thinking they think I have a Bosch or Marelli dizzy. If you have further thoughts, feel free to share. Thanks again.....

I'm not sure where yur going or why, Willy...

But here is a summary...

If you want a street car, you want a vacuum advance for smooth transitions and better mileage.

If you want a Saturday night cruiser or racer, then you'll want to stick with a centrifugal or electronic advance for all the power you can get.

I am not familiar with this 3000 whatever... but I think my first choice would be a stock ICM and dizzy. But if I hadta stick with the point/condenser dizzy, I would find a way to upgrade to a PERTRONIX conversion and maybe a higher output coil.

Call those folks here: (909) 547-9058. Let us know what ya find...

Additionally, the amount of spark at the points is not an absolute indication of the output of the coil's secondary. I use the ICM as an example. If there were an arc of spark like that on an ICM it would blow out the internals.

hmmm

Tony,

My objective here is to replace the points/condenser by upgrading to an electronic ignition. After much research, it seemed the XR3000 from VAS was the way to go, supposed to be an easy install. However, it seems I have the weirdest dizzy with mechanical vacuum advance of the points inside the dizzy. My guy has never seen a dizzy with the mechanical bits like this inside. Having said that, he has little experience with Fiat or other European makes, as is the case with just about everyone around here. He has been doing Detroit stuff for years (30+) and has never seen a dizzy like mine. We called VAS and they say it should work, others on the forum have installed the XR3000 and say it works (maybe not with my dizzy) but either way, we're going to give it a go. If it doesn't work out, we'll go back to points/condenser to get her going and then over the winter revisit the situation. I'm really hoping this XR3000 works out, as sending it back is not likely an option. I was originally hoping for an MSD module, but they say they don't make a setup to upgrade our cars. Will keep everyone posted as to how this little saga plays out. We should know by the middle of next week if it works. As always, many thanks to all for the help/advice.

willy

I'm a bit ignorant of the Crane unit so I took a look at the manual, looks like someone bought the old Alison system rights.

It says the RPM limit is 6,500 Ouch!! what happens to the unit when you go over that engine speed?

The SOHC engine is on song and has more to give past 6,500 !

You have done such a magnificent job on your build, if the engine hits an 'electronic' wall at 6,500 it would be such a pity.

Quote"
Crane Cams XR3000 Points-to-Electronic Ignition
Specifications
Operating Voltage: 6 to 18 volts, reverse polarity protected, negative ground
Coil Current Limit: 4.5 amps internal short circuit protection (limit set at 7 amps)
RPM Range: 6,500 RPM
Primary Voltage Output: 400 volts (inductive discharge)
Primary Energy Output: 90 millijoules with PS91 coil
Peak Spark Gap Current: 100 milliamps with PS91 coil
Spark Duration: 2800 microseconds at 2,000 RPM
Unquote"

From what little I do know if you run systems like this at high RPM for long duration they can overheat and their life is short, what happens to the Crane XR3000 above that limit for a decent duration? Retard? Soft Limiter?

Crane kits can be tricky to install and I feel for you, sometimes it's a bigger job than many DIYers can cope with. There are plenty of pages of instrucitons to wade through, often its the wrong kit / configuartion causing grief. I read most just need adjustment to get the pickup module in just the right position after gutting the old points and sliding on the correct optical shutter disk. Setting the crank to Cyl #1 and index the rotor with the disk. Really its just install the right shutter disk and ensure the optical trigger mounting bracket is adjusted to ensure the rim on the shutter is clearing the slot in the optical trigger. IMHO if your guy has issues with that step find a Fiat mechanic or pick one of SteveC's cores. Any vintage MG garages up you way? Those guys always learnt to surmount challenges with small fours and anchient breaker systems. The wiring in of itself looks easy peasy.

Sorry Papa Tony but I have not had the best to report with the Pertronix gear. Modern electronic systems often have dwel/advance curves built into their 'brains' with programable ECUs you can build your own curves. Looking at the new Motec gear you can have multiple curves based on periferal imputs from all sorts of sensors - mind boggling but those boys are on the bleading edge of what is possible.

