Seat Removal- no luck with search

AZDrifter

True Classic
I have a 1980 X with no bolts holding the seats or runner in place. I spent about a solid hour trying to remove the spring under the seat from the back or the front with no luck. I was using a coat hanger, vice grips, a trim removal tool, needle nose pliers, nothing helped. I read that the seat gets pushed off the runner from the front, but mine seems to have a stop to prevent that from happening. I am pretty certain that the
Devil himself had a hand in designing this seat runner. Whoever it was deserves a solid kick in the groin.

Am I missing something?

On another note, I finally gave up and bought the glovebox lid from M-B. The back of it was not included, so I am no better off than before. I can't even mount the latch. :mad2:

I used a large flat screw driver to push the spring off. From the front. After that whole seat should slide ahead and right off the rails. Does on my '81 anyway.
Not sure what you face with the glove box. My latch was messed up when I got mine, got another and still had to play around until it would catch and release consistently.

I will try that over the 4th of July weekend, otherwise maybe cut the springs. Sounds like they are also hard to reinstall. Thank you.

Seat spring

I removed my seat on a 81 and just pushed them foward. The attachments for the end of the springs are offset allowing for the spring to flip over. Once far enough forward the floor end is easily unhooked. I would like to believe that when they assembled the cars they would not be fighting under the seats to attach springs.

Back