The "Name That Part" game thread

khnitz

True Classic
When I acquired my 1973 Sport Spider 850 project in April out of Illinois, I was also able to purchase a 1969 parts car and a stash of extra Fiat parts from northern Ohio. I couldn't get all of the parts at that time, but this morning I was finally able to get the rest of the parts (another complete engine and transmission and front suspension for the Spider, and a bunch of other rear-engined Fiat parts that I will need help identifying). So, I thought I'd start a thread here to post pics as I clean the different items and try to identify them. I'll try to do my best internet sleuthing to pre-identify stuff, but your help is appreciated, too.

For now, I need to hang on to the Spider-useful spares, as I will be working to get the 1973 back in running condition over the Winter. But the seller said he used to have a few Fiats back in the day, and some of this stuff is likely Sport Coupe or other Fiat specific and won't be of help to me - but might to someone else.

Thanks for helping and playing along. I'll create individual posts for specific items, but here are a couple of pictures of what we hauled back this morning. There are a couple of engine lids in here (the blue one is a little bent, but the red one is in good condition - these might be from an 850 sport coupe...more detailed pics of those will follow), a couple of doors (not for the Spider), a couple of bumpers (not sure for what), radiators, flywheels, cranks, cylinder heads and more.

Attachments

• fiat parts haul 1.jpg
    fiat parts haul 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 165
  • fiat parts haul 2.jpg
    fiat parts haul 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:
This is a rear seat bottom, but I'm not sure for which Fiat...

Attachments

• seat bottom 1.jpg
    seat bottom 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
This indicator lens has STARS 1.76.01 on it, so some searching shows that this may be applicable to a number of Fiat and other vehicles. The chrome paint on the inside lip has flaked off in a couple of areas, but it may have been part of the NOS parts that were purchased when the local N.Ohio FIAT dealer closed and the previous owner bought all their leftover parts stock.

Attachments

• indicator lens 1.jpg
    indicator lens 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • indicator lens 2.jpg
    indicator lens 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
  • indicator lens 3.jpg
    indicator lens 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
And last one for today: this is a steering column switch, but for which Fiat I'm not sure. The numbers in the center are n17014.21219. I don't think this is NOS, as there are cracks in the levers (though I wonder if that is from age/shrinkage, rather than use). This parts stash was stored, but not in pristine/pampered conditions - it was in a transmission workshop.

Attachments

• steering column switch 1.jpg
    steering column switch 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • steering column switch 2.jpg
    steering column switch 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
  • steering column switch 3.jpg
    steering column switch 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
You have a bunch of 850 Coupe parts. The cushion, the door and the rear deck lid I can see in the pics are all Coupe parts. The column switch is likely correct for a Coupe as well though I don’t know that for sure. The lens can be used on both a 850 1st series Coupe and 124 A Coupe

I am up at LSSU so I can’t access my parts book for the Coupe right now but can check when I get back tomorrow night.

My’68 850 Spider had a column switch like that.

0038EFE6-B8D8-40BD-8647-48C0D7386267.jpeg

And last one for today: this is a steering column switch, but for which Fiat I'm not sure. The numbers in the center are n17014.21219. I don't think this is NOS, as there are cracks in the levers (though I wonder if that is from age/shrinkage, rather than use). This parts stash was stored, but not in pristine/pampered conditions - it was in a transmission workshop.

I see a coupe dash, drivers side door and rear engine lid (looks bent at corner). Seat bottom appears to be for a coupe but I'd need to compare to what I have. If you're selling any of the coupe parts, I'd be interested in the seat bottom and seat back if in there somewhere and is black. The door card appears to be red or brown. If you have any black coupe door cards and cards beside the rear seat, I'd be interested in those too. Indicator/turn signal lens looks like it's for an 850 coupe and also 124 sedan (or coupe?) - would need to find mine to compare.

I don't need a coupe dash, but if it's in good condition, someone will want it.

