Installed a windshield -- lessons learned

Mine had been replaced (way back in '89 I believe) It was barely glued in with lots of gaps and was easy to get out since it looks like they didn't clean first so glued over dust. I used u-418. I do not want to try to take it out again. It will resist mightily the next time.

A beautiful tool, Brian........!

........the Urethane cutting tool when the time comes, similar to a sawzall with a thin flexible 3" wide chisel blade that you slide in on the inside then just cut down at the edge of the glass and pop it out......

A good friend of mine owns a large panel shop here in NZ. Soon after I bought my 1300 X, I took the X to him to repair the "well-known" rust bubbles around the windscreen surround.
I asked him would it be necessary for me to remove the w/screen, a job I hate doing like poison!
He assured me the screen MUST come out, and he said "leave it me, mate!!"
He emerged from his tool cabinet with this strange sawzall-looking thing, and I immediately went white in the face! :shock:
In about 4-5 minutes, the screen was out, unmarked, and lying on the floor of his w/shop!
I can clearly remember him smirking at me - and saying "leave it to the PROFESSIONALS, Ian!"
I took his word on that! :nod:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Agreed, The right tools make all the difference... I've cut out a urethane set windshield before, not again...

Back