Mocking up an exhaust system - done

Hey Rob. I think you misunderstood what I was proposing. If you exited the collector to the right, went over a bit to the right, then took a 180 to go back across the car (to the left) and THEN pulled another 180 into the muffler, it would surely give you LOTS more length of the single pipe.

Is there room with your new muffler to allow it to tuck up flat against the trunk floor like the original ?? Like totally parallel to the ground. ?? If so, should be lots of room underneath it for pipes and 180s and resonators and flexes and such. Or does the muffler have be twisted and ends up chewing up lots of space ?? Maybe a narrower muffler is the answer ??

And hey, I'm sure you've seen our mayor in the news lately, so please dont tell someone from Toronto to "crack on". LOL hahaha

Cheers, Doug

G'day Doug!

I wish I could say I was clever enough to have made that "crack on" joke, but it was unintentional! :doh:Your mayor is definitely a character...

One advantage of starting work before sunrise today is that I got to leave early and do some work on the exhaust.

You could say I was somewhat inspired and, well...it is basically done. We achieved the 35 inches we were after in the tertiary pipe, so pretty pleased with that. As you can see, it ended up being a reasonably compact set up, and yes, it does fit. :headbang: AND, it's a full 8kgs (17.5) pounds lighter than the original system. If you look back at my original pile of pipes, I over-estimated what we would need.

Now to weld on the Hussein style hangers that arrived this afternoon, clean up the welds and apply some ceramic finish.

Cheers,

Rob

What a tangled web you weave!

Only one criticism I might have and may haunt you is the proximity of the first "U" bend next to the muffler.

Is it indeed touching? Do you think it may cause some noise or vibration or have some expansion issues?

In any case, can't wait to hear it and see it installed.

It's an illusion Tony

There is a gap, although sitting on the ground it is less than in the car. I didn't support the headers and they sagged a bit toward the muffler. Good eye though. :nod:

Nice work!

One question - I angled my muffler the other way so that the tailpipe exits are the lowest point - no concerns about moisture / water accumulation in the can with the outlets higher up than the inlets?

I don't know if that muffler is glass packed or not, but a strategic small hole or two might eliminate future rust-out from the bottom. IT looks stainless though, so really not an issue is it?

it'll blow out once it gets hot :)

The only question I have is, does the exhaust system have a mating flange or is the entire exhaust system one connected piece?

'PeteX1/9

Good question Pete

There are slip joints where the pipes run under the chassis. They are very tight fitting and overlap from bend to bend. They aren't pushed all the way home in this pic. They are slipped on while the manifold bolts are a little loose. It remains to be seen if they will leak or not, if they do there is just enough room to fit clamps.

Obviously this is all very experimental.

Brilliant

Hey Rob. Absolutely brilliant. Just what I had pictured, except in mirror image. I thought you were planning to just go from the collecter through a single 180 into the muffer from the left side (like the original). But of course I now realize with your dual outlet muffler it really doesn't matter where you have the inlet !

And I thought you were having the tailpipes exit through the grill, but it looks like you are exiting under the rear valance ??

I plan to have mine exit through the grill, so did you happen to try holding the muffler up flat against the bottom of the trunk. I tried to measure on my car, but it looks too close to tell without actually trying....

Can't wait to hear how you like the sound.

The only suggestion I have for you now is...to get a patent !!!

Well done. Cheers, Doug

Through the grille

G'day Doug, The pipes exit through the grille. I haven't modified the grille yet.

This morning I threw these ANSA resonator tips on the ends.

I also welded a couple of bolts onto the primary pipes and installed a heat shield.

I've just come back from a quick drive. I love it. No drone. I can't tell if it is quieter than the old system or just a lower tone. At 60mp/h it has a lovely bass tone and a rather fetching burble on the over-run. It gets off the line better and the mid-range... :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

If I were to do again I would install the muffler flat just under the boot (trunk) floor and then run the pipes and flexible section under it. I think it would probably make fitting easier.

Now onto the winter project, building a BVH 1600 engine.

Cheers,

Rob

2.125"

But I cheated and used the tips of this part

Which was already on the car

I believe it is an ANSA TK5077?

Cheers,

Rob

Back