replacing clutch lever

You will need to recheck the length of your adjuster rod between slave and arm, since it is probably wrong length for the now properly seated T/O bearing :)

Yes, at one point I had swapped in a longer one, then went back to stocker adjusted all the way out. Will reset the whole works.
Interested to see if the lever is at a better spot now, of course, two changes have been made, whole new lever/fork assembly and repositioned T/O (and new clutch disc, resurfaced flywheel…..)

I doubt you'll have any problems with this T/O bearing...

But they aren't too expensive and several come with retaining clips so its difficult to install them wrong. If you still feel uncomfortable... you could buy one to TEST fit and/or keep as a spare or return if its a local store.

Hope this solves all your problems and you can enjoy the car a bit more...

Oh... one last thing. DO NOT install the trans until the bell housing is a clean as Dan's...

Those things can also be easily "installed" backwards...

with deadly results.

Our "Survival school" instructor also show us Navy folks some of the drawbacks with these weapons.

The VC were known to sneak in and carefully turn these things around the night before they raided a compound... as it was difficult to read the print from afar, even if they could be seen.

The Army folks got wise to this and painted the backside white... The
VC would sneak in and paint front side white... and then turned them around again!

Gearbox still out

I noticed in one of your earlier pics that one of the holes and threads on the bell housing where the lower engine mount bolts up may have worn out threads. Now would be good time to install helicoil kit. Not cheap. Maybe check it out. Pain to have it strip later at engine install. Bin there done that.
Just sayin.

Everything back together. Clutch lever is in a much happier place, slave rod easily has enough left on the end for a spring! (so I threw one on, not stock stuff, just some bits I had laying around). Clutch feels good, certainly different, sweet spot has come up quite a bit, still not running the pedal spring.
So I guess this whole time (4 years) I've been running with an upside down throwout bearing, PO installed but then I reinstalled (a new one) the same way, so I can't blame him completely. He got it wrong, I copied him so I'm just as guilty.:tomato: What a lot of trouble compensating for that all this time!
At least I guess that's the issue.
So that's good news. Car runs and shifts again, unfortunately my rear main seal job failed somehow, bummer.

This is my adjuster rod with preset for proper clearance for reference

Problem - My clutch felt 'wrong' today & I check the slave rod, it was loose in the slave. I had to adjust the rod, removing the extra 'give' provided by the damper spring on the adjuster rod.

I need to drive the X at the moment, so I haven't pulled the slave to check inside. Could the rod seat (piston?) have collapsed in the slave? Its not leaking.

Back