Sender/sensor confusion

FiatFunk

True Classic
I'm having a difficult time figuring out what this two prong sender is and which wires it goes to. Above spark plug #3.
It's a Canadian carbureted 1980 1500 no a/c.
I have another water temp sending unit with one green and white wire which I trace to the instrument panel, also the oil pressure sender with the grey/yellow wire, but can't figure this one out. Vicks sent me a water temp gauge unit but it doesn't fit either one, they said one sender is for the gauge and one is for the overheating light. I do not see the wiring for or see this two prong sensor on the Fiat wiring diagram. My gauge was not working so I'm thinking it's for that, also the voltmeter was not working, maybe related but the ground wire at the panel is making a good connection. I have a green wire and a hot double orange wire nearby, could be these.
Does anyone know what this sensor is and how it should be connected?
Thankyou

Attachments

• PXL_20240427_201850982.jpg
    PXL_20240427_201850982.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20240427_203147617.jpg
    PXL_20240427_203147617.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20240427-082950.png
    Screenshot_20240427-082950.png
    898.3 KB · Views: 45
On my 1300, that location has a thermal valve to enable/disable the vacuum retard hose to the distributor. Only two nipples, no electrical connections.

On my 1300, that location has a thermal valve to enable/disable the vacuum retard hose to the distributor. Only two nipples, no electrical connections.
On my Australian 1980 carb 1300, there is an electrical switch/sender - single pin connector. My Australian 78 carb 1300 is the same - the wire is green with a white trace. According to my correct for the car wiring schematic - this is the engine temp sender...

EDIT - apologies. Rereading your OP and looking at pic. This is not the sensor you are looking for [makes hand gesture]. I can see this sensor in your pic complete with green/white wire as per mine. None of my cars have that other two prong dodad. I do have an 81/82 Australian 1500 in bits and the head casting has that second location blank. That suggests to me that whatever you have there is emissions related as Australia lagged well behind on that front.

Last edited:
On my Australian 1980 carb 1300, there is an electrical switch/sender - single pin connector. My Australian 78 carb 1300 is the same - the wire is green with a white trace. According to my correct for the car wiring schematic - this is the engine temp sender...

EDIT - apologies. Rereading your OP and looking at pic. This is not the sensor you are looking for [makes hand gesture]. I can see this sensor in your pic complete with green/white wire as per mine. None of my cars have that other two prong dodad. I do have an 81/82 Australian 1500 in bits and the head casting has that second location blank. That suggests to me that whatever you have there is emissions related as Australia lagged well behind on that front.
It was definitely part of the emissions control system as was the vacuum retard on the Ducelier distributor. I think I had it all disconnected before the car was a week old.

The temp sensor and the oil idiot light sensor is in that general area with the oil pressure sensor down near the oil filter.

It was definitely part of the emissions control system as was the vacuum retard on the Ducelier distributor. I think I had it all disconnected before the car was a week old.

The temp sensor and the oil idiot light sensor is in that general area with the oil pressure sensor down near the oil filter.
Yep gotta be emissions related, sounds like gulp valve.
The only oil pressure sensor I have is the one near the top of the block at the front with the grey/yellow wire for the light. Nothing down by the filter. I should've added one when I was building the engine

Yep gotta be emissions related, sounds like gulp valve.
The only oil pressure sensor I have is the one near the top of the block at the front with the grey/yellow wire for the light. Nothing down by the filter. I should've added one when I was building the engine
The oil pressure gauge was on the earlier cars. When I switched to a 1500, the oil pressure sensor position was no longer drilled and tapped. I ended up using this banjo type port doubler from MWB and connected the oil pressure sensor and the idiot light sensor to the location just below the head.

Last edited:
The gulp valve thermoswitch closes below about 43F. So a simple immersion in ice water or slightly warmer would tell the tale. And it should be open in your hand. Unless you have very cold hands of course. But I have to say, neither of the two you show look like the same switch I have.

Here is a photo I found of the port doubler with the oil pressure and idiot light senders on my 1500. As you can see, my 1500 also appears to have that two pin "gulp valve" device. By the time I got the engine, most of the emissions stuff was gone.

MWB Banjo Port Doubler with Oil Warning & Pressure Senders.jpg

Thanks, I knew it was some sort of auxiliary or emissions switch but must have got them crossed....gulp valve, not carb fan. The California smog spec 1979 X that I had was FULL of various things like that. One of the very first things I did was to remove all of it and go back to a basic layout. So I haven't looked at any of those devices since. :rolleyes:

Wasn't there a version of the carb'd X that had the cooling fan switch on the engine, not on the carb? Or am I confusing it with a older VW system.

Here is a photo I found of the port doubler with the oil pressure and idiot light senders on my 1500. As you can see, my 1500 also appears to have that two pin "gulp valve" device. By the time I got the engine, most of the emissions stuff was gone.

View attachment 84121
Thanks Don, so did you add an oil pressure gauge from that sender? My car only has the idiot light and not a gauge. I'd feel a lot better actually seeing the pressure!

Vicks sent me this email just now, which just doesn't make sense. The sensor they sent me does not fit anywhere on my head.

"Your car is NOT right.
Both temp sensors have identical threads to the one we sent you.
Both sensors are 1 wire.
Disregard you manual because the factory mixed up which hole each one went in all the time. Simply if the needle don't work sway the wires."

Thanks Don, so did you add an oil pressure gauge from that sender? My car only has the idiot light and not a gauge. I'd feel a lot better actually seeing the pressure!
My 74 came with an oil pressure gauge as well as the idiot light. Later cars replaced it with a voltmeter.

Back