front license plate bracket

bpimm

Brian Pimm
Here is a bracket I threw together that's easy to build, you're welcome to copy it.
It's a piece of 1" bar stock .120" thick with a bracket of the same material. and 2 nuts welded in from the back.
20160511_075210.jpg

The mounting bracket welds to the back and comes up over the top sticking out the front.
20160511_075226.jpg

It mounts in the clamp bolt in the bumper mount I just spread it apart a bit and slid the bracket in.
20160511_075616.jpg

The bracket is bent to follow the contour of the car and the license plate is as well, I notched the top of the plate a little to clear the bumper mount.
20160511_081520.jpg

License%20plate%202.jpg

Front Plate

Funny my '74 X doesn't seem to have a place for mounting a front plate which is fine by me since in CA I haven't been bothered by the popo for no front plate in more than 20 years.

They used to pull me over for some infraction and then just give me a fix it ticket for no front plate instead but like I said that ended over 2 decades ago.

Front plates are silly anyway, one gets pulled over from behind. And photo ticket intersections shouldn't even be allowed. They were all removed from my city because after a couple of years of having them and paying the Dutch company that owned them a huge royalty on ever ticket they realized they were loosing money!

I would think no front bumper would receive a ticket before no front plate :brow:

you would think so but my local gestapo seems to like to harass people for no front plates, probably because Washington loves it's revenue stream. I've been stopped 3 times in the last few years for no front plate, they just tell me to get it on. I think it's an excuse to stop me and see what else they can find... As to the bumper modern cars don't have visible bumpers and the young cops we have around here wouldn't know what these cars are supposed to look like anyway. I have 2 other cars that don't have front plates but the noses are all rubber with nothing to mount one to, the original mounts have fallen off so that's my excuse, it's worked so far.

No front license plate would get me a ticket for sure. The local PD is always on the lookout for some more revenue.
Also, I see an issue with the bracket for me here. An ordinance prohibits bending or cutting or altering a Nebraska license plate.
I am opened to any suggestion to get that massive plate off of the front (other moving).
V/r,Mike

Nebraska Mike

Its IMPORTANT to get that damn plate out of...

and away from the air stream to the radiator... At 65mph or better it deflects a lot of the air AROUND the radiator.

You did good and the contour would be great for a track car but then a track car doesn't wear plates. Your preference, and all is good.

My preference would be to hang it straight but maybe slanted forward a bit... but as I said... hanging it anywhere on the bumper in no good!

Those that doubt can prove it for themselves.

(P.S. Love those wheels!)

I tried for one on my motorhome and was told that because the restoration wasn't fully complete they would deny it and there was an inspection needed. This car is pretty rough.

There is a odd shaped bracket for the 74's that bolts on under front lip in the center of the car.
It's actually a 2 piece bracket, I don't have my car any more so no pictures, but with it removed it would be very difficult to find the mounting site.

Oregon is like Washington, front plate required (with some exceptions). My understanding is that the primary reason for it is for red light camera's.

My 71 spider (formerly Pierre Benniston's Sun Racer) only has a rear plate thanks to registering it as a Special Project car. However I am restricted to driving the car in parades, or to and from Car Shows and Club Events.

My solution is that I frequently drive with a buddy with a spider and we are a "club" having a driving event. :thumbsup:

Collector plate

There's no inspection for vehicle condition, if it runs and/or is currently registered, it's just paperwork. Pay one time, no more tabs and no front plate... lovely!

I'm going to go that route next time I have to pay for tabs. I'll go somewhere else, the gal at my local license place seemed to dislike the idea.

Funny my '74 X doesn't seem to have a place for mounting a front plate which is fine by me since in CA I haven't been bothered by the popo for no front plate in more than 20 years.

They used to pull me over for some infraction and then just give me a fix it ticket for no front plate instead but like I said that ended over 2 decades ago.

Color me jealous. My car has been ticketed in the local Caltrain station for no front plate and even the CHP raced after me after I stopped for gas in Dunnigan off of I-5. I was zooming along at 68 or so and he came up on me easily pushing 100. It was pretty impressive seeing him come up on me - I kept waiting for him to move over, but no such luck.

The only reason he came after me was no front plate. It had literally fallen off a few days before and I hadn't had a chance to put it back on." I even pulled the plate out from behind the passenger seat to show him. He looked at the front of the car again and said, "Not that I'm calling you a lair, but I don't see where that plate was mounted." I offered to show him and he kindly turned me down asking me to stay in the car.

For now, it's zip-tied to the front of the grill off to the left side to keep it out of the flow of air to the radiator. I really want to find the exact vehicle code to see if there's a requirement on how big the plate has to be - do only the numbers have to show? If so, I'd like to bend the plate to make it as small as possible and still be in compliance.

Larry
'79 X1/9

Back