Arduino and Android Dashboard

xunonove

Daily Driver
Ciao Amici,

This is probably sacrilege for some of you purists out there, but I am continuing work on the dashboard of my '74 with K20 conversion and decided to modernize it. I am so grateful to Rodger for documenting and posting so many details about his build, and to Bob Brown for his electrical guru-ness and offering to make a final Marshall gauge conversion for me. I declined this kind offer because I wanted to try and tackle the gauge job myself.

Instead of the "traditional" conversion cutting up the original circuit board and soldering jumper wires, I elected to go a difference route: I used a string of addressable LEDs and an Arduino to power the gauge lights.

The basic setup is that the input wires are routed to a device called an optocoupler, which takes the 10-14V signal from the various inputs (blinkers, warning lights from the Hondata, etc) and sends a steady 5V connection to the Arduino, which it needs to sense the signal.

I decided to only replace the speedometer, but left the original tachometer (I'd rather have the backwards RPM tach then matching gauges!).

The stereo is a 7 inch Android that is readily available on eBay. It's nice and narrow, so fits within a widened radio space without protruding. The signal goes to a 400W amp and then a sound bar on the parcel shelf and a subwoofer in the spare tire bay. That's a post for another day...

Back of the gauge cluster:

PXL_20210221_190233821.jpg

Front of gauge cluster in its new home:

PXL_20210227_192244980.jpg

All of the wiring fits behind the Bertone speaker grille. There are a lot of wires - every signal needs it's own positive and ground. Some of the signals to the original cluster are positive and grounded to work, others are the opposite. These go to the optocoupler.

PXL_20210227_194545958.jpg

The optocoupler then sends the signal to the Arduino.

The code is pretty straightforward. I'm not a coder, but self-taught after watching some youtube tutorials. There is a library called "FastLED" that makes programming the addressable LEDs pretty easy. You can change color, brightness, etc. I have 15 lights, but you can control hundreds if so desired. They are also RGB so you can make them any color you want.

You'll also need a couple of 12V to 5V adapters. These are the things that are inside of the car cigarette lighter phone chargers. These are also readily obtainable on ebay. One powers the Arduino, one powers the light LEDs.

I should mention that everything is obviously fused - be careful to isolate all the wires and protect against shorts, as there are a lot of wires involved in this process. Meticulous labeling is also helpful.

It all tucks behind the Bertone grille. An installation in a later car may be trickier as it doesn't have this space. I will aim to clean this up later and probably use a more permanent solution with wires soldered onto an Arduino Nano Pro Mini.

PXL_20210320_203604431.jpg

The gauge lights are nice and bright, and I can even make silly light shows if I want.

Final gauge cluster with lights:

PXL_20210320_213006781.jpg

Final outcome:

PXL_20210320_212925110.jpg

I'm happy to share my experience with this. Reach out if you have any questions, want a copy of the code, etc.
Scott

That's great work @xunonove ! For the tachometer, did you need to amplify the ECU signal to get the stock tach to work? I think the ECU only sends a 5v signal and would expect a 12v signal is what the stock tach expects (which is why I grabbed the 'tach match' as noted in the conversation with @Vagone).

That's great work @xunonove ! For the tachometer, did you need to amplify the ECU signal to get the stock tach to work? I think the ECU only sends a 5v signal and would expect a 12v signal is what the stock tach expects (which is why I grabbed the 'tach match' as noted in the conversation with @Vagone).
Thank you. No, I haven't tried to fire it up yet - I need to wrap up the interior and then I can see how the tach behaves. You are correct, if I can't adjust it in the Hondata, I'll have to get a tach match or dakota digital adapter. Thanks for sharing that conversation - it's helpful to my project, too!

It's always great to see what others come up with. Scott, GREAT JOB on the cluster. Looks like you've put a lot of work in it and have made great progress.
I've had ambitions to make a fully digital (or should I say color TFT Color LED ) cluster and wrote a major portion of the code for it, but finding a fast enough computer to drive it was my biggest challenge. My goal was to have the display "ready" within 10 seconds of power-up, but that was too big a challenge at the time. Today, not so much but TIME is my biggest challenge with what I've got going here at home.
If you want to view my (10 year-old) progress, you can download the program HERE. Take note this is an old VB6 application and will work with Windows 10 just fine.

