Fiat X1/9 headlight screws for sale

rx1900

1981 X1/9
EDIT - please see below !!!

Hi folks. As part of my ongoing X1/9 restoration, I am in the process of rebuilding the headlight pods. As is usual for these cars, the original screws that secured the black outer headlight trim piece, and the screws that held down the chrome headlight ring were all mangled, rusted, seized, and the drive mostly rounded out. Those of you who have had to change a burnt out headlight - or tried to convert to better H4 headlights, have no doubt struggled with this.

I was finally able to remove all the screws, but they were at that point certainly not suitable for re-use.

I then discovered that replacements were almost impossible to obtain easily. I was able to measure them and discovered them to both be oddball metric sizes. Nothing you will find at your local hardware store or big box store.

So....I went searching for quality replacements and was finally successful. I found the headlight ring screws in a warehouse in North
America, and the trim screws in a warehouse in Europe. Those had to flown in to here.

Problem was....I had to buy a box of 200 of each, way more than I will ever use in my lifetime. So...I am offering up the excess to you folks.

Both screws are A2 stainless steel grade 70. The best I could find. Sourced from a major Euro based hardware supplier - not some Chinese Ebay crap. Both have the proper OE type Phillips drive, just like the originals. Both are dimensionally identical to the original Fiat screws (but of much higher quality) - with one exception: I have found in the past that some aftermarket H4 headlights have a slightly thicker glass than the original lamps, so I ordered the headlight ring screws 2mm longer than the originals. Still fine of course for the original light units, but gives you a little more flexibility for fitting other types of headlights if you need.

So..I packaged up my excess screws in zip-locks. In a kit to do a complete X1/9. That is 6 of each screw, so total of 12 screws. They will be labelled as well.

1 kit - INCLUDING air mail postage

To Canada: $9 Canadian

To USA: $8 US funds

To International: $11 Canadian

For those of you who would like more than one set - because a lot of my cost is in the postage - simply add $5 Canadian (for Canadian and International orders) or $4 US (for US orders) for each additional set.

For anyone local to me, you are welcome to pick them up. If you have a bunch of X1/9 owners local to you, I'd be happy to combine shipping to one location.

Kindly Paypal to:

EDITED OUT FOR NOW - PLEASE SEE BELOW

Please note this Xweb website automatically changes the "at" symbol to a "*" symbol.

Any questions or concerns, just ask.

Thanks for looking. Doug

EDIT !!!! EDIT !!!! If my calculations are correct, I now have 31 sets spoken for (I was able to make up 33 sets from my boxes of 200). So.....PLEASE do not send any Paypal until the dust settles a bit. The 31 sets I refer to includes all those who have said - on the forum or in a PM - that they would like a set. So I have enough for all those folks (for the quantity they indicated) and certainly they can please go ahead and send the Paypal. All others PLEASE hold off for now. I have edited out the Paypal address for now. If you are one of those who are on my list and need my Paypal address again, just PM me. If anyone else out there would like one of the last 2 remaining sets, please just PM me and I will respond in order of receipt. I have spent all evening packing up and mailing out kits. It's now 3am here and I gotta get some sleep. Thanks again so much folks !!

Last edited:
Wow, thanks Doug!

I'm in for at least one set, watch for a PM in a day or two (see offer, below).

One question - what's the size of the machine screw? I'd want to chase the car side thread with a tap before installation.

Seattle area folks (Olympia to Bellingham) - if anyone wants to combine orders to save postage, let me know. I can repost them to you when they come in or we could meet up in person.

I'll take a set

Thanks Doug, I will be getting a set.

*Tom - If I remember correctly you live on Mercer Island. Can you add a set for me? I can swing by as its very close. Let me know.

Darin

Yup, let's combine kits.

Hi Darin, I'm happy to combine kits.

Doug put me in touch with another Seattle area member and I've reached out to them about combining shipments, too.

Standby until I hear from that third party...

I'll go for a couple of sets

Only got 1 X1/9, but one of the PO's didn't fit all the screws back when they replaced the sealed beam units.

Going to bump my order to 10 sets. I mentioned it to another X1/9 owner and seems there's a demand for this... I was going to bump it to 8, but 10 is such a nice base number.

I'll send the ducats via PayPal shortly.

Larry
'79 X1/9

Last edited:
I'll take 4 sets

Tom, if you are willing to combine my 4 sets into your shipment let me know. I don't know how you want to take care of the payment, I assume that I will send Doug payment for my portion via Paypal once you know how many sets you will be ordering.

Keep me posted and feel free to call me anytime at 206-683-1903. I live in Maple Valley and I currently have three X1/9's (1979,1980 and 1986). The 4th set is for a spare or for the next X1/9 I may add to my collection in the future:thumbsup:

George

Update

Hi folks. Well.....I am shocked at the response. All sets have now been spoken for. Within 24 hours of my posting. Wow...

I have already mailed out sets to those who have paid, and sent them PMs to that effect. I have PM'd all those who said they would like a set - via PM or on the forum - with Paypal instructions. If any of the above have not heard from me, then a PM has gone astray. Please post here or PM me.

Many thanks to all. I got some nice screws for myself. and wont be going to my grave with 194 extra of each....

When you go to install these, here's a couple of tips. In accordance with Fiat - and ISO - standards, these screws each have different phillips drive size. For the chrome ring screws, use a #1 phillips screwdriver. For the trim screws, use a #2 phillips screwdriver. Rout around in your collection of screwdrivers and find the ones that fit the screws snugly.

Although my supplied screws are a nice grade of stainless, and wont rust, they are still going into a dis-similar metal. Do yourself a favour and simply dip the screws into an anti-seize compound before installing. As you probably wont be touching them again for a few years....

It would appear that there is a good demand out there for these screws. I have already had to turn away some folks - sorry about that.

So...if a bunch of you missed out and would still like some - I suppose I could see if I could get some more. But again I would have to buy a box of 200 of each - enough for 33 sets.

IF....you are keen...please just post here something like "I would like 1 set", or "I would like 3 sets". If there appears to be sufficient interest, I will try to order more. You could PM me if you are really shy about posting (it seems that a lot of you are), but try to post here instead so my inbox doesn't get too clogged up.

Thanks again folks. Doug

I think I was born late...
If anyone has more sets or if Doug reveals his sources I would greatly appreciate it. Even with my wife setting a moratorium on my X1/9 spending until after the holidays I think I could sneak this one under her radar. Might cost me an extra gift for her but it would worth it. I have not gotten to the front of the X yet. Started in the back and engine bay plus worked on immediate challenges.
V/r, Mike

Doug,

I was able to buy the screws for the black headlight trim from Fastenal in bags of 100. These screws are M3.5x16 sheet metal screws to ISO standard 7050 (successor standard to DIN 7982C; most places still refer to them by the DIN standard). The Fastenal part number is 11511518. They show local stock in Florida, but no stock on-line.

Screws

I am interested in two sets if you still have them. Kim. Oh, I see they are gone. Thanks anyway. Let me know if you get more. I have three exes that are drivers and two spares. I'm hording cars, I might as well hord screws. k_get*msn.com

Last edited:
Headlight screws

Hi Doug,
I would be interested in two sets if you restock, please.
Thanks

Jeff Aurand

What years do these fit? My '74 and a spare set of buckets from a '76 both use machine screws to attach the black bezels; not the sheet metal type threads in your kit However, my '85 does use the type in your kit. Anyone know when they changed?

Back