You have a bunch of 850 Coupe parts. The cushion, the door and the rear deck lid I can see in the pics are all Coupe parts. The lens can be used on both a 850 1st series Coupe and 124 A Coupe

I'll second what Karl said, lots of 850 Coupe-ish stuff. In your first photo, the red engine lid looks to be early 850 Coupe, the bent blue one is either Coupe or Sport Coupe (can't tell from the angle). The radiator in front is the "early" style for 850 Sedan/Coupe/Sport Coupe, the one behind it is likely the "late" style radiator. The gas tank is pre-1970 for 850 Sedan/Coupe/Sport Coupe. Judging by the thermostat lid port angle, the engine appears to be early 850 Coupe (up to mid-'68) either 843cc or 817cc. I can't tell if the oil pan is a stock 850 (oil/dirt-covered) steel one or perhaps cast alloy (aftermarket). The 2 dashes are 850 Coupe/Sport Coupe. Going by the overrider style, the rear bumper looks to be '69-on 850 Sport Coupe. If the chrome trim on the door panel & arm rest are metal, the door is early 850 Coupe - if they're chromed plastic it would be 850 Sport Coupe.

The black seat is 850 Coupe/Sport Coupe lower rear, the Stars front turn lenses are early 850/124 Coupe. The steering column switch unit is for an 850, the particular model & year would depend on the wire positions within the white plastic terminal blocks (they varied). This item looks NOS to me, the 2 lever stalks will crack like that all on their own (age, heat, etc.) - I've got 2-3 NOS ones myself that cracked like that just sitting in a box within a box! A little JB Weld (epoxy), some sanding & black paint fixes 'em right up. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses so far. Some of you really zoomed in to identify more from the "here's the haul" pictures - and with the moving blankets still in the way and everything!

I went through and read the FS&W guidelines, so items for sale I will group and post there. *Edit: Out of respect for the server space needed for Xweb to host the photos* I try to shrink the photos before attaching them in a post, but I'll *also* put all the full-resolution images in a shareable Google drive folder here (I created a short url name for the folder):
https://tinyurl.com/FIAT-parts-in-SE-MI

*Edit: if the tinyurl link doesn't work for you, try the full link here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wQg3GcnUwyhG9r3x3M4QSXHW25qhpc5m

*Edit: I tried this link from multiple computers and phones not linked to my google drive account, and the link worked. So, there may be other filter/issues if you can't link through to the folder with the full resolution images. I will always at least have the smaller (lower resolution) images attached to an FS post. As of now, I haven't posted anything in that Drive folder that I haven't already attached to post in this thread.*

I'll keep this post just for helping to identify items ;).

Last edited:
Some of you really zoomed in to identify more from the "here's the haul" pictures - and with the moving blankets still in the way and everything!

I wasn't able to "zoom in" any further than what you provided, it's just a matter of knowing which details to look for. ;)

Also, I try to shrink the photos before attaching them in a post, but I'll put all the full-resolution images in a shareable Google drive folder here (I created a short url name for the folder):
https://tinyurl.com/FIAT-parts-in-SE-MI

Due to various 3rd-party hosting issues, it would probably be better to just post (attach) your photos here on Xweb. Just use the "Thumbnail" button when inserting your photos in the post. This puts a quick-loading thumbnail pic in your post, which can be clicked on to open a new window with the full-sized photo.

I pulled a few more parts out of the back of the truck last night. I haven't gotten around to cleaning them up, yet. Both the red and blue engine lids seem to be sport coupe items, and the red lid is in great shape. The blue lid (besides the aforementioned bent corner) will need the inner brace and air scoops tacked down. But it otherwise is good, too. I'm not sure to which 850 the rear body panel belongs. The red door is solid, though some dents will need to be pulled and smoothed over. The green door is in rougher shape. The door card that was visible appears to be black, but I need to clean off the dust to be sure. I haven't checked whether the trim on the inner door is chromed metal or plastic, yet. I'm sure you'll all identify even more in here :)

Attachments

• 00_Parts haul 3_sm.jpg
    00_Parts haul 3_sm.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • 00_Parts haul 4_sm.jpg
    00_Parts haul 4_sm.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
  • 00_Parts haul 5_sm.jpg
    00_Parts haul 5_sm.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
Back