Elanplus2

True Classic
In replacing the carpet in my '78 X I've found one of the toggle switches has had a Fiberoptic Line severed at sometime. Are these able to be repaired?

Cheers.

I believe it is a fiber bundle so trying to splice it would be very lossy. You could probably replace it with 1mm solid core plastic fiber used for audio applications. Just cut off the Toslink connectors and polish the ends using a figure 8 motion on a piece of glass with toothpaste as an abrasive. My plan (if I ever get to it) is to replace the fibers with LEDs.

Could someone elaborate on what these fiber optic lines are and where they are located. I assume they are to light up switches?

Could someone elaborate on what these fiber optic lines are and where they are located. I assume they are to light up switches?
They are a set of extruded plastic, light pipes going from a central source of light to individual switches.

The light bulb is on top of the tunnel underneath the center console, the light pipes are in a bundle which then fans out to the individual switches. The end of the light pipe faces the bulb in an enclosed housing encasing the bulb.

There is the early version of the bundle and the late version of the bundle, linked below.

They do indeed light the switches.

There are how to’s for converting them to an LED using rice sized LEDs or just use a focused lens type single LED to blast more light into the end of light pipe bundle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the description, I can't remember seeing that light box on the tunnel when I had the car taken apart. Would you happen to have a picture of the light box in place?

Thanks for the description, I can't remember seeing that light box on the tunnel when I had the car taken apart. Would you happen to have a picture of the light box in place?
On a 1300, there is a light bulb that sits roughly behind the cigarette lighter. It has a metal shroud that snaps over it which contains the fibers.

It is only just a bit bigger than the bulb itself. This is what it looks like, those are standard 6mm spade connectors, one for power and the second to ground. The housing tends to get lost in the mess of wires behind the console.

The interior of m y 78 is disassembled so I went out and took a couple pictures.

Technically speaking. There are a bunch of little clear plastic thingies that look like they would go into the console switches.
20230116_134816.jpg
There is a black "wire" from each clear thingy that collect back into one larger "wire" that plugs into this other bigger thingy.
20230116_134804.jpg

The interior of m y 78 is disassembled so I went out and took a couple pictures.

Technically speaking. There are a bunch of little clear plastic thingies that look like they would go into the console switches.
View attachment 69759
There is a black "wire" from each clear thingy that collect back into one larger "wire" that plugs into this other bigger thingy.
View attachment 69760
Got it, I can now see how I could overlook this unless I knew what I was looking for. THanks everyone.

View attachment 69759
View attachment 69760
Thingies? LOL

They are a set of extruded plastic, light pipes going from a central source of light to individual switches.

The light bulb is on top of the tunnel underneath the center console, the light pipes are in a bundle which then fans out to the individual switches. The end of the light pipe faces the bulb in an enclosed housing encasing the bulb.

There is the early version of the bundle and the late version of the bundle, linked below.

They do indeed light the switches.

There are how to’s for converting them to an LED using rice sized LEDs or just use a focused lens type single LED to blast more light into the end of light pipe bundle.

I seem to remember in month #1 of ownership trying to get an LED to work in that bulb socket, but never being able to get it to light up. Can’t remember why it didn’t, or if someone told me why, but I gave up and moved on. But yes, brighter light blasting down the fiber cables would be good…

I seem to remember in month #1 of ownership trying to get an LED to work in that bulb socket, but never being able to get it to light up. Can’t remember why it didn’t, or if someone told me why, but I gave up and moved on. But yes, brighter light blasting down the fiber cables would be good…
Was it a problem with the dimmer or a bad ground? Those seem to be common problems with the fiber light source.

Was it a problem with the dimmer or a bad ground? Those seem to be common problems with the fiber light source.
At that time, my dimmer was functional. It’s now bypassed. I got a regular bulb to work fine, still is working. Just couldn’t get an LED to light. Possibly bought the wrong kind of LED? At Superbright LED’s, their ‘master-list’ doesn’t have an alternative for the Fiber, incandescent bulb.

Last edited:
Should have added that if anyone else knows of a SPECIFIC LED brand and bulb to use in the tunnel, post it please.

Don't forget that LEDs are polarity sensitive and not 12 V (they require a resistor in series)
Hi. I seem to remember flipping it in the socket with regards to the polarity issue, but no - I didn't throw a resistor in there. That's likely the problem? There aren't LED's specifically built for 12v applications?

I ordered 3mm LEDs and resistors from Digikey:

Digikey_order.jpg

White was too bright so I was going to go with the blue. And I think the 510 ohm resistor. I thought I had pictures of my experiments but apparently not. 3mm will fit in the switch in replacement of the fiber optic end. One issue is that the leads from the LEDs are very fragile. I was considering potting the leads and wires with epoxy.

Roy

Back