The Queen's recovery plan

WYOX19

True Classic
and a request for help. :help: After a few discussions with Mat, I'm sending the head and lower intake runners to midwest Bayless and they in turn will rebuild the head to performance specs and return same with gaskets and a 1300 timing gear. But there is a problem. I need to beg, borrow or steal a 17 mm off-set head wrench or the dimension for same to make.

I think you can make them Jim

I found these Photos posted by BMCK:

Looks like he made them from sockets and extensions. Nice job too...
I don't have dimensions.

P1020084.jpg

P1020083.jpg

Don't have one (thought I did) but I came across this one. Could it be.... the tool for the valves???

John

Last edited:
Just go to sears..

And pick up a 17mm crows foot. That will get the head off and to Matt. While he's working on it, you can find the correct set.

Bob Brown, a delayed thank you for the pics.
Rooster, Thank you, Sears is 3 hours away, but on-line is an option.
jvankyke, Thank you and yes, please send them. I'll PM you my address.
ng randolph thank you for the info.
EricH Thank you also for the additional info.

19mm vs 17mm

Jeff,

I don't think my wrenches will be of any use. The wrenches you have a 19mm for the older head bolts on engines that had studs. The newer head bolts are 17mm. I had to make my own set of wrenches.

You need them...

Why are these custom tools needed? Is it the same for a 1500? I don't understand what's going on here.

If you are installing the cylinder head with the "cylinder head extension" (cam box) in place. With the cam box in place it is not a straight shot to half the head bolts. In order to achieve proper torque readings, you need these tools to reach around the cam box.

The alternative is to install the cylinder head with the cam box off, then install it after the head is torqued down.

Pete

Special tools

Why are these custom tools needed? Is it the same for a 1500? I don't understand what's going on here.

The "special" tools are a couple wrenches custom made by Fiat to allow you to loosen or tighten the head bolts with the cam box still attached to the head. Here are the two wrenches. Ignore the little octagon, it is a wheel bearing retaining nut tool.

IM002336.jpg

IM002334.jpg

IM002333.jpg

If you take the head and cam box apart, you probably don't need them.

After a month of Fiat ownership, one thing becomes apparent... The Italians don't copy anyone's designs. At this point, I'm suprised they use a 12V battery. So you can remove the cylinder head without removing the valve cover? Wow, that's wierd. I had to fabricate a tool to remove the electrical connectors by filing down a trim removal tool. Now we're welding sockets to bent pipes. :eyepop: Then there's that valve shim tool.

John... and that is about it...

So far you have also experienced the knowledge that many of us took years to find.

My BIGGEST find was the access panel between the rear trunk and the engine bay that was installed on 79's forward.

All my manuals, even the Hayne's with the supplement didn't mention it.

When I found it, it made changing alternators and manifold gaskets a snap instead of hours of work. I posted it here and found MOST others didn't know about it either and probably many more not willing to admit it.

I had owned this car 15 years at that time!

Now I suggest anyone that has a '78 or earlier to make their own...

I believe in the 10+ years this site has been up it has helped many folks save their cars rather than burn them to the ground. HA!

Enjoy!

In a lot of ways, everyone else copies the Italians' design.

For example, in our little world:

Toyota MR2 and Fiero=copied x1/9

Almost every small and midsize FWD car today=copied FIAT's layout for the 128 (front wheel drive with engine and trans mounted inline transversely and unequal length half shafts)

Well, I didn't quite say that...

So you can remove the cylinder head without removing the valve cover? Wow, that's wierd.

The cylinder head extension is in 2 pieces. The first piece is the part the cam rides in. The second piece is the valve cover, which has the oil filler hole in it. You have to remove the second piece to remove the cylinder head, as I recall. But you do not have to remove the first piece.

Pete

Thank you Mlot. I've bought the necessary components and when the head comes back from Midwest BaylessI I'll make the head torquing tool.

When you get the head & cam box back, just make sure there is no coating on the shoulders for the cam box retaining bolts (the modified cam box was powder coated). I didn't do this the first time, and had the cam box leak as a result.

Back