I have installed ( the inferior ) Pertronix points replacement kits before ( a decade ago +), the lack of electronics to protect the circuits is why they are prone to failure. Overcharging, high voltage death (misfire induced failure), simple overheating, undercharging, often living less years than the fingers on your hand. Choose the coil with care and ensure what electricery you feed a Pertronix is what is on the box. They were only a magnetically triggered system, which has a relatively slow reaction time, I believe it generated an "averaged" signal - especially at higher rpms. But they could tollerate twice what Crane has RPMs listed of their XR3000. The Pertronix's advance was fine, but as you decelerated, the timing does not fall as fast as the engine RPM, 2-4+ degrees of advance are "held" in the 'brain', so if you snap off the throttle and punch right back on it again, you were likely to get some pinging from being temporarily over-advanced. Then we had to dial timing back to compensate on a 4 cyl, so you lost power across the board. Burried my head in the books and went aftermarket SMC ECU's with a crank trigger - excellent stuff but $$$, luckily not my wallet.

Willy your Crane system is optical - so it triggers at the speed of light. They 'move' exactly like points - there is NO timing delay on acceleration or deceleration as the optical shutter disk shifts with the rotor shaft as the rubbing block on the points did unlike the Pertronix kits which add who knows what. You can adjust the pickup position on yours to account for phasing problems unlike the Petronix. That means the rotor will always be lined up with the distirbutor cap terminal when it fires, not before the rotor cap terminal or after it, promoting a misfire. Get the shutter disk position right before you lock it with a grub screw. The great bit about the optical trigger systems is you can CNC an aluminuim shutter disk to you own specifications, I have seen this done and it was neat, owner swore the plastic disk was distorting and spun one up, not so easy with the magnetically triggered systems.

Cranes large external aluminium amplifier box removes heat well - this is what kills a lot of points replacement kits, getting rid of the heat off the amp modules. ( I'm a fan of BIG heat sinks ) The finned case mounts wherever you want, so keep it away from the full heat and vibration of the engine. Vibration kills wiring looms so ensure you route it well, Matthew did an excellent write up in his M Squirt thread and the use of 3M friction tape is great to see. Following his wiring example is recomended, shielding that trigger signal. Placement in the spare wheel well will do as you have to reach the coil with a coil +ive & -ive leads. Resist the temptation to put it in the engine bay, it will last longer.

Let us know if you are still bouncing your skull off the nearest brick wall, persist with the optical trigger and leave the anchient breaker points where they belong, the Cretaceous Period of automotive history. ( ie the bin ) IMHO the advent of optical/hall triggers was the equivilanet of a Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event for breaker points.

Remember

Better spark / Better accuarcy = bigger bang

+ no maintanance

Sandy

Interesting....

Sandy, Many thanks, Butch and I will discuss this tomorrow. The 6500 rpm limit might be enough to try something else. I don't plan on killing the motor, but it sure would be nice to spin past 7,000 or even 8,000 once in a while. If the Crane craps out, its no good for me. I'm also looking at MSD now who sell a set up but you've got to have the right dizzy, so I might have to order everything again. Live and learn. Thanks again....

Crane system is optical triggered, just like Lumenition who invented the system AFAIK, the difference being the Lumenition triggers when the beam is 'broken', and to get around patents the crane / piranha systems trigger when the beam is 'made' ... I've run Lumenitions in lots of cars,they have a specific Kit for Marelli distributors (the chopper fits very snugly onto the dstributor cam lobes) and the light unit mounts exactly where the points did, no drilling holes and making a universal kit fit. The Lumenition also comes with an option of a rev limiter (8k from memory) and a performance brain and coil...

best part of any optical trigger ignition, they are not affected by electro magnetic pulses...as a bit of triva, the British army use Lumenition in all their petrol driven machinery (apparently for this reason)

Ducellier ignitions are a bit of a dog, and IMO a bit of an orphan... vacuum retard too? not advance from memory... lose it and find a Marelli with straight mechanical, just like the euro versions had, and they pull smoother and have more power than the USA specced engines...

SteveC

change in plans...

Thanks Steve. I think I will do as you suggest and try a different route. For now to get up and running we will use the points/condenser setup. I don't want to slow down progress, we can update the ignition over the winter.

The first thing is to send the Crane back and then figure out what to buy. Steve if would you be so kind as to tell me exactly which dizzy, coil and ignition module to get, that would be great. You know exactly what we're building here, so I don't want the ignition to be the weak spot. I guess I'll start by sourcing a Marelli dizzy. I don't want a patch job, it would be great to get a setup that is made to work without hacking it up. There has to be a combination that will work out of the box, just need to figure out what it it. You mentioned you have a few Marellis kicking around, would that be a good place to start? Many thanks...

