PhotoChopping the front end

Clark

True Classic
So.... I haven't even got my X yet and I am thinking the unthinkable already. I have never been able to keep any machine stock so why should I stop now. I just don't like the look of the stock front end. Hence the photoshopping. Are there any things that I should know as design criteria before I create a look that I love and have to abandon? I have read that the X's can run hot but with no experience I have no clue. I plan on creating a modification shaped from Styrofoam and ultimately fiberglassed. Here is what I have come up with so far..... I think my favorite is the top right at the moment.

PhotoChop_zps4cztt4qx.jpg

I like the top left the best. I don't like painting mustaches on someone else's artwork.

I like the one on the top left ;)

As for modified ones, the top right looks good - the bottom two just say 1st gen Miata to me.

So.... I haven't even got my X yet and I am thinking the unthinkable already. I have never been able to keep any machine stock so why should I stop now. I just don't like the look of the stock front end. Hence the photoshopping. Are there any things that I should know as design criteria before I create a look that I love and have to abandon? I have read that the X's can run hot but with no experience I have no clue. I plan on creating a modification shaped from Styrofoam and ultimately fiberglassed. Here is what I have come up with so far..... I think my favorite is the top right at the moment.

PhotoChop_zps4cztt4qx.jpg
I don't need a radiator so I cut ten inches of the front. I have toyed with the idea of going back to an ICE and if I did thought about putting the radiator in the rear of the car. I had a Renault Caravel that had a rear radiator. If I did ever get another X, I just might try it.

II have read that the X's can run hot but with no experience I have no clue.

If an early carbed X like yours overheats, something is wrong - the cooling system is more than adequate when working properly. There are many threads over in the workshop section about things to check if the car is overheating, but there is no need for mods to increase cooling capacity beyond what was designed in. I wouldn't do anything that reduces the airflow through the radiator though - that could easily create an overheating problem.

As for the aesthetics of what you're proposing.... Do consider that one seldom sees the car up close at the angle from which your shots were taken. Try a few shots taken at normal standing/viewing height as well, and you may find that blocky rectangular opening is less objectionable than you're thinking, harmonizes better with the overall wedge shape than Miata-esque curves. Also it makes a big difference whether the light pods are up or down, and you'll probably care more about the pods-down look.

This X is similar to what you seem to want

Dscf0057.jpg

Dscf0054.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. The guy did a nice job with the metalwork.

One technical thought and one OPINION...

Technical thought...

The spoiler under the car not only scoops and directs air UP to the radiator to go through it, it creates a low pressure area behind the radiator to suck the air DOWN and out to the rear. Racers cut large holes or vents in the hood so the air just goes UP and OUT... sacrificing the frunk space, which is not an issue for a racer.

Opinion...

I once saw a 1/4 mile "flammed" Willys Race Car with bud vase and a rose inside. Some things, even nice things, just don't go together very well. X1/9s are all about angles and like others have said... the top left photo appears to FIT and look BEST. Keep the rounded and smile-ly faced grilles for those cute little Mazdas.

Technical thought...Keep the rounded and smile-ly faced grilles for those cute little Mazdas.

I get it...but to me the stock X looks stunned with it's mouth agape. The top right at least looks a bit cheeky and is sticking it's tongue out.

clown face

Mazda almost killed the sales of their Mazda3 and then other models with their new corporate " smiley face" front end stylinga few years ago like two of your suggestions. I don't like the smiley face grill openings and as others have suggested the original opening is very nice looking. I understand the desire to do something custom but I don't think changing the contours of the grill opening is what you want.

But that's just my personal taste. If it makes you feel good then change it.

carl

Now it looks like Mater

Like tomato without the "tuh".

I forgot that up here in Canada it is a $110 fine if you run without a front license plate. Now it looks like Mater!
(Haven't given up yet -- still changing things.....)

mater_zps5ygto8te.jpg

Front end

Hi,

I do like your creations. They are looking good and subtle. There are those who likes to keep body stock, and those who are into modifications. It's all a matter of taste. Also, it may me something that could be reverse.

FIY, in Canada we don't have to keep plates in the front. Maybe in Ontario, but in Quebec, we don't. Unless you mean Quebec is not part of Canada, but that is another subject! :mad3:

Daniel Forest
Montreal, Canada

Stop it! :)

Or do it to someone else's car!

That is my car in the pics...
And it is staying stock :p

Oh my goodness...That's hilarious!!
I am now starting to feel under pressure. Sooner or later another one is going to bite the dust Ulix. But don't stop me now...this show must go on. I know it's not like you're my best friend but at this rate you must feel like you need somebody to love.

OK. Now I have to stop... that was just bad! But I couldn't help myself :) Sorry.

Back