Headlight covers

Stoney#1

Stoney
Just wondering if there is an adjustment that will help align the cover with surrounding area when closed. My DS one is just slightly out of line with the area. Sits about 1/8 to 1/4 inch low on inside edge but is level on fender side. Will post a picture if I figure out how to do it

Thanks for any suggestions

Stoney

Here are pictures of the troubled light cover

Attachments

• 20170707_122423.jpg
    20170707_122423.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 20170707_122448.jpg
    20170707_122448.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 148
Looks like some imperfect accident damage repair or some parts were left out during reassembly. The gap margin between the body and the headlight cover should be the same on the left and the right. I suspect with some effort you could likely cure this problem.

I would put some blue masking tape on all the edges and surfaces of the body to either side and then remove the existing bucket to see if you could lift the mount to the left and up (in the photos) and shim it left to right.

Looks like some imperfect accident damage repair or some parts were left out during reassembly. The gap margin between the body and the headlight cover should be the same on the left and the right. I suspect with some effort you could likely cure this problem.

I would put some blue masking tape on all the edges and surfaces of the body to either side and then remove the existing bucket to see if you could lift the mount to the left and up (in the photos) and shim it left to right.
Ok, thanks for the suggestion. The car was never in any type of accident, not even minor one. I have known the owners since new. They may have been removed when it got painted and not reinstalled correctly (that would be me doing the installing) I will be looking closer. Must remember to remove all power prior to doing this.

Thanks again

Stoney

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. The car was never in any type of accident, not even minor one. I have known the owners since new. They may have been removed when it got painted and not reinstalled correctly (that would be me doing the installing) I will be looking closer. Must remember to remove all power prior to doing this.

Thanks again

Stoney
There is a set of washers between the bucket and the body on each side. It may be as simple as the washers not being put back where they should go.

There is a parts manual on the SoCal X1/9 site. If you look at page 28 (in the pdf document, marked page 24 in the body of the document) you'll see a grimy image of how the pod mounts to the body. You can read the Fiat part numbers on that page and cross reference with our vendors' sites to see what each washer / bolt etc. looks like.

As I recall at least one side pivot is on an adjustable bracket bolted to the body with oversize holes, so you can adjust the alignment of the pods. You can also shim the pod side to side to even up the side gaps.

Yes, they just look improperly installed. If the inboard bracket is moved slightly up and back that will index the bucket in the direction you need to move. There are also bump stops on the front edge IIRC.
I think three 10mm bolts hold the bracket in place you can loosen the bolts slightly to index the bracket. Too loose and it will flop around. There is a spring loaded device which will come into play as well.
Pay close attention to how it should line up... For example:
Equal space side to side and in line with the top edge of the nose band. It is best to just go for a consistent line even if not equal and top edge in alignment with the top edge of nose band. If you can achieve this then it would just be a matter of moving shims from one side to the other for side movement...
Hope this makes sense...
Regards

Back