It's always great to see what others come up with. Scott, GREAT JOB on the cluster. Looks like you've put a lot of work in it and have made great progress.
I've had ambitions to make a fully digital (or should I say color TFT Color LED ) cluster and wrote a major portion of the code for it, but finding a fast enough computer to drive it was my biggest challenge. My goal was to have the display "ready" within 10 seconds of power-up, but that was too big a challenge at the time. Today, not so much but TIME is my biggest challenge with what I've got going here at home.
If you want to view my (10 year-old) progress, you can download the program HERE. Take note this is an old VB6 application and will work with Windows 10 just fine.
That would be amazing to have a full LED display. I should mention that the Arduino also has a few second start-up time. Apparently, the pro-mini Arduino has a no-bootloader option that is much faster. I'll explore that in the future. For your project, the new Raspberry pi zero (https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-zero/) may have enough processing power, but start-up time may still be an issue. The speed of progress in these microcontrollers is pretty amazing.

Ciao Amici,

This is probably sacrilege for some of you purists out there, but I am continuing work on the dashboard of my '74 with K20 conversion and decided to modernize it. I am so grateful to Rodger for documenting and posting so many details about his build, and to Bob Brown for his electrical guru-ness and offering to make a final Marshall gauge conversion for me. I declined this kind offer because I wanted to try and tackle the gauge job myself.

Instead of the "traditional" conversion cutting up the original circuit board and soldering jumper wires, I elected to go a difference route: I used a string of addressable LEDs and an Arduino to power the gauge lights.

The basic setup is that the input wires are routed to a device called an optocoupler, which takes the 10-14V signal from the various inputs (blinkers, warning lights from the Hondata, etc) and sends a steady 5V connection to the Arduino, which it needs to sense the signal.

I decided to only replace the speedometer, but left the original tachometer (I'd rather have the backwards RPM tach then matching gauges!).

The stereo is a 7 inch Android that is readily available on eBay. It's nice and narrow, so fits within a widened radio space without protruding. The signal goes to a 400W amp and then a sound bar on the parcel shelf and a subwoofer in the spare tire bay. That's a post for another day...

Back of the gauge cluster:

View attachment 45095

Front of gauge cluster in its new home:

View attachment 45096

All of the wiring fits behind the Bertone speaker grille. There are a lot of wires - every signal needs it's own positive and ground. Some of the signals to the original cluster are positive and grounded to work, others are the opposite. These go to the optocoupler.

View attachment 45097

The optocoupler then sends the signal to the Arduino.

The code is pretty straightforward. I'm not a coder, but self-taught after watching some youtube tutorials. There is a library called "FastLED" that makes programming the addressable LEDs pretty easy. You can change color, brightness, etc. I have 15 lights, but you can control hundreds if so desired. They are also RGB so you can make them any color you want.

You'll also need a couple of 12V to 5V adapters. These are the things that are inside of the car cigarette lighter phone chargers. These are also readily obtainable on ebay. One powers the Arduino, one powers the light LEDs.

I should mention that everything is obviously fused - be careful to isolate all the wires and protect against shorts, as there are a lot of wires involved in this process. Meticulous labeling is also helpful.

It all tucks behind the Bertone grille. An installation in a later car may be trickier as it doesn't have this space. I will aim to clean this up later and probably use a more permanent solution with wires soldered onto an Arduino Nano Pro Mini.

View attachment 45098

The gauge lights are nice and bright, and I can even make silly light shows if I want.

Final gauge cluster with lights:

View attachment 45099

Final outcome:

View attachment 45100

I'm happy to share my experience with this. Reach out if you have any questions, want a copy of the code, etc.
Scott
Hi. What brand head unit is that, and do you remember it’s depth measurement? The ones I’m considering are mostly 3” deep.
How is it being held in place? Is it screwed into the front of the dash, or did you fabricate something under the dash to hold it in place. Looks so much better than a traditional depth, single DIN unit. Any photos of the process? That would be great info. Thanks.

NN photos of the nstallatio

Last edited:
Hi. What brand head unit is that, and do you remember it’s depth measurement? The ones I’m considering are mostly 3” deep.
How is it being held in place? Is it screwed into the front of the dash, or did you fabricate something under the dash to hold it in place. Looks so much better than a traditional depth, single DIN unit. Any photos of the process? That would be great info. Thanks.

NN photos of the nstallatio
Thanks! Just sent you some additional pics in PM. This is the head unit I used. It's pretty cheap and you get what you pay for - but it had the features I wanted: https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Inch-And...775969?hash=item5965c93ae1:g:TtkAAOSwUltgLHUS

Back