Intermittent Wipers - Yes? No? Maybe?

tvmaster

True Classic
My 1974 reprinted manual says the car has two wiper speeds: intermittent, and full-on.

Reality - one wiper speed.

Did 74’s REALLY have intermittent wipers? If so, I guess it’s a motor problem?

thanks

Later cars added the intermittent option (meaning a third operating position for the lever) with a relay. Adding it would be some rewiring, I am sure someone has done it but I don’t have documentation for it.

Relays will greatly improve the speed of the two existing speeds to something closer to modern speeds. A modern motor can also help as has been documented.

Later cars added the intermittent option (meaning a third operating position for the lever) with a relay. Adding it would be some rewiring, I am sure someone has done it but I don’t have documentation for it.

Relays will greatly improve the speed of the two existing speeds to something closer to modern speeds. A modern motor can also help as has been documented.
I’m thinking the manual may not be a genuine ‘74 reprint. When you say a ‘modern’ motor, I didn’t realize you could fit a modern motor to the ‘old’ arm mechanism. Good news if so. Guess I’ll search for that then :)

Last edited:
I’m not aware of a “modern” motor replacement for the X, maybe someone else is. I'm not sure how good you are with wiring, but it may be possible to fit a later year turn signal/wiper switch assembly to the '74 column and then substitute a later year wiper motor. You would have to wire the intermittent timer into the wiper circuits as well. If you don't want to do that, then try doing the relay mod to run 12V directly to the motor instead of through all of the switch wiring that has too much resistance in it. It made a huge difference in the speed of my wipers. You also want to make sure the motor is in good condition. You can take it apart to make sure it is not rusted inside or that the gear mechanism needs cleaning and lubrication.
wiperrelaydiagram_zps0c0975a9.jpg

My ‘74 has an intermittent position. I’m pretty sure it has a hi and lo speed as well. The manual I have shows only one speed and an intermittent position.
89520C07-17A7-41EB-A7C6-7F9C063C5891.jpeg

9446F5DE-B350-41AC-95DF-7AF98F2E4C2D.jpeg

C1AD977F-CC7E-452B-AB11-26A9F43F9D5E.jpeg

My 75 X had 2 wiper speeds, Slow and Slower
When I turned on the wipers on my 79 for the first time, they made one sweep and stopped. I was pissed! I immediately thought "great! another thing I have to fix! Then moments later it happened again and I realized "for the first time" that later X's had intermittent wipers. Imagine my delight!
A modern feature in an otherwise non modern car. I haven't added a relay yet. So, they're still slow as ****, but after over 40 years they still work, and so does the freaking wash pump. Amazing!

Just for discussion, in some cases (e.g. other makes of cars) the translation of "intermittent" was intended to mean "momentary", as in the type where every time you move the lever in a spring loaded position the wipers cycle once...not time delayed repeated cycles. I'm not saying this was the case for the '74, just commenting like @DaveR said, sometimes the manuals translation can be misleading.

I've never tried it but apparently an intermittent function can easily be added to the X by using a replacement relay that has a "programmable" delayed cycle function. That relay is a part from early VW's. There are a couple different versions of the VW relay and off hand I'm not sure which VW (Bosch) part number would be most appropriate. Maybe someone that's done it can help.

The VW programmable intermittent wiper relay could be adapted to the X. It would just take a bit of work using your existing stalk and the first position (the slow or non existent intermittent position).

There are two different versions of the relay with slightly different programming techniques. One you turn on the wipers, wait the amount of time you want to be the interval, turn off the wiper and immediately turn it back on. The other version has you turn on the wiper, slightly pull back to enable the wash function (briefly) wait the amount of time you want it to interval and then pull back again to set the interval.

Either way a cool function that relies on knowing something which I personally find entertaining. I also like the VW rear wiper action on a hatchback which had you push the wiper stalk away and to push farther to get rear wash. In all these cases you don’t have to remove your hand from the wheel like most of the cars I drive now of days which require you to remove your hand from the wheel, grab, twist and then return to the wheel. Lots of stupid ergonomic and logic faults in modern automotive controls. Don’t get me started on going to a ‘glass’ cockpit for vehicle feature controls. VW has joined that bandwagon with the new A8 Golfs. Ugh. I hate the number of touch controls on our ‘new’ Jeep, some buried layers deep into the effing interface. It is all about the bean counters.

Thanks Karl. I believe there also might be a slightly different version used on later VW's that may not be compatible (different pins, etc). Somewhere I have all the part numbers and details. But I would take me awhile to find that. The ones to look were on some Mk1 and Mk2 water cooled models (e.g. Jetta, Golf, etc).

If anyone decides to get one of the VW "intermittent" relays, be aware the prices vary widely. If you buy a genuine VW one expect to pay around $40-50. However I've seen other aftermarket makers offer the same item for well under $10.

Wiper wiring mod, BWM...well all the X wire mods and LED lights everywhere including the headlights makes a huge difference to all the wiper speeds. And you don't have to choose between Light, heat or wipers anymore.

Back