WOW Sandy... I have never heard about these issues...

with the Pertronix "points". I know of many that run them but I have never done so myself... although I have been considering them in my old Olds V8 in my T-Bucket. The Olds probably has a redline of 5200 to 5500 so the issues you pointed out, save the internal failures, may not be of concern for me...

Anyway... WILLY, take some fotos of this MYSTERY DIZZY of yours so we can see what you are talking about. Make them closeups as well!

Pics

Tony, I'll some pics today or tomorrow, in the meantime, does anyone on here have pics of what I'd want the inside of my dizzy to look like? The Marelli or the Bosch? Would be great to talk to Butch about the options and figure out what to do.

This is what an Electronic Ignition Dizzy looks like...

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

Here it is in reality...

distributor008_zpsc4d140b6.jpg

I'm going to search for a "points" type... I THINK this is what one would look like...

And this is one with an upgraded magnetic switch system, much like a Pertronix unit.

Now lets see yours!

HA!

Last edited:
I guess as Steve C tells me...

...I'm a lover of orphans.

I really don't understand what the issues must be with installing the XR3000 kit. If I can figure it out..... :dunce:

Crane did buy out Allison ignitions as far as I know. I believe the stated 6,500rpm limit refers to V8 engines, therefore it would be 13,000 for our engines. I rev mine to up to 8,000 regularly and never experience any sort of ignition break down.

And as for the Ducellier distributor, once the vacuum bits are stripped out it is really just a shell to put the XR3000 into. Of course I have never worked with a Marelli or Bosch distributor that has been stripped, so I'm willing to be educated on why they are better shells. Especially as my new engine build progresses.

Cheers,

Rob

My Dizzy

Spent the morning with Butch and the car, going over lots of stuff. But here is the story on the dizzy. It looks like the XR3000 pick up can be installed in the dizzy once all the other stuff is removed. Butch was struggling with the concept of removing the vacuum advance (or retard) based on his experience. He is concerned that it will be hard to get the timing just right so it runs well at idle, cruising and flat out as that is the exact purpose of the vacuum advance. According to VAS, we remove the bits from the dizzy but leave the mechanical advance in the bottom and install the pick up in there and see what happens. So we will remove the points and the vacuum advance mechanicals, use the vacuum advance hole in the side to get the pick up wires out and see what happens. At least this method doesn't require drilling or tapping as was mentioned in another post. Crane says it will not work with this dizzy, VAS says it will. As others have made it work, and VAS says they have sold many of these to X guys for years, they are confident it will be fine.

As to the RPM issue, according to VAS, the 6500 limit is intended for V8 engines, so in theory it should be able to handle 13,000 in a 4-cyl. They say that the limit is actually lower but the coil will be the weakest link when trying to push crazy RPMs. Since my redline is 6,500 and I don't anticipate going over that very often, maybe to 7,500 to 8,000 just to see how she performs, we should be fine. According to VAS those numbers are very doable with the Crane system. Once things are up and running and a few test runs under our belts, I'll update to let you know how it turns out.

Hoping the motor goes in the car either Monday or Tuesday, so if all goes well this week with the rad, exhaust, carb, etc. we might actually fire the car by the end of the week. That will be awesome.

As alway, many thanks to everyone for their help and advice. This is a long and slow learning process for me and Butch, but at least we're having fun. Will take pictures again when the Crane pickup is installed in the dizzy.

Heat and Semiconductors

I believe the stated 6,500rpm limit refers to V8 engines, therefore it would be 13,000 for our engines. I rev mine to up to 8,000 regularly and never experience any sort of ignition break down.

Thanks Rob, that was what I was asking as I couldn't find reference for 4,6,8 . . . cylinder settings in the Crane unit but as you confirm you sail past 6,500 and get 8,000 on your unit without issue so that's now irrelevent. I can't comment on why the current dizzy would be an issue if the internals are stripped out other than Willy's wrench guy was struggling.

As to the RPM issue, according to VAS, the 6500 limit is intended for V8 engines, so in theory it should be able to handle 13,000 in a 4-cyl. They say that the limit is actually lower but the coil will be the weakest link when trying to push crazy RPMs.

