Any interest in stainless headers & exhausts?

BrettM

1981 RHD X1/9
I have found a source that can make these for us if there is enough interest. First, any interest in a PBS style (or similar) header in stainless? How about a bolt on exhaust system in stainless that would bolt onto the header?

Just checking.
Brett

How about a new header design based on input from our X gurus? I would be interested in that.

Brother you are like 15 min from PBS and they are the Gurus!

Back to the question, it depends on cost. Not matter what I will be making one next summer because I can't stand the low carbon steel. If it can be made for nearly the same cost as what it would take me to do it I would be in.

Cost ist NOT the main issue!

Besed on some similar projects in the german forum (that resulted in very suboptimal "performance" parts - but they were cheap!), I would suppose that a good design is the main objective.
Cost and material would be secondary, since the main objective of a street header is to increase power and torque while maintaining driveablility.

For instance, I would say that a PBS style header is not the way to go for a street X.
On my 1300 and my 1600, this header produces a big torque dip between 2000 and 3000 rpm. Others have reported this too. The PBS header is a race piece and probably is well suited for this task.

Two friends of mine, who work with professionel motorsport engines, suggested that a long 4-2-1 exhaust would be much better, since a 4-1 design always creates a higher peak up high but with a bad dip down low in the rpm range (which supports my findings).

A 4-2-1 design usually produces a wide torque band without the peaks and dips.

IMO, a 4-2-1 design of proper length, that works with A/C and is sold with and without a quiet muffler system, would be the ticket.

Finding the optimal lengths for the different sections of the header would be the biggest problem.
My buddies say that to design this, they would need a lot of data which would be very hard to get for our motor.
Of course, a variable length header could be built and the optimal lengths for a typical motor could be determined on a dyno.

Ulix

Before few month I contacted Italian factory for buy ex manifold 4-2-1 they gave me good export price of 155e but min order of 10 pieces from each type, not from inox .

Hi, In first place I must apologize for next request and statement.

On beginning in 2008 year I buy from PBS two exhausts 4-1 (not inox) x1/9.
But I tray couple mounts before ordered more exhaust but without success.
No answer no replay... I send Fax request but no answers..

Can someone help me about this.
I have some special request about exhaust manifold (pipes / headers).
I heave project unique (i think first like this)

special request:
I use 1.6l 16V Bravo/Brava engine with Bore 86,40mm
Head modified, bigger inlet valves 33,5mm; valves stem 5,5mm
http://www.turbo124.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5954&p=52691#p52691
The camshafts it`s CATCAMS mechanical profile
In290°
ex272°
If you need more specification about cams i give you.
I placed engine in (chassis) zastava yugo fwd.
I need exhaust (pipes/headers)) 4-1
Pleas If someone can contact (speak) with PBS and give me exception about my Project.

Can you give me a hand.

Regards

Last edited:
Yes this is correct. The 4-2-1 will give you more torque in the lower rpms while sacrificing the high end hp - better for street, autocross, rally etc. Sorry, I am a bit myopic in that I am looking or the most power on the track, which comes from a 4-1 design. So this really brings up a good point should there be two designs based from a single manifold flange?

I'd be interested in seeing someone reproduce the old free flow quad tip exhaust that Bayless used to sell back in the '80s. I had one for years 'til it finally rusted out and had to go back to the standard one tip. I really liked how it sounded and looked on the car.

I am interested in a exhaust system with a header

I have a 1986 X19 with air conditioning and I have been looking all over for a header exhaust system for it.

Thanks Tom

2cdc_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=110351651390&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

We use the CSC exhaust as its just about the only one you can get in the Uk, i have one on my car and it's pretty spot on for sound and power,not sure if it'll work on American or air conditioned cars though. You guys have the tailpipe on the opposite side?

Except for the '74s

The US '74s have the exhaust pipe exiting at the left-hand side.

LOL, I've always wondered why the changed it, most cars now have dual tailpipes, Euro cars have them on the left, japanese on the right,My Dodge D100 had huge sidepipes... I have no idea why Bertone made 2 different rear panels and different exhausts!

They changed that because of the catalytic converter addon.
Last year we (at X1/9 gathering Rubiera/Italy) have visited the small CSC Marmitte factory in Gazzo di Bigarello.
The boss Mr. Cavalli told me that he would make a exhaust for the X1/9 with FI, but in Italy there´re nearly no fuel injected X1/9 and no X1/9 with A/C - they have no car for a development/tests. So some guys from Germany will make a visit again for some days with a fuel injected A/C car next time.
Maybe CSC will then have a good exhaust this summer for fuel injected X1/9. :)

This design is from a small workshop in Australia (unfortunately not stainless):
iusx19-1.jpg

x19ext1.jpg

This a 4-2-1 design with acceptable pipe lengths. In my opinion this is the way to go!!

Now, the first prototype of the new CSC exhaust for FI cars (with and without A/C!) is completed.
The exhaust system has the typical CSC Marmite fan-type exhaust pipe design taken from CSC carb X1/9 system.
The muffler is combined with a 200 cell catalytic converter. And the system will completely made in stainless steel.

But there is still no price.

Back