Insertable Wiper Relay Mod

It appears introducing the relay causes the issue. I tested a few known working as well as new ones. Although when I initially connected everything, it worked on the first try. If I put it back to stock, it works fine (with the slower wipers) and if I just supply power to the circuit it also works. Any other ideas?

http://youtu.be/a_DlyPz97nI

Rudy, it looks like....

Looks like you're interrupting the switch side of the wiper motor, rather than the motor side.
Wish I was there to see what's going on...
Can you take a close-up of the relay showing the wires you're interrupting?

No issue

I made also that wiper relay modification in 2010 and no flaw issue.
In the picture you can see my chassis ground connection and plastic box enclosure for the relays.

s3g1.jpg

Looks like you're interrupting the switch side of the wiper motor, rather than the motor side.
Wish I was there to see what's going on...
Can you take a close-up of the relay showing the wires you're interrupting?
As you can see, it's starting to get messy in here... you say this should go on the other side? Tried that, same result. :confused:

Back to square one.

Hmm.... Thinks I may have figured it out...
Pretty sure I used THIS schematic and just noticed the supply and switch terminals are swapped? The supply is connected to the output and the output to the supply terminal.
http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s650/Tribalwars11/Photobucket Desktop - RONS-HP/wire1.jpg

I'm presently reinstalling my fuel injectors and plenum but will probably re-look at my relay connections and swap terminals 30 and 87 on each one when I have time...

Hmm.... Thinks I may have figured it out...
Pretty sure I used THIS schematic and just noticed the supply and switch terminals are swapped? The supply is connected to the output and the output to the supply terminal.
http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s650/Tribalwars11/Photobucket Desktop - RONS-HP/wire1.jpg

I'm presently reinstalling my fuel injectors and plenum but will probably re-look at my relay connections and swap terminals 30 and 87 on each one when I have time...
That's interesting...just tried it, same result as the before. I don't get it...worked on the first try using Les' diagram, then suddenly stopped as I was buttoning things up. Can't find loose connections, pulled the harness I made and soldered everything. Putting back to stock works normally, so nothing loose there. The fault lies somewhere in the relays. ...Time to pop open a bottle of wine and ponder.

Ok, problem solved.....It's definitely the ground that cleared up my issue. Seems like the relays want to be grounded to either the body or with the ground wire within the original harness. I tried quite a few combinations, that's what it came down to. Hope yours is as easy.

BTW, this is following Les' diagram. I'm not sure the other one is correct.

How did you have it grounded before when it didn't work?
I now recall that when I tested it after I set it up initially, that I just grounded it to the body. Then buttoning things up, my design was to ground it in the secondary fuse block I have installed in the front trunk which houses all of my relay mods in on location, so I know where all of my hackings are fused at :) This thing:

That's where the gremlin lives. So now I just took the ground off the relays and soldered it to the black wire in the original harness and that works, so I'm going with that. This is a neat enough package for my taste so now to just throw it into a project box and move on to the power windows.

I appreciate the assist here!

Ever since I bought my '82 X1/9 its wipers have always been anemic in operation, and the voltmeter on the dash would always dip heavily with each wipe of the blades. This year I finally got the few parts together to do the wiper relay mod, and the resulting wiper operation is wonderful! Finally there's a noticeable difference between the low and high speeds. The photo shows my simple installation, based on descriptions and guidance found here on Xweb. You can see the original gray and pink wires going to the relays, and the blue and orange substitute wires from the relays back to the white plastic AMP connector. The wire from the battery to the inline 20A fuse holder was pushed into the same split-tubing/wire-loom that I used to decorate the "brown wire" (actually red wire) mod. The green ground wires are attached to a crimp-on eyelet going to the far side screw of the cover through which the wiper wires and window washing tube go.

X19-Wiper-Mod.jpg

Last edited:
Slowe wipers on Montecarlo

Hello,
I want to do the same mod on my Montecarlo and i ordered 2 relays however now i see that the relays are of a differend type ( the ones with 85,30,87a,87,86 connectors ):mallet:
I can tackle most of the mechanical problems butt i ame not an electronic wizard. Is the above mod translatable to that type of relay?

They'll work...

They'll work fine, you just have to be sure you connect your "power out" wire to the right tab. I think it's the 87 tab, not the 87a. 87a should be normally closed, so it will have power out when the relay is not triggered, while the 87 tab should be normally open or powered only when the relay is triggered.

:confused:As i said " i am not an electrical wizard" Witch one is the power out? Is it the one coming from the battery + and going to the 87? If yes witch wire in the above mod picture goes to the 87 a?

Ah, I see the diagram you're using. It's backwards in that the power from the battery (red line) should be going to (30) and power out (grey or violet) should be on (87). But, it will work either way.

Ignore your extra tab (87a) and it should work fine. Connect only to the (87) and other tabs.

Ah, I see the diagram you're using. It's backwards in that the power from the battery (red line) should be going to (30) and power out (grey or violet) should be on (87). But, it will work either way.

Ignore your extra tab (87a) and it should work fine. Connect only to the (87) and other tabs.

The question I need to ask is if the motor is a 5 wire or 6 wire motor. Look at the wires that go to the motor. Does this connector have 5 or 6 wires? If this is 5 wires you will need to add a jumper wire on one of the connectors.

No it is a 6 wire motor.
In the mean time i found another diagram (with is with the 87a tab not connected) in a Geek daddy reply. In that one the wire colors on the motor are the same butt different on the loom. The one who in the diagram is grey/black on mine is grey/red, the pink one is grey and the blue/white is Bleu/red.
After installing i will report if they wiping is faster
Thanks to Gregg, Todd and Geek daddy

relay wiper mod on Montecarlo "whaw"

I did the mod.
Speed 1, from 13 (before) ................................now 43/min:).
Speed 2, from 23 ( before mod )..........................now 23 what did i do wrong ?:mad: Any suggestions?
Intermittent did not count it before , however i think it seems also much faster

I did the mod.
Speed 1, from 13 (before) ................................now 43/min:).
Speed 2, from 23 ( before mod )..........................now 23 what did i do wrong ?:mad: Any suggestions?
Intermittent did not count it before , however i think it seems also much faster

Maybe you you got the fast and slow reversed 13 is now 23 and 23 is now 43. I do not know how you reversed the speeds, but it does make some sense.

Back