Willy

I'm glad you didn't run the white flag up and persisted with the optical unit you have at hand now the 6,500 query has been answered. Rob has already noted the coil to use that works the wrong coil often cooks the electronics so consider wisely. If you come unstuck with that dizzy and go a different direction I hope this link below helps discipher what fits, whilst the engine is still out plan and add whatever grommets/holes and wire trees you are going to need whilst you have access to the engine bay, or is that motor back in already? IMHO keep the ignition trigger loom away from the existing wiring looms or at least shield the trigger wires.

LUMENITION OPTRONIC AND PERFORMANCE IGNITION FITTING KIT IDENTIFICATION

http://www.bccp.nl/techdocs/Fittingkits.pdf

Tony

You may need to get 'around' a little more widely Papa Tony. In all seriousnes we need to ensure apples are compared with apples. The Old Pertronix has spread from Ignitor, Ignitor II and now Ignitor III systems, makes it hard to give a blanket recommendation later ones got smarter with adaptive dwell but would I buy one - No. PerTronix did buy Spyke that do stuff for VW and Harley's perhaps the new gear has evolved, I'm not too confident about that as Spyke made Compufire ( still magnetic drop in modules AFAIK). If the acquisition didn't get them any good patents there is better stuff around ( the unit type Willy is fitting being one of them ), choose optical over a magnetic dizzy triggers if you can. If you are talking crank angle sensors (CAS) on a pulley or flywheel where the resolution is better knock yourself out with a magnetic CAS but if the drop in dizzy module relies on little magnets on a disk proceed with caution. I have seen a Kombi on three cylinders because one of the magnets went walkies. Steve mentioned Lumenition. They do both kinds (Country & Western ! ?) they have Magnetronic ignition as well. I was a less than enthusiastic fan of their Optronic system because the shutter I saw was like a plastic fan with big blades corresponding to the number of cyl. If we are going to use the infrared spectrum as a dizzy trigger on an engine capable of over 8,000 RPM I'd like a rigid disk with as small a trigger slot as I can have to initiate the timing event. For example they guarantee accuracy to be +/-1° crank at 3000 rpm, what happens at 9,000 is that a linear or exponential error rate? For sure hands down they are superior to points that float at high RPM and for NA that's probably fine but EFI and high boost I get uneasy.

With any of these points replacement systems one thing a lot of folks forget is they still have to worry about the rotor button, is it clean and in good order - buy a good quality one. Choose a cheap Chinese knock off and your asking for trouble. The other issue with all these pickup systems is they still use the original old dizzy which is probably shagged. A cheap poorly made rotor button with the usual modern "mix" seen in the injection molding which often contains more carbon blacking so is more conductive. Combine this with the rivet which holds the brass inlay strip into the molding which can be slightly longer than the original, it is now probably too close to the spring clip in the shaft hole. Whammo !! The improved high tension current, probably 30,000 volts, seeks out the easiest route to earth and shorts out from the tip of the overlength rivet, through the reduced thickness of more conductive plastic and the spring clip on the underside of the rotor arm, straight to earth down the distributor shaft.

Result - missfire with no spark at the plugs.

Folks wrongly blame the points replacement kit and scratch their heads as they trouble shoot in their garage as the problem often rectifies itself on cooling, but then re-occurs with increasing frequency until the rotor permanently short circuits. Never in their wildest dreams do they make the mental leap that it is not the '****ty electronic kit' but a crappy rotor button that is not part of the solid state nature of the kit. So buy a good rotor button at step one. Two if you gotta keep the dizzy is it floppy and need re-bushing?

