making parts 3D printing

are they? Got a link? Not that I care, I don't have an X1/9. I modeled them myself and am printing them, a forum member here had the knobs printed professionally and they turned out great but the fit was sloppy so am trying to tweak the model a bit, hard to know if it's better when I can't print "good ones" myself, or have a car to test them on!
I'm plenty busy with my son's Porsche ('87 924s) and 240z ('72 with a zz4 350 V8, can you say GO!) '91 Miata and not to mention the '62 Galaxie convertible and three motorcycles and a new puppy. I will get "my own" toy car again someday, another X1/9 maybe but there's so many, I might go old school roadster, TR3 or even an MG TD or TC or TF,

Got a link?
Here is one source:
https://ladapower.com/catalog/lada-...0/lada-niva-heater-control-levers-knob-detail
They are in Europe, so may not be worth the shipping cost to order just those knobs. But if you have several items together then it is much less expensive than other sources. There are a lot of compatible parts offered. Perhaps some of it is not the best quality, but depending on what you want most of it is as good as the typical stuff offered elsewhere (actually I've found many of the items sold by US vendors came from there, but with a substantial markup).

I can completely understand the situation with too many projects going on. I'm in the same boat; cars, trucks, bikes, etc, all waiting for me and not enough time. I tend to bounce from project to project so none of them ever seem to get very far. By the way, I've done the classic British car thing...my advice is don't go there. ;)

working on a replacement heater/ac control panel still a work in progress i printed the replacement in white

Attachments

• fiat heater ac panel.jpg
    fiat heater ac panel.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 69
working on a replacement heater/ac control panel still a work in progress i printed the replacement in white

Hi all,

just letting you know that I created a new section in the wiki for any 3D parts designs (I couldn't find the STL files for the Cromodora wheel caps from this thread BTW). Anyway, the page is here:

https://xwebforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=3dModels

With 3D printers becoming cheaper (and better) and parts becoming more difficult to find,. this could turn into a valuable resource!

Cheers,
Dom.

Dom, thanks for the interest in this topic. I'm very new to 3d printing and design, but have already made many useful things for use around our farm.

And, I've made a few Fiat parts. I see it was my heater knobs you posted.

I would also like to add some wheel caps I did. How do I get them in the wiki? And, can we have some space to elaborate on the design a bit? I'm thinking how on thingiverse.com the designer can give a short piece of information to go along with his uploaded files. He may also like to include a readme in the file collection.

Sorry, I have no experience with a wiki except reading it.

I'd love to print the little plastic pieces just under the headlights of series 1 cars! :)

Great idea to have these in the wiki! Thanks!!
I think I saw that part on thingiverse.com. I may have it downloaded if you don't find it there.

There is some licensing on that site I haven't read yet since I never intend to sell printed items from files I downloaded. It's possible that agreement says we can't post the files here. Maybe Dom can help us understand how we could add a link to files on a site like thingiverse so xweb folks can help themselves.

Last edited:
What kind of plastic are the lenses for taillights and such made of? Perhaps vacuum forming can also be included if anyone has experience.

I would like to print center caps for my steelies. Does anyone know where I can get the file or even know where to buy them?
IMG_20210414_185050.jpg

The lenses seem to be ABS. but i have not suceeded in making any lenses on my 3d printer yet i am working on it
I am missing on of my Tag lights (cover and lens). i will be happy to model the original center caps assuming all steelies are the same.

The lenses seem to be ABS. but i have not suceeded in making any lenses on my 3d printer yet i am working on it
I am missing on of my Tag lights (cover and lens). i will be happy to model the original center caps assuming all steelies are the same.
Bjorn and jrweikle, I took a quick try to make a steelie wheel cap. I found a real Fiat cap to measure but steel wheels I have are in my other garage an hour away.

This is not a perfect replica but if you want to try one I'll be happy to make some adjustments if needed.

I'm submitting 2 files. One has a raised Fiat logo so it would have to be printed with supports. The other file is without a logo and could be printed face down without supports
for test fitting.

Attachments

• steelie wheel cap rev2.zip
    981.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I think there are different center bores on various steel wheels? If so the caps will be different depending on the specific wheel.

Dom, thanks for the interest in this topic. I'm very new to 3d printing and design, but have already made many useful things for use around our farm.

And, I've made a few Fiat parts. I see it was my heater knobs you posted.

I would also like to add some wheel caps I did. How do I get them in the wiki? And, can we have some space to elaborate on the design a bit? I'm thinking how on thingiverse.com the designer can give a short piece of information to go along with his uploaded files. He may also like to include a readme in the file collection.

Sorry, I have no experience with a wiki except reading it.

Hi Ernie,

many thanks for that! I didn't not attribute the ownership of that file deliberately (I simply had it on my PC and couldn't recall from where I'd downloaded it). But I'll certainly do that now. BTW: my son got an Elder 3 for his birthday but I think I've played with it more than him ;). These heater knobs render really well. I was extremely impressed (I even had to learn about supports for the centre one).

As for help with the wiki, I put together a quick how to here:

https://xwebforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wiki_How_To

Currently the editing process does require some basic knowledge of Wiki formatting (although there are icons in the editing toolbar to help). I'll work with Mark to get a WYSIWYG editor extension installed (like in the forum) which should help even more. If you need any help just ping me.

Cheers,
Dom.

I think there are different center bores on various steel wheels? If so the caps will be different depending on the specific wheel.
You are probably right. The one @Ernie mentioned at thingiverse won't fit on my steelies. The diameter on the cap bore is just 35mm on my rims.
Ernie, thanks for providing an option. It will take a while until I have access to a printer but looking forward to see the result.

You are probably right. The one @Ernie mentioned at thingiverse won't fit on my steelies. The diameter on the cap bore is just 35mm on my rims.
Ernie, thanks for providing an option. It will take a while until I have access to a printer but looking forward to see the result.
Sorry, Bjorn. I had no idea there are diffent steel wheel for our cars. I have a bunch of original Fiat caps for steel wheels that I know we're from 128sl coupes, but the caps also fit the wheels that came on the first x19 I bought.

Anyway, if you don't come up with another solution let me know if you would like me to make one that fits your wheels. Not that I'm a hot shot 3d design guy. I just think I can keep modifying the file I have without too much trouble.

I would like to print center caps for my steelies. Does anyone know where I can get the file or even know where to buy them?
View attachment 46354
the caps you want Bjorn look like these,
20210422_081932.jpg

used on 128SL, X19 and 131S

a flash alternative is the ealier type found on the first of the 128 sport L's in Austalia, 1972 model year only, stainless steel, 4276216 is the Fat part number, I found these on ebay italy
20210422_081940.jpg

identical in size to the stainless ones there is another type with the FIAT script instead of the rhomboid, found on 130 coupe wheels.

I've got no new centre caps left to sell, sorry, all sold except for a couple of sets for my own use, but this will give you an idea of what to look for.

SteveC

The steelie caps I have are the one in the second picture. 50mm outside and 43mm at the clips. So, for anyone using the files I posted be sure to check your wheels.

Back