Tire size for 14x6 wheels

Yokohama S Drives if you can find them in 185/55 15. I think Tire Rack is selling through on these.

Edit well after the fact:

I meant 185/55 14

The 15”s would be 195/45 15.

I plead brain damage and typing too quickly

Last edited:
Yokohama S Drives if you can find them in 185/55 15. I think Tire Rack is selling through on these.
Karl, I have a set of 14x6 panasport style wheels for my X, wearing Yokohama 185/55/r14 tires.
The backspace for 2 units is 4”, and the other 2 is 4.5”. They came with a spacer that’s 1” thick.
Can you tell me which set goes on front vs rear, and do all 4 wheels need the spacers?
Bill from your city

Hey Bill

So in all likelihood you do not need the spacer if the data you provided is as I interpret it.

The 4” back space rims would go on the back and the deeper 4.5” backspace rims would go on the front.

Due to the offset, the width, and the diameter you may find that the front tires will drag on the wheel opening at full lock, so I would try them out at low speed. You may need to roll the front fender lips to give more clearance for the tires. Depending on the caster setting on your car it may drag more on the front edges (when turning left the left tire may drag the back edge of the tire on the front of the wheel opening and vice versa for the right) or on the rear. Caster can have a significant effect on which end you tend to have trouble with.

The rear tires likely will need to have the fender rolled at the top due to them sticking out so much farther.

In any case, trying them out will tell the tale.

Tom Walters has a set of 124 Turbo type rims in 14” with the same tire and doesn’t have any significant issues with rubbing on his X. His rims are 5.5” wide and have a 27mm offset

I modelled it relative to the older 165/70 13 tire as it is a larger diameter tire than the 185/60 13 tires many run and will be much more like your new tires. The first image shows the rims that should go on the front and second image shows the rims that should go on the rear.

8A4AA280-0012-49E0-AA49-6D153E3B2F4E.png

9583F470-221A-47F3-833A-51911367D4AB.png

My wheels are 14x6, 22mm offset. I haven’t test fit them yet though as they have Alfetta tires on them which are way too big for the X.

Hey Bill

So in all likelihood you do not need the spacer if the data you provided is as I interpret it.

The 4” back space rims would go on the back and the deeper 4.5” backspace rims would go on the front.

Due to the offset, the width, and the diameter you may find that the front tires will drag on the wheel opening at full lock, so I would try them out at low speed. You may need to roll the front fender lips to give more clearance for the tires. Depending on the caster setting on your car it may drag more on the front edges (when turning left the left tire may drag the back edge of the tire on the front of the wheel opening and vice versa for the right) or on the rear. Caster can have a significant effect on which end you tend to have trouble with.

The rear tires likely will need to have the fender rolled at the top due to them sticking out so much farther.

In any case, trying them out will tell the tale.

Tom Walters has a set of 124 Turbo type rims in 14” with the same tire and doesn’t have any significant issues with rubbing on his X. His rims are 5.5” wide and have a 27mm offset

I modelled it relative to the older 165/70 13 tire as it is a larger diameter tire than the 185/60 13 tires many run and will be much more like your new tires. The first image shows the rims that should go on the front and second image shows the rims that should go on the rear.

View attachment 10272

View attachment 10274
Karl, thanks so much for the in depth reply! Sounds like I should take it easy first to check the fit clearances.
Bill

Glad to help. Hopefully I have interpreted your data correctly.

Bill, do you have the proper bolts for alloy wheels? They are longer than those used for steel rims.

FYI

Note, Yokohama 185/55/14 S-drive is being discontinued.
Just put a set on the 74' with 14x6 Bi-Turbo wheels. Fits fine.

When this set of S-drives are done, I'm likely going to need a new set of wheels and search for possible tires that can fit-work.
In today's world of Jumbo sized Motos, SUVs and oversized wheels with painted on rubber, trying to get small sized performance road tires have been very trying with very few choices.

Bernice

Glad to help. Hopefully I have interpreted your data correctly.

Bill, do you have the proper bolts for alloy wheels? They are longer than those used for steel rims.

FYI
Ken, you have great point. The bolts that came with the wheels are a full 1-7/8” of threads. That’s probably way too long. They must have been used with the 1” spacers that I will not be using. Would Midwest-Bayless be a good source for bolts.
Bill

Note, Yokohama 185/55/14 S-drive is being discontinued.
Just put a set on the 74' with 14x6 Bi-Turbo wheels. Fits fine.
Bernice

You know, what held me back from buying the S.Drives is I didn’t really love the tread pattern for the X1/9. Too modern to my eye, so I always held off. Hmmm. I had it in my head I’d just order some tires from the UK or Europe. I mean mytyres.co.uk has 44 choices in this size—many of them crap, but many are good brands.

Post pics, I wouldn’t mind seeing your 14” wheels with these tires.

Ken, you have great point. The bolts that came with the wheels are a full 1-7/8” of threads. That’s probably way too long. They must have been used with the 1” spacers that I will not be using. Would Midwest-Bayless be a good source for bolts.
Bill

Yes MWB would be a good source for typical OE bolts.

What brand are these wheels? Some may use a non conical bolt. Did these possibly originate from Mark Allison at Allison Automotive or ?

An additional element that can be in the mix are the OE spacers which could affect not only the offset stack up but also the wheel bolt choice.

One can omit the OE spacers or add a second one if you have sufficient bolt length though its not really best practice.

Karl

Karl, thanks, have some shorter bolts on order, they are conical. Not sure brand of wheels, advertised as “austrailian” whatever that means...they look like panasports.

Bill

Karl, thanks, have some shorter bolts on order, they are conical. Not sure brand of wheels, advertised as “austrailian” whatever that means...they look like panasports.

Bill

I presume you chose the longer 33mm “alloy” spec bolts versus those for steel wheels.

Tread pattern makes absolutely zero difference here, what matters is tire performance. Mechanical grip and chassis-suspension performance is much about why one owns an exxe.

Knowing Yoko S-drive was the only choice, when this set of tires are done and if there are no good alternatives, there will be another set of wheels and tires applied to this exxe.

Really not good with this as looks is near the bottom of the priority list.

Bernice

You know, what held me back from buying the S.Drives is I didn’t really love the tread pattern for the X1/9. Too modern to my eye, so I always held off. Hmmm. I had it in my head I’d just order some tires from the UK or Europe. I mean mytyres.co.uk has 44 choices in this size—many of them crap, but many are good brands.

Post pics, I wouldn’t mind seeing your 14” wheels with these tires.

Tread pattern makes absolutely zero difference here, what matters is tire performance. Mechanical grip and chassis-suspension performance is much about why one owns an exxe.

Knowing Yoko S-drive was the only choice, when this set of tires are done and if there are no good alternatives, there will be another set of wheels and tires applied to this exxe.

Really not good with this as looks is near the bottom of the priority list.
Bernice

Hah. Good. You’re awesome. :)

Back