This subject is a bit like Oil/Tyre threads on the Web, I have had ding dong arguments with 'old timers' some who were under 30yrs who tried whatever 'new system' it was and got all grumpy when they couldn't get it to work and said points were superior and less trouble ( faceplant ). I try and help but give up easily now and leave them to it. Turned out that one bozo left the ignition on for 30 minutes with the optical switch assembly disconnected whilst he was 'trouble shooting'= toasted it. I guess the reason I prefer systems like the Allsion/Crane is that they keep the pick up separate from the amplifier/electronics and the one Willy is struggling with looks like it has generous casing to hold the 'brains'. Heat is a solid state chip killer whilst I liked Bob's ICM conversion, as its pretty neat, I get shivvers about containing an ignition module in an enclosed space. If you ever get the chance where a ignition module is accessible in an engine bay, go for a high speed run pop the bonnet and feel how 'warm' those suckers can get. On a sports sedan I was asked to look at the "intermittent missfire". It was a heat issue and it wasn't intermittent after I asked some questions as it often happened when ambient temp was high and the driver was drafting. Once the tight engine bay warmed up the module had no way of getting rid of a ton of heat and was breaking down. You could have fried an egg on it, 10 mins with a Dewalt drill, hacksaw, a bit of 1/8 alloy sheet and some heat sink compound = problem solved. Lesson there was if you are going to use a heat sink use thermal compound on the backside of the module, heat transfer is dramatically improved. For me its free airflow, away from heat / moisture and bolted to a big FAT heatsink with heat conductive paste. I smother exposed spades in a product like Dow Corning 732 non drying silicone to keep the moisture away, even under the little booties these ignition modules have on their OEM plugs. Look it up it's 'the shizz'(as the young fella says - whatever that means), for stopping wiring from shorting. He likes driving thru rivers for some unknown reason, people invented bridges for that a long time ago, but whatever makes him happy.

Once upon a time we used big hot round metal cased transitors to switch current and that has moved on to MOSFET chips. Gate oxide layers (which are shrinking along with gate length) are now only several atoms thick, and leakage current management has become a large problem in electronics. IMHO gate oxides thinner than one atom are improbable but I am a nosey parker and this is one of the first things I look at, I have openned up casings if a vendor can't tell me whats in it. Depends on the type of FET or MOSFET but are they big enough, well heat sinked, a good brand with history or some hobbled together bit that was cheap.

I was having a VERY heated discussion with someone who should have known better about solid state memory modules and how heat you and I would find very uncomfortable walking around in was detrimental to their life. For example most folks think a SD memory cards lasts forever - nope. Defined read/write life is decades if treated well but life at over 60 deg Celsius its sh0ckingly poor. Papa Tony this is all a very abstract concept but heat is the enemy of reliable electronics, keeping those components out of harms way is a good step. Bernice mentioned some luminaries at Fairchild some time ago at the link you will find one of their white papers. Pour some sippin' mash and skim most of it but start to focus on where it starts at

5.6. Drain-Source Breakdown Voltage (BVDS Breakdown Voltage Temperature)

www.fairchildsemi.com/an/AN/AN-9010.pdf

Summary if you like (I know you like summaries)

when these chips get too hot avalanche breakdown appears = bad ju ju. The avalanche current from the drain-body diode activates the parasitic bipolar transistor. This causes the MOSFET to fail. Keep these cool and they last longer, ever been in a computer server farm? They have some pretty heavy duty air conditioning, an old school buddy who is in IT management has some pretty convincing arguments as to why we should move ALL the big server farms to the Arctic, the amount of energy that goes into cooling versus pushing electrons (data) is interesting. Will never happen but you don't need aircon where there's ice n snow on the ground.

Sorry waffling again. . . .

If anyone does run a Pertronix keep an eagle eye on the coil condition and the voltage specs of what its feed, it will last longer. The ones that I see dead are usually because they were just 'slapped' into the engine bay. No attention to battery condition or how to offer the solid state components any respect.
The old original Pertronix kits were okay in their day and I did have some success with a VW beetle engine as a kid. Of the old Pertronix I was told of low volts on extended cranking often being the suspect by an automotive electrician whom has done some pretty fancy work. If the packaging says it won't like a range of say 9 to 15 volts choose something else, for example modern programmable gear will have tables to allow you to compensate for low volts on cranking to 'see' the crank sensor. I'd avoid anything that can generate EMF where other options exist, or shield the bejesus out of it. That VW motor and the one you describe Tony are both low RPM engines, the Alison/Crane would probably be a good choice but the Lampredi SOHC spins past 6,500 RPM where all the fun starts - that's what peaked my interest in Willy's situation. Thanks to Rob we know that it indeed goes to 8,000 in real life, he seems happy with it so that is good enough a recommendation for me to go the Crane over a Pertronix.

So Sorry if I caused unnecessary anxiety

Sandy

Willy

WRT
At least this method doesn't require drilling or tapping as was mentioned in another post.

Did you mean the shutter disk? If it slides over the existing lobes on the dizzy shaft securely then that's all fine, but you have to lock it onto the shaft - I'm pretty sure that's what Rob intended. There is a lot of force going on inside the distributor when running, make sure that disk is locked on the shaft.

Sandy

Back