Headlight replacement

Gruffalo

True Classic
Hi, this question applies to euro lhd X1/9s only.

Can I replace the headlights with a generic type of lamp, or are they unique to the x?

Any cross reference I can use to source inserts that will fit?

M

Standard round headlights, same as fitted to all sorts of cars of the era.

If you replace with newer brighter lamps that draw more current, you'll have to install relays.

As my astute colleague notes, they are 7" round lamps...

found almost everywhere...

THE PROBLEM IS... the wiring and all on these cars only gets about 10.v volts to the lamps... so no matter WHAT you install, they will not be as bright as they can be... and some LED types won't even work!

The Headlight Relay Mod (HRM) is a MUST, even with stock headlights, which, BTW, work just fine once the mod is installed. Do a search or I will supply more detail if needed.

HTH

LEDs

Interesting conversation this is..... With the engine rebuild we went up to a 65AMP alternator which will help for sure, and I'll likely do the relay mod as well. What I'm wondering is... Has anyone actually installed LEDs? What brand, where to get them? How have they worked out? I've just upgraded my motorcycle to LEDs and they are so much brighter and draw far less current. Wanting the same for the X, mainly so others can see me as I likely won't drive at night much.

Hey Willy,

Tony is right. The relay mod is a must. I did a slick integration on mine, no cutting and all works perfectly. I even have it on my fan, which really helps.

I'm not a fan of LED's for headlights. I have Hella H4 e-code lamps that are very bright, with excellent optics/beam control.

Hella

Thanks Myron, I'll write that down for when I'm looking. Out of curiosity, why don't you like LEDs??

Willy... a couple of things... I believe Bob Brown...

PIONEERED the use of LED Headlights on his Queen many moons ago. At the time, I believe the PAIR ran close to $575.00 and he had also installed his "insert-able" no-cut, HRM beforehand by years.

Here is an example:

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/47876/?gclid=CI_hqcmqosgCFcOBfgodj28CFQ

They were BRIGHT to say the least... and and others that have installed the H4 Halogen lamps were happy as well for about $80 bucks.

Here is a good example:

http://www.carid.com/autoloc/7-halo...lenb1ab.html?gclid=CKrykqaqosgCFUdqfgodGckM3w

IN ANY CASE... the HRM is NECESSARY to supply a clean 12+ volts to the lamps. As I said earlier... measure your voltage NOW and you will have between 10.5 and 11 volts! No good!

And... a 65 amp Alternator means it has the capability to deliver MORE amperage if the DEMAND requires it, let us say, over a 50 amp Alternator. But it has NOTHING to do with the VOLTAGE available AT the lamp connector. This where the relay comes in triggered by the original voltage and switching a clean source for power directly from the battery to the lamps.

Hopefully I have explained this well... Common back if there are any further questions.

Oh... and B Brown build some beautiful, EXCEPTIONALLY HIGH QUALITY plug-in HRMS but I have no idea if he has any left.

IMHO... the ones sold on Ebay are quite sufficient and are LESS expensive than you can build them yourself. Some mods would need to be done, but the parts, being the terminals, fuses, relays and connectors... and most of the wiring is good to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-...DLAMP-LIGHT-BULB-SOCKET-PLUGS-7-/330997592807

IMHO... and frugal-ness... I would FIRST insert the HRM with the standard incandescent lamps. Do ONE lamp and leave one stock... and COMPARE them against a wall or garage door. If they are NOT bright enough, step up to the Halogens... and if those aren't bright enough... save your pennies to purchase the LEDs.

Have fun!

Lights

Thanks Tony, this is great info. I guess I'll try the H4 route first and see how it goes. Definitely doing the headlight relay over the winter. Cheers.

All good Willy, BTW... the foto on my...

signature line was taken just this last August at dusk.

The headlights are really that bright and these are the LOW beams.

My only option is a home-built HRM relay addition I installed probably 15 years ago... the lamps are stock incandescents.

Back