Easy Pre-Start-up Priming Tool

Tom Ginefra

True Classic
Don't know if this is common knowledge, or not... but today I discovered that a 12 point 11/32" socket "perfectly" matches the splines on the oil pump shaft. Attached to a decent 1/4" drive extension, I should have no problem spinning up my oil pump to prime my new motor before startup. I slipped it onto the distributor shaft to show the fit. It really is perfect!
20231012_164454.jpg20231012_164451.jpg20231012_164404.jpg20231012_164350.jpg

Do I see tinfoil in there somewhere? :)
Absolutely! We spare no expense when it comes to high tech innovation in my shop!
I wanted to make sure that when I stuck the socket down into that hole, that it came back out again! I cut a piece of an aluminum takeout food container and folded it over 4 sides of the drive, just to make sure it was wedged nice and tight on the end of the extension.

Don't know if this is common knowledge, or not... but today I discovered that a 12 point 11/32" socket "perfectly" matches the splines on the oil pump shaft. Attached to a decent 1/4" drive extension, I should have no problem spinning up my oil pump to prime my new motor before startup. I slipped it onto the distributor shaft to show the fit. It really is perfect!
View attachment 78023View attachment 78024View attachment 78025View attachment 78026
Did this method work for you? Looks great! So did you remove the distributor and the gear and insert the tool you made to spin the oil pump?

Yes, it worked like a charm. The only thing I would recommend is to also give a thin wrap of duct tape to further secure it from coming off the extension.

Yes, it worked like a charm. The only thing I would recommend is to also give a thin wrap of duct tape to further secure it from coming off the extension.
I don't mind having the socket welded to the extension and make it a permanent priming tool.

Somehow I missed this thread before. Thanks to Pete for finding it and bringing it back up.

Nice job Tom. ;) Sure wish I'd known about the 11/32" socket before I went through all of the work to make a tool from a old oil pump / dizzy drive gear. :rolleyes:

For the tool I made I drilled/tapped the side of it for a set screw (grub screw) to make sure the thing didn't fall off inside the block. That way it can be removed if needed for anything else. But if you have a welder then that would be the most secure approach.

Back