Soft top ideas?

WOW... What an IDEA!

What if an original top was sliced across in thirds or quarters after loosing all its side trim and seals... then slide together on guides or clipped somehow... I don't think hinge-ing together would work due to the curvature and bulkiness.

But what and "avenue" to look at!

Design ideas

Also take a look at how Porsche does it on the 911 Targa top. It has a folding scissor frame that pulls the fabric tight as it expands into the mounts on the car (it pops open kind of like an umbrella).

Yep... that's the term, SCISSOR-LIKE!

Those words escaped me and if taunt enough, would not require side rails. Damn... wish I had thought of that the FIRST time!

Folding top.... thick fabric?

What about a thick fabric, like that used in current convertible tops providing some support and folding flexibility. Would this be enough to give strength and allow folding if two large sections were cut from a top and fixed to the fabric, or maybe better and lighter a thin fiberglass or carbon fiber approximation of a top.

However, I am planning to build a light magnetically fixed quick tonneau first, as that excites my son who would like something really quick to put on on the sunny days. So I'll have to watch you guys for production of the folding hard top. Post pictures!

Burt

Yes to the fabric...

As I stated earlier, it was the inexpensive black canvas I used that blew up and then stretched out, leaving my "stressed" side bars limp and the top all loose.

So you suggest cutting the top into 4 sections and then using the fabric to (re) cover it all... to hold it together and yet still be fold-able! That might just work well! It sure would minimize any stretching, especially with a high grade fabric...

Magnets... hmmmm, I still dunno. You go first!

Something like what the Bugatti has might work, but you have to know how to install it unlike these guys:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJIdS7mTBTI"]Bugatti Veyron Grandsport - Failing roof design on £1million + Supercar! - YouTube[/ame]

Ha! I wonder if they had a manual.

That Bugatti video is priceless. I think we could get the usual X top out of the frunk and pop it on and off many times in the time they take to figure that out.

quite some time ago...

Give him a call or get back to me...

:confused::confuse2::confuse2:

I think you are thinking of Ricardos Award and bucket full of detail equipment he got from that Show we went to a while back. I dont have any top pieces here...:king:

Go to eBay an search on "power window shade."

Look at the designs for the Mercedes and the Infiniti. Leaving aside the fact that these have heavy motors and have pretty beefy frames because the upper end is essentially unsupported, I think these two designs might be a good jumping off point.

The Infiniti I30 and I35 concept seems to be the one that I would try to emulate or copy, it's simpler than the Mercedes.

Regarding Bob Turchan's half-top

Dan's reference to the half-cover that Bob put together is a good idea, depending on the weather conditions where you live.

Currently I am residing in the south-west desert region where extreme heat and UV damage are a constant issue. And due to the fact there is not ample garage space to park all of my vehicles inside, my 'shop truck' lives out in the sun. So I purchased a half-cover like the one Bob put together for his X. It does a terrific job at cutting down the heat and UV exposure inside the vehicle. It is also easier to put on and off than a full cover. But I've realized a couple of set backs with it. The biggest one is that we get constant 20-30 MPH winds with gusts up to 50-60 MPH. Therefore the top just won't stay in place, despite adding additional anchor points and other modifications. Likewise, the wind makes it difficult to put it on by yourself (trying to put on a FULL cover is impossible in the wind). The other issue I've found is it does not keep out the dust and dirt that is excessive in this desert climate (it also might not be totally effective in keeping out rain, though we don't have that here). As a result of these issues I've discontinued using the half-cover, otherwise it should be a good option in other regions without such matters.
So I'm suggesting that you consider the conditions where you live and how you intend to use a 'temporary' top before deciding on the type/design you use.

Back