Types of X1/9 owners

IMG_1253[1].JPG

KBabcock, the key is to start with a $600 shell and find another X for your #1/2 car.

You overlooked one more category.

#6. The watching from the sidelines because he/she is afraid or too lazy to jump in making excuses all the time.

That'd be me. I did own 3 during my lifetime, starting with a '74 for a year or two before needing to replace it with a family car. Then two more in the subsequent years, one with no reverse that I intended on repairing and one more recently that didn't really run and wound up being moved on to a person who planned on tracking it.

However, I am more of a keep it the way it was built person to include almost every vehicle I've owned in the last 55 years. The primary reason is my inherent cheapness! Beyond sway bar installed on my Miata's and wide steelies on my then new 1972 124 Spider I really don't spend money beyond care and feeding.

I am in #2 with my original ‘79, although I have done a few subtle upgrades that aren’t visible except for the CD30’s. I definitely joined #3 when I jumped in with both feet for a K20 swap. I still kept the appearance pretty stock, though, as I like the stealth approach.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one here that falls into the traditionalist category. I think the X1/9 is one of the best cars ever designed and have a hard time finding fault with anything. I use my car as a grocery getter in the congested inner city so it's perfect for that. But I also take it out to the twisties and warm the tires up with the top off now and then. Acceleration is overrated. A stock car feels like the year it was born, almost like a time machine. A '90 Toyota Celica can easily outrun a '57 300SL but I know which I'd prefer a drive in.

One thing I think should be said is that I don't have a problem with a mod if it really makes something work better (low beam relay for example) but I make sure the work is well marked and documented for the next owner and is easily revertable (i.e. no cut wires). Every day technology improves and what was magic yesterday is quickly obsolete tomorrow. In a few years we may be able to completely rewire an X1/9 with a $10 programmable controller that fits in the palm of the hand leaving the entire wiring harness unchanged.

If you do choose to modify a pristine car at least try for revertability, document what you did, and don't discard the original parts. It will help retain the car's value and make it somewhat easier to sell.

I'm somewhere between a 2 and a 3.

My '79 is hardly stock so I think based on that, I'm a 3. The 2nd owner had his mechanic install an '84 FI engine and transmission and about a year later, I bought the car. He also picked up a set of CD-58s from a junk yard. Discussions about maintaining a car's originality amuse me because of the changes already done to my car and the mileage on it.

At that time (July 2000), the odometer read about 60,000 miles and now it reads about 63,000 miles. Logically, that says in the last 21+ years, I've driven it a bit more than 3,000 miles. Which would put make me #1 (woo hoo!! I'm #1).

But truthfully, the actual mileage is closer to 363,000 of which, I've added on about 90,000 miles.

The car is pretty similar to what it was when it was new to me, although I did change the stereo 15+ years ago. I definitely like to drive the car - preferably with the top off. I love the way the car feels when I drive it and I love how I feel when I drive it too. It doesn't get driven in the rain all that much anymore - strictly by my choice - there's nothing wrong with it in the rain.

But I'm possibly also a 3. At a FIAT America tech session years ago, we installed new KYB Struts and cut the springs. I've also run differnt wheels on the car - almost always Cromodora (CD-30s, CD-58s, CD-31s and even CD-19s as well as some off-brand wheels, but the name and model escapes me - I want to say Shelby wheels from an early to mid-80s Shelby Charger? I wouldn't mind putting a new powertrain in but lack of ability to do the work myself and money to pay someone (and fear of California smog laws) keep me running a very stock engine. Oh and did I say I love love love to drive my X1/9? Almost anywhere, anytime preferably with the top off.

I don't fall into any category. The particular car is the determining factor. If it's a pristine example, it will stay that way. If it has needs it'll get modified. If it's a track car, it'll stay a track car. When I'm on the hunt for something particular, I try to match the car to the build objective.

Number 2+. Bought my 1979 new in Santa Monica, California. After moving to Indiana, dismantled smog controls, swapped out the CA versions of carb and distributor vacuum advance to the 49 state versions. Added wider wheels & tires, and front & rear anti-sway bars. So not the number 1 stock version any more, but still all Italian!

Attachments

• B0FD2137-4E9B-42DB-90A9-2AC344E67326.jpeg
    B0FD2137-4E9B-42DB-90A9-2AC344E67326.jpeg
    376.4 KB · Views: 95
I used to carry my bike on the back of my X for awhile. The motor would reliably die after 20 minutes and I wanted a way to get home as I tried to figure out what the problem was (bad fuel pump).

Number 2+. Bought my 1979 new in Santa Monica, California. After moving to Indiana, dismantled smog controls, swapped out the CA versions of carb and distributor vacuum advance to the 49 state versions. Added wider wheels & tires, and front & rear anti-sway bars. So not the number 1 stock version any more, but still all Italian!
Sounds like a 2.5 for sure. Maybe a 2.8. (Now someone needs to start a metric for a numerical scale. :rolleyes: )

I'm a 3, pretty much regardless of car. I've certainly spent time thinking about modifications from mild to wild on every car I've owned. I'm also a practical procrastinator, so I don't always get around to executing everything that pops into my brain.

I was a 2. Had an very original Green '74. I was the second owner and even the paint was original. Beautiful car but just too darn slow. I could not bring myself to mod such an original car so I sold it 10 yrs. ago to the president of the Michigan Fiat club I think. I wonder if He's still on this forum and still has the car?
IMGP3314.JPG

But the X kept calling to me. I've owned four. So I got another one that is not so original and I'm going to be a 3, and mod it up to my liking.

00Q0Q_2ODIXkm11Ufz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Now, Honda or full electric???

Back