Piston to bore clearance - 1600 build

Rearranged garage space and installed some bits

First I set up a clean bench next to the engine. Parts are set on this and NO machine work is to be done on this bench.

I installed the oil cooler and hardware. The hoses will be shortened before final fitting of the engine into the car. They will be about 2/3 their current length which will reduce internal resistance.

The cooler will be mounted just in front of the gearbox.

Rigid lines under the motor work Just fine I wouldn't trust rubber hoses trailing all the way over the back of the motor & trans.

I used Volvo 700 turbo lines with only slight modification & also installed the cooler behind the trans, parallel to the cross member

Looking amazing!!!
I especially love the idea of an oil cooler but what model of oil filter are you planning on using as I found clearance to be a real issue.
I bought a very similar type adapter to run my oil pressure and oil temp gauges and had to return it as I couldn't get my oil filter on. An oil filter adapter that would allow the filter to be installed vertically would be very ideal.

Would installing the oil cooler behind the drivers side vent be a good spot?

Mann filter for Volvo 200/700 2.3l fits fine ....

IMG_2825_zpsb81ef4be.jpg

....using Volvo bolt into block - it's slightly shorter than the stock Fiat one

IMG_2824_zps7bd316e3.jpg

IMG_2823_zpsc1df107c.jpg

I forgot to mention...

...that a thermostat will be plumbed in close to the filter housing.

Hussein wrote: "Rigid lines under the motor work Just fine I wouldn't trust rubber hoses trailing all the way over the back of the motor & trans."

I hear ya, but one bad experience with solid lines have scarred me. We had a new RX7 cooler with metal lines on our RX2 rally car and after just a handful of events one of the lines broke and we lost all oil and the engine in a matter of seconds. These rubber hoses are rated at 300psi and will only be about 18" long once everything is buttoned up because I will mount the cooler at the front side of the gearbox, not the back. I will be fabricating a bracket for mounting the cooler to the gearbox at an angle to take advantage of air coming up from under the car. Also this way there will be no flexing between the engine and the cooler.

Pete wrote: "Looking amazing!!!
I especially love the idea of an oil cooler but what model of oil filter are you planning on using as I found clearance to be a real issue.
I bought a very similar type adapter to run my oil pressure and oil temp gauges and had to return it as I couldn't get my oil filter on. An oil filter adapter that would allow the filter to be installed vertically would be very ideal."

I currently have a Fram PH7 filter. Clearance may be an issue but I won't really know until I install the engine.

"Would installing the oil cooler behind the drivers side vent be a good spot?"

It would, but I want to use that vent to supply cool air to the carb air filters. If that isn't possible, then yes, it would be good for the oil cooler, which is why I have left the hoses "long" for now.

Cheers,

Rob

Back